Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 226926 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:21 am »
 In reply to Ian, a few years ago I saw a prominent photo of one of the Llandudno trams. In the write up it stated "photo of tram descending towards Llandudno." I immediately spotted this was incorrect. It was actually accending away from Llandudno. I was absolutely 100 percent sure. I knew exactly the spot the photo was taken from.
  And this was in a book about the history of the tram track. Not a very good start. But I thought, oh well, never mind it's just two words wrong.
 Later in a chance conversation with the then chairman of the Bala railway society I mentioned this, and that I had done nothing to correct it. He was horrified. He said in years to come in the future people will read this and be completely misled. You (me) must do something.
  So I wrote to either the author or the publishers, I don't remember which. I got the distinct impression that they were not overjoyed overthe news!! 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:40 pm »
Two more photos of Rhos....the first you can pick out landmarks .....no swimming pool.
The second shows both piers and the swimming pool.........
That first aerial photo is fantastic, SteveH.  $good$
$thanx$ Dave, It does "zoom" in very well, and I can pick up a lot of detail, even using an old JASC pro 7 paint shop,    but I am having a lot of trouble with print, any advice ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2015, 12:29:15 pm »
$thanx$ Dave, It does "zoom" in very well, and I can pick up a lot of detail, even using an old JASC pro 7 paint shop,    but I am having a lot of trouble with print, any advice ?
When you say print, what exactly do you want to do?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »
  So I wrote to either the author or the publishers, I don't remember which. I got the distinct impression that they were not overjoyed overthe news!! 
         A good few years ago I bought a Pathfinder Guide Edition Ordinance Survey "Snowdonia, Anglesey and the Lleyn Peninsula" walking handbook and found it very informative and helpful but on one particular walk a "take the left-hand fork" instruction should have read "take the right-hand fork". The mistake was fairly immediately obvious when you were walking the route and I mentioned it to the man in the bookshop the next time I was in there. He said "Why don't you drop them a line, I'm sure they would appreciate it, you might even get a voucher towards a new book!".
         So I did, never got a reply but I did notice in the subsequent reprinted edition that the erroneous instruction had been corrected to read "right " instead of "left" so at least I know that they received my letter.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2015, 01:12:14 pm »
Printed material, I have some old guide books, when I scan them, they are unreadable or some have to be enlarged to a ridiculous size, some of my previous postings are on the big side ! ! I have no adjustment on my scanner, and do what I can on the above mentioned JASC.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:52 am »
Printed material, I have some old guide books, when I scan them, they are unreadable or some have to be enlarged to a ridiculous size, some of my previous postings are on the big side ! ! I have no adjustment on my scanner, and do what I can on the above mentioned JASC.
Does the Scanner have any software to control it, whereby the size of the scan can perhaps be altered?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2015, 11:19:53 am »
DaveR...I will double check, thanks for that, will let you know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:42 pm »
If you let me know the make/model of the scanner, I will see if there is any better software available.  $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2015, 03:11:59 pm »
If you let me know the make/model of the scanner, I will see if there is any better software available.
Photosmart HP 5520         $thanx$    Just remembered I also have Irfanview

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2015, 09:37:26 am »
If you let me know the make/model of the scanner, I will see if there is any better software available.
Photosmart HP 5520         $thanx$    Just remembered I also have Irfanview
I know the ones, don't think they are great for scanning, very basic functionality on them.  :(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:25 am »
Thanks for that DaveR, I will be upgrading my PC in the near future, will look into a printer as well.... $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2015, 12:29:18 pm »
Two more photos of Rhos....the first you can pick out landmarks .....Rhos County Garage, the Princess etc. no swimming pool.
The second shows both piers and the swimming pool.........
That first aerial photo is fantastic, SteveH.  $good$

I have just found this site by accident, aerial photos "Britain from above"  I don't know if it is common knowledge, but link below...........

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=colwyn%20bay

Offline SteveH

« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »
An old programme from the Arcadia 1951......cinema and dance hall....

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2015, 08:58:59 pm »
saw the fight what a scrap that was.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:25 am »
saw the fight what a scrap that was.
I wonder if anyone ever went to Gwrych Castle in Abergele to see Randolph Turpin sparring there?

More about it here:
http://chrislad.worldonline.co.uk/page45.html