Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254507 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2012, 03:08:23 pm »
I should have said to make it a bit more interesting that today is the UAE National Day.
41 years since the birth of their nation.
Incredible really, when you think how things have changed in such a short space of time.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »
This is my room with a view in Dubai at the moment. I am told that this boat is owned by Sheikh Mohammed's son the Crown Prince of Dubai.

And if you look very closely you can see me waving from the stern deck!   $lol$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:05 pm »
The Sheik obviously doesn't use it much......... its gone very rusty!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »
Certainly not as sumptuous inside (or outside) as the Abramovich seagoing runabout!     ZXZ

Couldn't even find a bottle of booze on board - not that I would be interested, but I have to think of the Mrs especially since it is her umpteenth birthday on the 12th.!    +}}{-- :__)+ _))++ $drink$
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »
c'mon Yorkie thought your fair lady had her umpteenth last year

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

My Mrs has an umpteenth EVERY year, but this one is a bit more special than the "significant" number last year.   And if that is not enough it is another significant one for myself on the 23rd!    ZXZ
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »

My Mrs has an umpteenth EVERY year, but this one is a bit more special than the "significant" number last year.   And if that is not enough it is another significant one for myself on the 23rd!    ZXZ

You're not due your telegram from the queen already are you?  L0L
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:47 am »
I had the pleasure of a brief stay in the Empire Hotel here in Llandudno the other week. Apart from a very odd layout (lots of odd corridors and staircases) I have to say that it was very good, although why do they insist on using cheap Nescafe coffee sachets in the rooms instead of something a little better?

Of particular note was the cooked breakfast...really superb!  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2013, 10:01:22 am »
Nothing wrong with NescafĂ©, that's what I usually drink at home in the mornings, then I switch to PG Tips tea in the afternoon!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:26 am »
I can;t drink it, far too bitter, and certainly too cheap to be in a Four Star hotel. Go for quality, mate, Kenny says it's fine...  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:56 am »
I can;t drink it, far too bitter, and certainly too cheap to be in a Four Star hotel. Go for quality, mate, Kenny says it's fine...  ;)

:laugh:  I have two sugars in tea or coffee so I don't notice any bitterness, hotels, guest houses have to watch what they put in the rooms as all the costs mount up! I've never stayed in a 4 star hotel though, so not sure what would be usual in there! As for quality, I have the Jag, doesn't get much better than that!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:37 am »
I'm with DaveR on the instant coffee. I can't even bear the smell of it but worst is the taste in your mouth after you have drunk it. I have stayed in a few hotels recently that had a Nespresso machine in the room which I thought was a great idea. At the Palace Downtown in Dubai they even supplied takeaway cups and lids!
You'd have liked that idea, I think, Dave. $cofffee$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:51 am »
Indeed, H!  $good$ It just seemed a little incongruous in the Empire to have cheap coffee in such a nice room.

A good Hotelier knows that it's the attention to detail that makes the difference, and the Empire is excellent in every other respect.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2013, 11:17:09 am »
Nothing wrong with NescafĂ©, that's what I usually drink at home in the mornings, then I switch to PG Tips tea in the afternoon!  D)

I shall refrain from commenting about 'cheap coffee'.
 Personally I am like ME and drink Gold Blend by the gallon, very, very strong and black.
Some of the stuff cafes in town offer tastes like dishwater to me--it is never strong enough !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:33 am »
I used to drink Nescafe all the time, but once you've tried decent coffee, you never want to go back - there's a massive difference.  :)