Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 308325 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2015, 11:58:48 pm »
Britannia Hotels have 49 hotels in the UK,  but recently two of them (Blackburn and Bolton I believe) have been given over completely to housing homeless people.
The logic being, they can't fill them with guests, and they can't sell them, so why not guarantee income from the DSS!

Now, Llandudno's very own The Grand Hotel is a Britannia Hotel, and it's Trip Advisor ratings show that it is a woeful place these days. They also need to offer mega deals such as £89 for 5 nights (out of season) to desperately attract visitors and fill rooms.

You can see where I am going with this, and all I will say is, if Britannia ever did convert The Grand to DSS occupancy, then this town is FINISHED!
Let's keep our finger's crossed it NEVER happens eh?
 ££$ ££$ ££$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2015, 06:54:55 am »
Britannia Hotels have 49 hotels in the UK,  but recently two of them (Blackburn and Bolton I believe) have been given over completely to housing homeless people.
The logic being, they can't fill them with guests, and they can't sell them, so why not guarantee income from the DSS!

Now, Llandudno's very own The Grand Hotel is a Britannia Hotel, and it's Trip Advisor ratings show that it is a woeful place these days. They also need to offer mega deals such as £89 for 5 nights (out of season) to desperately attract visitors and fill rooms.

You can see where I am going with this, and all I will say is, if Britannia ever did convert The Grand to DSS occupancy, then this town is FINISHED!
 ££$ ££$ ££$

It might increase the Footfall on the pier Fes!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #377 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:37 am »

Certainly what caused a lot of damage to Colwyn Bay.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2015, 07:34:36 pm »

££$ ££$ ££$

It wouldn't be allowed here Fester. No DSS in any Promenade Hotel or in any Street leading off the Promenade.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2015, 08:01:27 pm »
Who decides that BlongB?
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2015, 08:48:11 am »

££$ ££$ ££$

It wouldn't be allowed here Fester. No DSS in any Promenade Hotel or in any Street leading off the Promenade.

Have you some proof of that?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:04 am »
I would imagine it would all depend on how the rooms were paid for.  If DSS paid directly, then wouldn't they have to be re-classified as HMOs? That would involve change of use, I'd imagine, which the council would (one fervently hopes) reject. But if claimants rolled up with cash in hand, I'm not sure what could be done. There's a lot on the Web about this, and it makes for very depressing reading.

We need some hard facts.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #382 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:17 pm »
Llandudno Hospitality has had this arrangement with CCBC for many years and I have personally used it.

When one of my previous neighbours on North Parade was going broke, he took in a 15/16 year old girl, who in less than a week had the Ambulance Service around three times and the Police twice.

On the last occasion she was in such a state that she was carried into next door by five lads with her kicking and screaming all the way in. We watched helplessly as next-doors regular guests without so much as a by your leave, packed their bags and waked out.

She was put into her room and the Ambulance Service was called out to assist her yet again. Refusing to cooperate with them, they called out the Police to give assistance. It was during their intervention that she let slip she had been put into the Hotel by Social Services.

One phone call to the Chairman of Llandudno Hospitality, who then reminded Social Services of our arrangement about accommodating such people in our Seafront Hotels was all it took for her case worker to come and remove her, all in less than an hour.

So that’s how I know Fester.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:57 am »
That's very interesting, B. So just to get this clear, what the hotels have is an 'arrangement' with the Council, with no legislative backing? The reason I ask is that - presumably - if the composition of the Council were to change, say - by merging with another,  for instance - than such an arrangement couldn't be enforced? Is that right?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2015, 10:15:52 am »
At one time S. Services used to ring round, many times late at night, to all hotels asking for beds. We put our foot down and refused, but it might still go on !
Try having a hostel opposite !!!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »
In other news,  I'm hearing that The Grand Ash Hotel has been acquired by the Charedi Jewish Sect.

Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #386 on: July 19, 2015, 09:09:21 am »
In other news,  I'm hearing that The Grand Ash Hotel has been acquired by the Charedi Jewish Sect.

True. Kids outside at 10.30 pm last night chasing baby gulls!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #387 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »

True. Kids outside at 10.30 pm last night chasing baby gulls!

So, they're not all bad then....  :laugh:
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: July 20, 2015, 07:37:35 am »
We should invite these folk to invest in the town.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #389 on: July 20, 2015, 09:51:28 am »
Perhaps not !!!