Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254626 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »
Were you able to take any photos in Manchester DaveR? Would love to see them if you did.
Yes, coming shortly. Really enjoyed my visit.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2013, 11:56:28 am »
We were in Manchester yesterday, so stopped off to have a nose around the Radisson - looks great! Also liked the look of the Midland Hotel just up the road.

I haven't stayed at the Midland since my work days. I think they have upped their game in recent years because of the increased competition in the city. The rooms we used to have were a bit pokey. Best not to go when there is an exhibition on at Manchester Central (GMEX).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:31:58 pm by DaveR »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »
Nothing posh-- but this was my view for the last three nights.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »
Looks lovely and peaceful. Where did you go?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »
Nothing posh-- but this was my view for the last three nights.

I see you managed to keep the cows and the tent out of shot!  Looks great!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2013, 12:48:26 am »
Is it the Vale of Clwyd, Nem?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
No, it is the view towards the sea from a Farmhouse B&B which we have visited a few times at Dyffryn Ardudwy. Not far-- but far enough to enjoy a short break.
Yes Yorkie there were cows in that field-- and calves-- no tents though. :twoface:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2013, 02:02:01 pm »
You disappoint me Nem, I thought you would be under canvas!  Carry on Camping and all that Jazz!
 _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »
Not on your life Yorkie, I have never been a camper or for that matter a caravanner. The very idea fills me with horror. Communal living aint for me ! The one time we hired a camper van was enough.
Had enough trouble the other night with an invasion of Daddy Long Legs which came through the open bedroom window despite the curtains being closed.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2013, 08:27:45 pm »
A return visit to Chateau Rhianfa (formerly Plas Rhianfa) on Anglesey this weekend. It's as fabulous as ever, a real retreat from the world at large. Having an early morning walk through the gardens to see the sun slowly coming up over the Menai Straits was magical.

Offline hollins

« Reply #280 on: September 29, 2013, 10:24:10 pm »
Lucky you!
Have they really changed the name to Chateau?
Are they still persisting with the communal dinner? I think I read that they were going to have a rethink on that one.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: September 30, 2013, 07:00:19 am »
Yes, it's been renamed Chateau Rhianfa for marketing purposes at least, although all the signage still says Plas Rhianfa for now.

I did see on Trip Advisor that an alternative to the chateau dining experience is to be offered shortly, and this is very welcome, I think.

I was thinking about a stay at Peckforton Castle in Cheshire, don't suppose you've been there and can offer any thoughts, H?
http://www.peckfortoncastle.co.uk/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:12:30 am by DaveR »

Offline hollins

« Reply #282 on: September 30, 2013, 02:46:25 pm »
Hi DaveR,
Yes, I have been but only once and for lunch only.
It was a friends' birthday treat, a falconry day and we turned up as invited surprise guests. The falconry was very professional and enjoyed by our friends. We only had a light lunch which was fine. The surrounding countryside is very pleasant, quiet and rural.
It is the place that was badly damaged in a fire by an angry drunken bridegroom a few years ago. They got it open for business amazingly quickly afterwards so they must have had good insurers. The bridegroom was jailed.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: September 30, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
Hi DaveR,
Yes, I have been but only once and for lunch only.
It was a friends' birthday treat, a falconry day and we turned up as invited surprise guests. The falconry was very professional and enjoyed by our friends. We only had a light lunch which was fine. The surrounding countryside is very pleasant, quiet and rural.
It is the place that was badly damaged in a fire by an angry drunken bridegroom a few years ago. They got it open for business amazingly quickly afterwards so they must have had good insurers. The bridegroom was jailed.
Thank you, I remember that fire now you mention it. Looks worth a try. If you have any other recommendations for places to stay in Cheshire, please do share.  :)

Offline hollins

« Reply #284 on: September 30, 2013, 06:42:31 pm »
Sorry DaveR, I haven't stayed in many Cheshire hotels. That's where I come from originally and my family still live there so don't often stay the night.
Having said that I do love a treat in the Chester Grosvenor, super service and food.
Nunsmere Hall is in a lovely setting. We have been there often for lunch but never stayed the night.