Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 412893 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #645 on: December 11, 2014, 07:07:38 am »
The Waverley was fully rebuilt only a decade ago and has to pass stringent annual MCA tests to allow her to sail. The landing stage at Llandudno is fresh out of a refurb - so what's the problem?

Mooring any boat is a tricky operation and a pronounced swell can aggravate an already difficult situation, leaving the Captain open to legal action if anything were to happen during the boarding / disembarkation process. It's always the Captain's call to moor, and presumably he felt the risk was simply too great.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #646 on: December 12, 2014, 09:10:23 pm »
He did Ian, and was right to do so, (in my opinion)

Mrs Fester was at the top of the gangplank, and was there to help less able people to cross it.... but she says it would would have been very dangerous for anyone to attempt it.

The ship's Master attempted to phone the Pier Manager to inform him that he could not dock.... but Mr Mason's phone had no signal, so far out to sea.
That just led to the confusion, as to whether it was going to dock or not, and was only known an hour or so later.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:46 pm »
One of the most common complaints about Llandudno Pier (on Trip Advisor) is about it being closed when people visit.

On almost every occasion, that is due to high winds, or slippery conditions...(i.e. Health and Safety)

Sometimes in the winter, it might not appear dangerous from the Prom end, but further up the Pier it would become very apparent that is is.

This week though, there is a more serious problem to contend with.  That being, the physical state of The Grand Hotel.
Shards of sharp, rusty iron... plasterwork and broken slates have been tumbling from The Grand, onto the Pier in recent times, made worse by the recent Northerly winds.
I myself narrowly avoided being hit by a piece of slate on Saturday.  (on the pier at my own risk)
On Sunday, the weather was improved, but the Pier could not open, due to the safety risk to the public.

The same is true today, and only the far end of the pier is open.... but hardy visitors must walk all the way round to the Happy Valley gates if they really want to access the pier. How many are really prepared to do that?
This situation is set to continue, possibly indefinitely, unless the management of The Grand take very action to ensure the structural integrity of their building.

Lost revenue (for me and the Pier company) is one thing, but lost lives is what we potentially could be risking if this situation is not addressed.

Fester...

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2015, 05:55:30 pm »
If the wind goes East will it still be safe to use the road outside the Grand Hotel ?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #649 on: February 02, 2015, 06:14:31 pm »
Fester, the pier was open yesterday afternoon (Sunday)

Access was through the second entrance.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2015, 08:43:42 pm »
Fester, the pier was open yesterday afternoon (Sunday)

Access was through the second entrance.

It was Bri, after several fishing club members complained.... and the General Manager was determined to open it in some form.

However, that is not the point...  I am highlighting a serious health and safety issue, borne out of that eyesore, The Grand Hotel.

Out of every 100 people who want to go on to the pier,  what percentage will see the Promenade gates closed from a distance and turn away?   What percentage will decide not to make the journey all the way around to Happy Valley Road to access it?   (having to endure the dog poo and the pier pavilion eyesore on their way?)

Mull.... the answer is no, because last year, an entire window pane fell out of The Grand, and onto the pier, and that was a day with no wind.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #651 on: February 03, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
Glorious sunny day, if a little chilly out of the sun.

But.... Pier fully CLOSED.   
This situation will potentially go on indefinitely,  The Grand Hotel have yet to respond to any approach about the hazard it poses to the passing public.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: February 05, 2015, 11:39:49 am »
Glorious sunny day, if a little chilly out of the sun.

But.... Pier fully CLOSED.   
This situation will potentially go on indefinitely,  The Grand Hotel have yet to respond to any approach about the hazard it poses to the passing public.
An outrageous situation, and one that could cause major problems for Six Piers Ltd if not resolved before Easter.  &shake&

Offline Jack

« Reply #653 on: March 12, 2015, 10:42:02 am »
Llandudno Pier is up for sale at £4.5 million  $walesflag$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #654 on: March 12, 2015, 12:43:24 pm »
Wow! I wonder how much it needs spending on it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #655 on: March 12, 2015, 12:44:19 pm »

And Broadway Boulevard for a pound

The boulevard is more in my price range  L0L

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #656 on: March 12, 2015, 12:46:28 pm »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #657 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:01 pm »

And Broadway Boulevard for a pound

The boulevard is more in my price range  L0L

And mine !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jenny Jacks

« Reply #658 on: March 12, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »
I have today read an article from an organisation called. "insidermedia".  They have announced that, Cuerden Leisure - presumably the current pier owners - are putting Llandudno Pier, and also the Central and South piers in Blackpool, up for sale.

Offline pebbles

« Reply #659 on: March 13, 2015, 12:53:12 am »

Now i know what to ask my bf to get me as an early bday presie  ;)