Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203747 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »
I've enjoyed doing it and going to Glanwydden to see things.  It's a lovely little village and I did fancy living there at one time but couldn't afford the Windmill when my friend Roger put it up for sale.    :(

Does Jane know the name of Elias' son Edward's wife?   The reason I'm asking is that I saw something in the Archives but the dates didn't match up but that 1841 Census may be the reason.

Offline jane B

« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2011, 03:57:00 pm »
Hugo, I have Elias's son Edward Roberts (born c 1840 Llangwstenin, living at 4 Fford Cottages Llandrillo Yn Rhos from 1871-1911) Married to Margaret.... born about 1839 at Eglwysbach, Denbighshire. They had 2 sons, Robert Roberts born c 1868 Llangwstenin and Elias Roberts born  c1871 Llandrillo yn Rhos. Does the property still exist?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »
What I found in the Archives yesterday were burial details for Edward Roberts and Margaret Roberts. The details were again in Welsh but this is what it said:-
They are buried in Capel Ainon Glanwydden in plot No B006. The details read that Edward died June 13th 1916 aged 72, also his wife Margaret of 4 Rhos Road,  Rhos on Sea died December 19th 1911 aged 72.

So as not to confuse you Rhos on Sea is the English name for it's correct Welsh name of Llandrillo yn Rhos. In other words they are the same place.

4 Rhos Road  Rhos on Sea will still be there but must have changed over the years but as for 4 Ffordd Cottages Llandrillo yn Rhos I'm not so sure.    Ffordd in Engish means road so the name just means 4 Road Cottages so it could be anywhere.  There is someone on the forum who lived in Rhos and has golfing connections with the Orme who may know that answer.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:58 pm »
This has been a great thread, thanks to Hugo keeping up the momentum!
There is a holiday cottage opposite the Queens Head called the Old Storehouse, it is on the pub's website.
Would 2 Vardre cottages have been more in the vicinity of Deganwy?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #364 on: October 28, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »
Suepp,  I've made a   $booboo$  I didn't read the post properly and mistook Vaynol Cottage for Vardre Cottage.      :-[

It may be Deganwy like you say but the Roberts' had close ties with Glanwydden and the surrounding area and I've seen the name somewhere in that area before but can't remember where..    ?{}?

Offline emma p

« Reply #365 on: October 28, 2011, 09:27:48 pm »
Ive just googled 4 Rhos Road and its a shop on the promanade ! Have i got the right one ?  Nothing for 4 Ffordd cottages ??

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: October 28, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »
Ive just googled 4 Rhos Road and its a shop on the promanade ! Have i got the right one ?  Nothing for 4 Ffordd cottages ??
Most of those buildings were originally houses that were converted into shops many years ago.

Offline emma p

« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »
Storehouse Cottage (holiday let), belonging to The Queens Head, Glanwydden.

Offline jane B

« Reply #368 on: October 29, 2011, 08:44:46 am »
Hi, thanks for continuing to look!Evan Roberts born c 1881 in Llandudno was the relative with the house and shop at 2 Vardre Cottages. He and his siblings all lived in Llandudno by then. His brother Lewis born c 1879 Llandudno lived at 5 Jubilee Street, which was close to his father. He was a postman. Would the post office have any records of him working there?

I took the address for 4 Fford Cottages at Llandrillo Yn Rhos from the census so know no more than that.

Offline jane B

« Reply #369 on: October 29, 2011, 10:52:02 am »
Didn't read Hugo's reply properly re Fford Cottages but I have got that one straight now.Thanks for the grave references and translation.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
Thanks Jane for giving the info about Evan as it helps to narrow the search down as we know now it is in Llandudno.  There is a Vadre Lane in the town and the search may well lead to there. In the Archives there are Street Indexes on Llandudno that help to locate people's addresses. They are in alphabetical index and if you don't know the street where the person lived then you go to the alphabetical index which tells you. The index however only lists one name and that's usually the breadwinner or head of the household.
The indexes only start from 1911 though but are handy for reference.

The info you got from the Census about FFordd Cottages,  would you mind listing some addresses either side of this so we can see if they help at all and also the year of the Census.

Offline jane B

« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2011, 11:47:57 am »
Hi Hugo, the next address on the 1891 census was  I think Mount Pleasant. There were lots of other unrelated people listed at Fford Cottages. The other part of the address was Penrhyn View. They were at this same address on each census until 1911.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #372 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:55 pm »
Hi Jane,  I'm afraid that the names of the other cottages does not help much.  Is it Evan that lived there?

I know that you gave the address as Llandrillo yn Rhos but by pure coincidence the only cottage called Penrhyn View that I know is in Glanwydden nearly opposite the Windmill and around the corner are a number of cottages called Ffolt Cottages but I  don't expect that they are the ones you are looking for. If you just confirm the persons name then I'll have a look again and perhaps local knowledge may help me to trace the address.

Offline jane B

« Reply #373 on: October 29, 2011, 04:45:34 pm »
Hi Hugo, It was Edward and Margaret Roberts that lived there.
Also, I have just spotted in my notes a William Roberts (youngest brother of Enoch born 13.11 1853 who lived in Jubilee st etc), William was born about1876 in Llangwstenin and on the 1911 census lived at Ty Canol Llangwstenin which is described as a 2 roomed cottage. He was employed by Colwyn Bay UDC as a stoker and lived at that address with wife Maria and 4 children. Must have been very crowded! Does that address still exist?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #374 on: October 29, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »
Ffordd Cottages are on Rhos Road http://g.co/maps/94xmd