Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203782 times)

Offline emma p

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
Well bless that Brummie !!!
I have seen a picture of plas tudno in the advertisement section of the gallery. Sure it was 1941 - it was a hotel. It sure has a colourful history anyway. (still havent learnt how to upload onto here, durr !)
When i got home this afternoon the lady from the archives had left me a message.
She confirmed what has already been said and Richard, his wife, daughter  and grandaughter were living there in 1891 (the year Richard died aged 75).
Rofft Bach was next to Wyddfyd Farm ? Are we in the right area ? Where is Wyddfyd Farm ?
She went on to say that in a 'sale catalogue' by the Great Orme Estate Rofft Bach is mentioned and Richard is a fortnightly tennant ?
In a later cencus Rofft Bach sadly ceases to exist.
 :)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »
there was a thread on the old forum about Plas Tudno, I seem to remember that at the time of the 1901 census it was a school, I'm also pretty sure I've seen in the census, a group of houses on Ty Gwyn Road called Gay Terrace, will have a look

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2011, 08:29:29 pm »
I'm also pretty sure I've seen in the census, a group of houses on Ty Gwyn Road called Gay Terrace

In Trojan's picture Rofft Bach looks like it's at the area where the trams cross which is opposite a terrace of houses
Valar Morghulis

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2011, 09:20:34 pm »
I'm also pretty sure I've seen in the census, a group of houses on Ty Gwyn Road called Gay Terrace

In Trojan's picture Rofft Bach looks like it's at the area where the trams cross which is opposite a terrace of houses

In 1891 Gay Terrace numbered 1-4 is part of Ty Gwyn Road, in between Bay View Cottage and  Prospect Terrace

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:05 pm »
Not sure about Bay View Cottage but Bay View Terrace is above that area and Prospect Terrace below at Black Gate so it's still a possible location for Rofft Bach
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2011, 10:27:08 pm »
Well bless that Brummie !!!
I have seen a picture of plas tudno in the advertisement section of the gallery. Sure it was 1941 - it was a hotel. It sure has a colourful history anyway. (still havent learnt how to upload onto here, durr !)
When i got home this afternoon the lady from the archives had left me a message.
She confirmed what has already been said and Richard, his wife, daughter  and grandaughter were living there in 1891 (the year Richard died aged 75).
Rofft Bach was next to Wyddfyd Farm ? Are we in the right area ? Where is Wyddfyd Farm ?
She went on to say that in a 'sale catalogue' by the Great Orme Estate Rofft Bach is mentioned and Richard is a fortnightly tennant ?
In a later cencus Rofft Bach sadly ceases to exist.
 :)
That's 'next to' as in 'the nearest house to'. Wydfydd Farm was where the Ski Slope buildings are now. It looks as though Roft Bach was demolished in order to build the terraced houses on both Llwynon Road and Ty Gwyn Road.

Here's the advert for Plas Tudno you were thinking of:
[smg id=1903]

Offline dwsi

« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »
National Archives http://bit.ly/pz91O5 near the bottom

Conveyance of freehold land and herditaments situate at Llandudno in the county of Carnarvon  EV/92/11  6th February 1890

Contents:
Known as Rofft Bach and part of Tyn y coed. The Trustee of the late Joseph Evans to Thomas Barker esquire. Lots 13,19,20 and 21 of the 1889 Llandudno Sale

Offline Trojan

« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:55 am »

In 1891 Gay Terrace numbered 1-4 is part of Ty Gwyn Road, in between Bay View Cottage and  Prospect Terrace

So there was a Gay Terrace! Of course, it had a different meaning back then.

Offline emma p

« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2011, 08:02:33 pm »
Thanks guys...... $good$
I really find this whole search truly fascinating.........and your local knowledge is amazing.
Booked next summers trip to Llandudno today. Two weeks this time....bliss ! But will most certainly be there way before then.
Ive been 'streetviewing' so have a much better idea of the location of Rofft Bach. Such a shame its gone, along with 26, Kings Road.
Maybe ill have better luck when i hunt for Enoch living in Tyn-y-coed in 1876 and find its still standing !!!
No joy from Mostyn Estates as yet.

$walesflag$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2011, 01:20:45 pm »
That's a great find Trojan and Dave and it fits in with Suepp's info on the 1881 Census.  Wyddfyd then the gate house ( which must be where the black gate was before Lord Mostyn's land grab of 1843) then Rofft Bach which puts it in the area I thought it was in.
The only thing that puzzles me is that the first time I ever saw the name Rofft Bach (small Rofft ) was on the headstone of Richard Roberts in Glanwydden. Prior to that I have only heard the name Rofft and usually when a property has a name like Rofft Bach it is because there is another larger place of a similar name nearby.
Does anyone know if there is a place called just Rofft or are they just the same building?    Rofft in Chris Draper's book pg 180 has an entry for "Rofft"  and it shows that Rofft is one of Lord Mostyn's tenements with a yearly rental in the early 1800's of £2.2s. 0d   (£2.10 IN IN MODERN MONEY)

Offline emma p

« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
Hi all,
found a crackin webpage called 'old llandudno'. Youve probably all seen it but there are the most brilliant pictures on there that i have never seen before.
The Orme section is particularly interesting.....lots of pictures of 'old llandudno' where weve been looking for rofft bach.
The only annoying thing is that not all pictures are titled but still great to see.
 ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2011, 08:26:48 pm »
I've certainly already seen a lot of the photos on there.....  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline emma p

« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:25 pm »
Ok, go on then......tell me. Is it one of yours ?   :roll:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »
Ok, go on then......tell me. Is it one of yours ?   :roll:
No, it's nothing to do with the Forum. The tactful way to put it is that a significant number of the photos on there have been 'borrowed' from the Forum Gallery.

Offline emma p

« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2011, 08:44:30 pm »
OK.....i see. Bit cheeky that eh !!  :)