Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254544 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #315 on: October 31, 2013, 10:46:11 am »
I can date the visit to Blackpool by the fact that I have a photo of myself taken in one of the first automatic photo booths.--- 1953. --I look like a parcel, all wrapped up in my gabardine ! :o OMG. I think we stayed at a place called 'Nelly's'. It was on the front and it was so windy that the carpets were billowing up and down in the bedroom.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #316 on: October 31, 2013, 11:42:06 am »
I can date my being there as it was the year I joined up and was doing almost a year Trade Training as an Armourer. 1955, seems all so long ago now.  Have we got a thread called Nostalgia?    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #317 on: October 31, 2013, 11:52:40 am »
Nemesis, Are we not going to see that lovely photo of you in your gabardine? I remember them well.
DaveR, you have stirred up some good memories for people about Blackpool. I have some lovely ones too. My mum's aunt and uncle used to take us for a week to a boarding house every year. My mum's memories are not quite so rosy as mine as one year my brother and I got chicken pox when we were there and she had to stay in the room all the time with us.
First photo is me not sitting very delicately on the beach. While I was looking for this photo I found the second one of me with my Welsh doll. Now I know why I ended up living in Wales!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #318 on: October 31, 2013, 01:41:58 pm »
Here we go Hollins--- it took a bit of finding, but it has prompted me to have a clear out of lots of old views etc !
Sorry it isn't very clear. It's an age thing !

Offline hollins

« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »
A really great souvenir, so cute. Isn't it funny how you can remember certain clothing items. I can remember clearly having to try and get the thick belt through the buckle of my gabardine!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2013, 02:17:15 pm »
Nowadays people would cringe, but when I started High School I was bought a Robert Hirst gabardine which had to 'do' till I left after the 5th form. It had a purse, fastened in the pocket and was worn throughout the winter. We had striped blazers in summer.I must have been buried in it to begin with and it must have been hellish short at the end. Everyone was the same though, it all had to last and uniform had to be worn and it had to be exactly the correct type and make. The shapes we contorted our berets into were unbelievable!

Offline hollins

« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2013, 02:53:28 pm »
Oh yes, berets! I can remember getting into trouble more than once for not wearing it. Ours were red!

Offline hollins

« Reply #322 on: October 31, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »
Ha! Found one of my gabardine. I knew I had one somewhere.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2013, 04:06:54 pm »
Golly--- you haven't changed alot !! Lovely pic.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2013, 07:50:23 pm »
I don't think either of you have changed a lot, maybe a bit taller.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2013, 11:16:14 pm »
   Oh so Yorkie was doing 12 months trade training at RAF Kirkham.  He was following me around. I did nine months trade training (Driver/Mechanic) at Weeton, around five or six miles away.
  Only thing was ---- I was there around five years earlier.     Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #326 on: November 01, 2013, 08:19:40 am »
I don't think either of you have changed a lot, maybe a bit taller.

and in my case wider :o ;D

Offline hollins

« Reply #327 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:21 am »
Thanks snowcap. It was a nice gentlemanly thing to say to ladies of a certain age.
However I do not think I need to worry about being recognised in Llandudno from the photos!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #328 on: November 01, 2013, 09:56:01 am »
No-- me neither-- I don't have a bow on top of my head now ! ;D ;D _))* _))*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2013, 10:31:09 am »
   Oh so Yorkie was doing 12 months trade training at RAF Kirkham.  He was following me around. I did nine months trade training (Driver/Mechanic) at Weeton, around five or six miles away.
  Only thing was ---- I was there around five years earlier.     Mike

I bet we both frequented the same places, especially at week-ends.   Under B'pool pier was certainly more entertaining than under Sahfend Pier!!   Yates's Wine Lodge was also another favourite when we took a trip into Preston.   No car then so it was thumbing, or the bus.  And what better than to be stationed close to such a resort!   My posting after that was North Devon at RAF Chivenor where I served the balance of the 3 years, and another resort of Ilfracombe and the market town of Barnstable.    Barnstable had 52 pubs, one for every week of the year!  Memories, Ah!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero