Author Topic: Cymraeg - Welsh language issues  (Read 28207 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: Cymraeg - Welsh language issues
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 08:10:06 pm »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »

Actually, Wrex, I am half Dutch and half Yorkshire.  I don't see any literature from Government available in either Dutch or Yorkshire. 

I'd love to see the 'Yorkshire' literature from the government! Although I've seen double Dutch many times!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »
CYMRAEG : OES DYFODOL?/ ANY FUTURE FOR WELSH?

http://www.mikejenkins.net/1/post/2012/12/cymraeg-oes-dyfodol-any-future-for-welsh.html
 $walesflag$

I see that this author advocates the wearing of a letter C to indicate ones affinity with the Welsh language.   

I seem to remember a certain person named Hitler who wanted people to wear signs to indicate nationality or religion.

Barking up the wrong tree in my opinion. >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »

Actually, Wrex, I am half Dutch and half Yorkshire.  I don't see any literature from Government available in either Dutch or Yorkshire. 

I'd love to see the 'Yorkshire' literature from the government! Although I've seen double Dutch many times!  :laugh:

If you take a trip to Cwm Penmachno and the birthplace of William Morgan who translated the Bible into Welsh there is a collection of Bibles in a number of dialect languages including Scouse, Pidgin, Cockney and many others.  There may even be a Yorkshire one!
 :D
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »
   I know I'm nit picking here but William Morgans birthplace is close to Penmachno.  Cwm Penmachno is anything up to 5 miles from the house.   Mike

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »
Sorry Yorkie i was talking about the British press,they don;t cover all of Britain fairly,if wales are playing football i don;t expect to see them on the back page but it would be nice to see more than one little column stuck three pages in when when all the other pages have been about England,but i dont expect you or Tosh to understand as it don;t effect you.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 12:14:59 am »
Sorry Yorkie i was talking about the British press,they don;t cover all of Britain fairly,if wales are playing football i don;t expect to see them on the back page but it would be nice to see more than one little column stuck three pages in when when all the other pages have been about England,but i dont expect you or Tosh to understand as it don;t effect you.

I have just returned from a very pleasant few days in Edinburgh, (a fantastic city, Wrex you would have LOVED the Xmas markets, yes there were TWO of them!)
But I was in the company of many North Walian people, about a third of which had Cymraeg as their primary language.
We all got on really well, and we talked about the Welsh language issue at length.
Well, we had plenty of time to kill on a 9 hour coach trip!
The most incredibly interesting point was when they all confessed to a deep-seated dislike of people from South Wales as they could not understand a word they say, (when speaking Cymraeg)
It was pretty strong stuff I can tell you.

They also felt very embittered about the lack of public resources spent in the North compared to the South.

I wished them 'Nadolig Llwalen' as I got off the coach and they continued on their way to Llanberis, Caernarfon and Bethesda.

I wished them
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 07:07:39 am »
Sorry Yorkie i was talking about the British press,they don;t cover all of Britain fairly

True;  but the press seem to think the civilised world ends slightly North of Barnet...

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:34 am »
Hate is the word here,its not hate its rivalry this is the real word,Llandudno hate Colwyn Bay,Bradford hate Leeds when really they don;t hate each other its just rivalry,we are all mixed,Scots marry English,Irish marry Welsh even Men marry Men so lets not say HATE lets just settle for we are rivals,we could;nt coup without visits to Chester,Liverpool or Manchester and the English couldnt coup without Snowdon and their daytrips to Llandudno,LOVE this is the new hate.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 10:05:20 am »
Sorry Yorkie i was talking about the British press,they don;t cover all of Britain fairly

True;  but the press seem to think the civilised world ends slightly North of Barnet...

And I always thought it was Watford Gap! ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:06 am »
Hate is the word here,its not hate its rivalry this is the real word,Llandudno hate Colwyn Bay,Bradford hate Leeds when really they don;t hate each other its just rivalry,we are all mixed,Scots marry English,Irish marry Welsh even Men marry Men so lets not say HATE lets just settle for we are rivals,we could;nt coup without visits to Chester,Liverpool or Manchester and the English couldnt coup without Snowdon and their daytrips to Llandudno,LOVE this is the new hate.

I nominate WREX for the Nobel Peace Prize, and also to replace Kofi Annan as the next Sec.General of the United Nations.
Fester...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 01:31:01 pm »
Fester i will settle for the three town council,we can change Llandudno for the better.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »

I nominate WREX for the Nobel Peace Prize, and also to replace Kofi Annan as the next Sec.General of the United Nations.

Fester i will settle for the three town council,we can change Llandudno for the better.

Wrex speaks a lot of sense and I'll second that.   I'm sure that Wrex  will light up the Three Town Council better than those Christmas lights will ever do!      $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »
There is a difference between being passionate about a subject, and taking it to ridiculous extremes.

See here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-20860465
Fester...

Offline dwsi

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 11:17:22 pm »
There is a difference between being passionate about a subject, and taking it to ridiculous extremes.

See here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-20860465

He's well known in the Welsh Language community as a bit of on an eccentric.