Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 219037 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2015, 01:33:16 pm »
Old Rhos Pic,s    I think the first one is showing the Tram on  Penrhyn Ave

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »
Good to see the Pirates posters and programme. There have been two versions of the Pirates that were superb: the Broadway version eventually on film, with Kevin Kline and Angela Lansbury and the best I've ever seen - the Australian version by Essgee Entertainment and filmed in 1994. Probably the nearest to the original spirit of the G & S work and incredibly funny to boot.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2015, 05:26:35 pm »
Good to see the Pirates posters and programme. There have been two versions of the Pirates that were superb: the Broadway version eventually on film, with Kevin Kline and Angela Lansbury and the best I've ever seen - the Australian version by Essgee Entertainment and filmed in 1994. Probably the nearest to the original spirit of the G & S work and incredibly funny to boot.
Thanks Ian, there are about a dozen other good (named) photographs I will post at a later on.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2015, 08:04:56 pm »
 Hello SteveH, Your first photo. No need to THINK its Penrhyn Avenue. Its definite. The old Rhos pier in the background pinpoints it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2015, 05:15:45 pm »
This is cropped from a cutting (Weekly News ?) 1954, it mentions Aberhod in 1847

Offline SteveH

« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2015, 06:31:57 pm »
An interesting story from family history going back to before 1900......My great Uncle David Hughes connection with T. G. Osborne and the start of Rydal Mount School

Rydal Mount was founded by T.G. Osborn on 19 September 1885. The School, which was to be a boys’ boarding school in the Methodist tradition, was named after the house (now called Old House) on Lansdowne Road which Osborn had acquired through the good offices of the Reverend F.W. Payne, a wealthy benefactor and Wesleyan minister who lived in Colwyn Bay.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #201 on: July 21, 2015, 02:11:21 pm »
1963 Photos of Rhos........Swim anybody.... ???

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »
  That was a winter and a half. I remember it very well. The river at the Foryd in Rhyl froze over, and I could write about half a dozen unbelievable occurrences  between early January and mid March when overnight, the big thaw arrived.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2015, 09:07:14 pm »
  That was a winter and a half. I remember it very well. The river at the Foryd in Rhyl froze over, and I could write about half a dozen unbelievable occurrences between early January and mid March when overnight, the big thaw arrived.
I remember 63 as well Mike, the year I started my first stint with the Cairngorm mountain rescue team, talk about going in at the deep end,  anyway what about the rest of your winter stories......

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2015, 10:13:58 pm »
  The rest of my winter stories? I'm a bit lost. I didnt know I had any, never mind the rest.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2015, 11:38:07 pm »
I got married in February that year and i still haven't thawed out. it was that cold the photographer wouldn't take photos outside the church for fear if the bridesmaids getting frostbite.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:27 am »
1963 - the River Conway (still had the "a" in it then!) at Tal-y-Cafn.  In the view from the bridge you can see Bodnant Hall in the trees in the distance.  The other view shows Conway Cottage (still has the "a" in it now!), where I lived, which is now next to the entrance to the Welsh Food Centre.

Icebergs floated down the river then when the tide came in it pushed them back to form a solid mass.  I believe someone actually walked across the river by Tal-y-Cafn Bridge although it would not have been a smooth path!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2015, 12:20:16 pm »
  The rest of my winter stories? I'm a bit lost. I didnt know I had any, never mind the rest.

Sorry Mike, when you said "I could write about half a dozen unbelievable occurrences" I was hoping for more of your past experiences ...

Great photos DVT......

Offline SteveH

Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
I have some photos that suggest there was an event in Rhos called "Queen of the Roses" with the Queen named "Alice" and possible a fun parade, the date on the photos is 1927
Has anyone any further information.

No replies to the above  ? ? ......here are the photos...........

Offline SteveH

« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2015, 07:48:07 pm »
This I think is a Colwyn Bay Football Club team photo, I am guessing 1932, the gentleman on the left is a Mr Bowers of Rhos Rd. a friend of my grandparents and possible his daughter Margaret who went to school with my father. my grandfather was involved with CBFC and was also a referee (back row 4th from right)..............any old football history fans out there