Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203784 times)

Offline CurlyCap

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2011, 05:16:00 pm »
I agree totally - The Cottage is definitely Rofft Bach, like Dave R says, even down to the sky light in the roof, I just think it's situated on Llwynon Road as opposed to Rofft Place. (I could be wrong though !)  :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:27 pm »
I agree totally - The Cottage is definitely Rofft Bach, like Dave R says, even down to the sky light in the roof, I just think it's situated on Llwynon Road as opposed to Rofft Place. (I could be wrong though !)  :)

When I went to the Archives and had a look at a book on street names it definitely said that Rofft Place was built on the site of Rofft Bach.  After seeing Dwsi and Nemesis' photos I think that they have got it wrong as Rofft Place is butting up to the hill behind it. It could well be that one of those three properties on the top left of Dwsi's photo is "Rofft"  and Rofft Place was where Rofft was and not Rofft Bach.
It looks very close to the Black gate area but I'm not convinced that it is in the bottom part of Llwynnon Road but I'm sure that we'll find out sometime.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »
Ok, I have a theory to put forward. I'm saying that Roft Bach was the white cottage visible in the photos and it was maybe demolished in 1901 in order to widen the road and allow for the construction of the Tramway. You can see in the second photo how it has been demolished (site marked by the red box) and the stone boundary wall put up. Click on photos to view larger version.

[smg id=2551]

[smg id=2550]

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2011, 07:41:25 pm »
But the stone wall was already there in the original picture & if you look at the bottom end of the wall in the second picture it looks as if there is still a property there, I wonder if just the first part of the building was demolished and a slightly smaller cottage was left.
I was wondering if Rofft Bach was the whole plot of land behind the wall which has since been extensively built on creating Llwynon Road plus the terrace facing the tramway halfway up the hill and Rofft Place named such at a later date in deference to Rofft Bach?
Valar Morghulis

Offline emma p

« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »
Daves theory would make sense -
Richard and his family were living there in 1891. He died in this year. We then find Ann(his wife) living at 3 ormonde terrace in 1901.
Remember the lady at the archives rang to tell me Rofft Bach was in a sale catalogue by Great Orme Estates and it ceases to exist in the later censuses.
There is an earlier post relating to this.......il have a read back through.
So,does make sense and it is very close to black gate on that picture. ?????

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2011, 08:05:40 pm »
But the stone wall was already there in the original picture & if you look at the bottom end of the wall in the second picture it looks as if there is still a property there, I wonder if just the first part of the building was demolished and a slightly smaller cottage was left.
I was wondering if Rofft Bach was the whole plot of land behind the wall which has since been extensively built on creating Llwynon Road plus the terrace facing the tramway halfway up the hill and Rofft Place named such at a later date in deference to Rofft Bach?
I agree completely with your second bit. Roft Bach was probably a smallholding and the land extended to the area where Rofft Gate and Rofft Place is now.

In the original picture (enlargement attached), there is indeed a stone wall but the section of wall around the cottage looks smaller and more uneven that the one in the later photo or the bit further up the hill. What's more interesting is that immediately to the right of the Roft Bach Cottage appears to be two roads, separated by a low stone wall. Could it be that the right hand 'road' is, in fact, part of the work to build the tramtrack and this photo was maybe taken only a month or two before Roft Bach was demolished?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2011, 08:15:41 pm »
That stone wall is still there today, where it ends there is an alley/entrance then a terrace of houses followed by a certain impressive detached property on the corner at Black Gate.
Valar Morghulis

Offline dwsi

« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »
That stone wall is still there today, where it ends there is an alley/entrance then a terrace of houses followed by a certain impressive detached property on the corner at Black Gate.

http://g.co/maps/sydy

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »
I was wondering when this research might point at that property. I  wonder who lives there now! and before you ask that is not my washing  on the street view! Personally looking at the photo of the house in isolation I think the house in question looks to be possibly located slightly further up Ty Gwyn  road at the point at which the terrace of houses start but at right angles to the road. However if you consider the road/track running in front of the house in the photo from Nemesis as Llwynon Road then that can't be the case.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:43 pm »
I was wondering if the cottage was built in what is now your back yard to be honest, it seems about the right area judging by the photos.
Valar Morghulis

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2011, 09:57:58 pm »
The large stone/rock in the front garden may well be a relic from Rofft Bach.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:16 pm »
I was told by one of the locals that the house in question had been empty for some time as it was haunted ! Mind you she inferred that half the dwellings on the Orme were. Perhaps it is a legacy from Roft Bach and Emmas relatives ! ;)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »
The large stone/rock in the front garden may well be a relic from Rofft Bach.

this one? http://g.co/maps/yc9r

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:47 pm »
It was originally an overgrown plot of land that everyone complained about. Then someone bought the land and built the house on it but never fully finished the job so it remained empty for many years and started looking a bit tired and a couple of windows were put in. Eventually it must have changed hands and the house was finally finished and became the impressive property it is today.
Valar Morghulis

Offline dwsi

« Reply #284 on: September 05, 2011, 10:17:14 pm »
Spot the difference

[smg id=2551]

http://g.co/maps/qgjd