Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254635 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #330 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:25 pm »
We called into the Brasserie at the Chester Grosvenor on Saturday afternoon, just for a coffee and bite to eat. What a pleasure to have first class service in such opulent surroundings, many hotels could learn a lot from them.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #331 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »
Totally agree, love it in there.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #332 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:43 pm »
Totally agree, love it in there.

Quite frankly the best service in the Country must be as given at Claridges.  It is impeccable but one pays for it.  The Savoy, Quaglinos, Veraswamy's, Grosvenor House and many other hotels and restaurants in the Capital give fantastic service which complements their excellent cuisine.  The Grosvenor in Chester, in my experience, is nothing out of the ordinary.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2013, 07:20:51 am »
Quite frankly the best service in the Country must be as given at Claridge

It's good, but we were extremely impressed by the Marriott Renaissance St Pancras hotel. Especially the building;  that restoration was remarkable.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2013, 08:40:24 am »
Certainly an iconic building that was constructed in 1866.  It survived two World Wars and the architecture and internal design and finishings are fantastic.  Have a Google if you can't get down to the smoke to see it!
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: November 05, 2013, 09:41:01 am »
The Grosvenor in Chester, in my experience, is nothing out of the ordinary.    ZXZ
When did you last visit?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #336 on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:50 am »
The Grosvenor in Chester, in my experience, is nothing out of the ordinary.    ZXZ
When did you last visit?

That question is irrelevant really, but it was to arrange a Formal dinner with entertainment for 120 people and included a two night stay.  With the service I got at a trial evening meal, I took the booking to The Queens instead.  It is what one finds on the day, sometimes good, sometimes bad.  Much also depends on the Staff, who can make or break a places reputation.  I take it you've been to Claridges then?  They have some nice suites at £8,000 a night! :D  Not that i've ever used one.   ;)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: November 05, 2013, 10:30:50 am »
Standards in Hotels can change dramatically over time, so the question is perfectly relevant. If you haven't visited the Grosvenor in, say, a few years, then your opinion/experience might well not reflect the current standards at the Hotel, hence the question.

I've not stayed at Claridges yet, but am looking forward to doing so at some point. Have you been there recently?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:39 am »
Not been to Claridges recently, as nowadays I am quite happy with Premier Inns.  Previous visits to these remarkable London establishments have generally been at the expense of my employer or my own company.

I will make a point of visiting The Grosvenor the next time I go to Chester, and will report my findings, although my Wife was there a month or so ago and says it hasn't changed! 
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: November 05, 2013, 10:39:49 am »
I shall look forward to your Report.  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #340 on: November 06, 2013, 06:50:49 pm »
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: November 11, 2013, 09:18:17 am »
Back from a weekend on Anglesey. Stayed at the Bulkeley Hotel in Beaumaris, one of my favourite places to stay. Went over to Rhosneigr on Sun for a long walk on the beach, was glorious sunshine and not too chilly. There's a great coffee shop in the Surf Shop on Beach Road, up on the First Floor with views down to the Beach.

This is an iPhone shot of Broad Beach at Rhosneigr:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #342 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:29 pm »
An iphone picture, of my ludicrously large bathroom in Llangollen.

For some unknown reason, the suite of rooms were were given are called 'The Big Bathroom'  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:16 am »
Great, now that's what I call a bathroom!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:50 am »