Author Topic: Pen Morfa Cottages  (Read 45041 times)

Offline rog

Re: Pen Morfa Cottages
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43:49 am »
Thanks dwsi. That is indeed from my website. Probably should have provided the link earlier. $good$

Garden Street, Bangor is now under the Menai multi-storey car park

So, no chance of a photo of the house then.  :D

At least I now have a map location.  $thanx$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 02:37:10 pm »
Thanks Dwsi, that's a great find.  I worked in a building overlooking that street but didn't know that it had once been called Garden Street as it is now known as Ashley Road.
The original houses must have been demolished as they have been replaced with more modern ones and I think that the modern ones are still there and weren't affected by the car park

Ashley Road is now roughly opposite Malt St. was, where the entrance to the Uni computer science site is now. Frondeg St still exists as an alleyway next to 30 Dean St

Offline dwsi

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »
Thanks dwsi. That is indeed from my website. Probably should have provided the link earlier. $good$

Garden Street, Bangor is now under the Menai multi-storey car park

So, no chance of a photo of the house then.  :D

At least I now have a map location.  $thanx$

Picture? ta-dah!! (well the roofs of Garden st)  D)
Building on the bottom right is the old police station which is now M&S

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 03:35:56 pm »
Brook Row was probably named after the Brook ( or more correctly River Adda ) on it's western side. The river also runs through Garden Street and is now mainly culverted and only appears above ground past the modern Tesco store.
After the Police Station was demolished, construction began on the Marks and Spencers building and I heard that when they were piledriving for the foundations of  the building, the construction firm pierced the culvert and serious flooding occurred.   Work continued because of contract penalties that had been signed but I don't know how they resolved the flooding problem.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 08:38:01 pm »
The entire culvert has recently been rebuilt through central Bangor to try and relieve the flooding problems.

Offline rog

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 07:59:14 am »
Thank you, everyone,

Great photo, dwsi!

I hope each of you had an enjoyable New Years eve.  +}}{--

Roger

Offline dwsi

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 12:54:08 pm »
A better picture of Garden St now known as Garden Sq

Offline rog

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:57 pm »
A better picture of Garden St now known as Garden Sq

Excellent picture. Never thought I would see the street.   ;D

Thank you dwsi.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »
That's a great find Dwsi and they still have some streets similar to Garden Square in that area of Bangor.

Rog, I was in the Archives again but there is no trace of Walter's grave in Llansanffraid or Llandudno and District.   Walter moved around quite often so it could be anywhere.
In the 1851 Census Walter had left home but the family were living at 32 High Street Holywell at that time and it may be that Walter is buried there with his parents  but I've no way of checking that.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:15 pm »
This is a map of the area in 1935

Offline rog

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 07:39:24 am »
Thank you Hugo and dwsi,

The maps and photos of Llandudno and Bangor have given me a pretty good idea of how the area looked some 140 years ago.

As far as Holywell PRs are concerned, Hugo - the burials end in 1841. I am a member of the Clwyd FHS and I have emailed them asking how far they have got (hoping they have transcribed 1870 onwards). I am awaiting a reply.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 06:35:43 pm »
I hope that you get a positive reply from Clwyd F H S  but I'm surprised that they are not more up to date than  that.  Would the Flintshire Archives in Hawarden have the info you are searching for?

Offline rog

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:56 pm »
I am still waiting for a reply from the CFHS Parish Register Coordinator.  :(

AFAIK the Flintshire archives have the burials microfiche, but only those transcripts that have been completed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »
I had a walk today which took us through Holywell town.    We walked through the pedestrianised High Street and I took a photo of No 32 (it's the middle of the pink building) but I'm afraid that the building has seen better days and is up for sale. A friend that I was with also had relations working in the High Street in the 1800's but they were at No 1 and were Blacksmiths.
The Church of St James is set on a hill and is only about 200 metres away so if William Walter Jones was buried in Holywell it could have been in that Church.  There is a non conformist Church near Carmel which may be a possibility but really I would have expected him to be buried at St Tudno's and near the Church there.

Offline rog

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2012, 08:26:27 am »
Thank you for the photos Hugo. If you do not mind, they will go into family photo gallery.  $thanx$

The story so far. It appears that it could be a long time before Holywell burial records are transcribed by CFHS.

Nevertheless I have since discovered that two William JONES (name of father of Walter William) of the right age were buried between 1861 and 1871 in Holywell. I ordered both death certs. Unfortunately the 1st one I received was not mine. I am awaiting the 2nd (with bated breath).

I also had confirmation that there is no record for the burial of Walter William JONES in Holywell. Not good news but if he was not buried in Llandudno or Holywell, might it have been Llandrillo? (PoB for wife , Mary nee ROBERTS)

I will keep looking.  $good$