Author Topic: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News  (Read 114305 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 09:45:17 am »
There may not be that much actual news in terms of man murdered in pub or similar, but there is certainly a lot that could be covered that isn't - too often, a story consists of a rehashed press release or council report rather than any real journalism.

Let's take the Pier Pavilion site, for example. I hear people in town complaining about it constantly - yet the NWWN has never really done a proper feature on it. It was I that did the digging at the Land Registry to find out who the real owner was, something that the NWWN should have done and they could maybe even tracked him down or just phoned him to ask him what his plans are for the site etc etc and put his side of the story across?

Good point.

Reporters reading this forum take note!

The more publicity and pressure on the site's owner to do something the better.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:31 am »
Trojan
I take it the first post was for the Daily Post and the second for the NWWN?

Or am I just having a bout of deja vu?    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2011, 12:02:21 pm »
There may not be that much actual news in terms of man murdered in pub or similar, but there is certainly a lot that could be covered that isn't - too often, a story consists of a rehashed press release or council report rather than any real journalism.

Let's take the Pier Pavilion site, for example. I hear people in town complaining about it constantly - yet the NWWN has never really done a proper feature on it. It was I that did the digging at the Land Registry to find out who the real owner was, something that the NWWN should have done and they could maybe even tracked him down or just phoned him to ask him what his plans are for the site etc etc and put his side of the story across?

The Weekly News has known the name and contact details of the real owner for several years. He's a gentleman living in the Midlands, who refuses to answer enquiries about his plans for the Pavilion. He has also proved intransigent when various companies have put in offers for the site - it seems his valuation of it is well above what the current market value is considered to be.
The only solution to this problem would be for Conwy County Council to seek a compulsory purchase order, but this would involve a considerable outlay of council taxpayers money. The Weekly News has pointed this out in the past, and does keep up to date with the situation - see today's issue!!
Unlike some other local newspapers the Weekly News doesn't rely on press releases for stories it relies heavily on ciontacts who inform reporters of stories they feel should be covered. Often these are positive good news stories, and thankfully we don't live in an area where there is too much bad news, however the paper never shirks from covering controversial stories provided they can be presented in a fair and balanced way and don't have adverse legal implications.
Good point.

I re-jigged your post so it displays properly - DaveR
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:22:50 pm by DaveR »

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »
 ??? Craigydonian we know a Mr Taylor from Worcester owns the site what we want to know is why CCBC don;t act on the mess he owns, have a campaign to force CCBC into acting,now that would be a use for the NWWN.

Offline Parry

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:39 pm »
I think that over all the NWWN is abysmal.  The coverage of local events is mainly by pictures.   The coverage over more serious news is pathetic.  Overall the Advertising to Editorial ratio is unfair to both the Advertiser and the Reader.  So much advertising that they don't get read because the readers are searching for the news and just page skip.   And with so much advertising there is Little room for local news.  If I were in business, unless I could have the front "ears" I would never advertise in it!   >>>

The best section is definitely the Obits and the sooner we see the Obit for the NWWN the better!   WWW

I respect your comments Yorkie. But surely they should also be based on fact. If you are stating that there is so much advertising that stories don't get read or if Wrex states that there have been no Llandudno news for weeks, then it isn't true.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2011, 06:40:46 pm »
Hello again Parry-

My views are my views, Wrex's views are Wrex's views.  Your views are your views.  I quite frankly, don't give a toss for what you think of my comments and do not have to prove anything.   

I may be right and I may be wrong, so may Wrex, but shortly to justify matters I will be starting an analysis of today's issue of the NWWN, column inch by column inch.  And if you want it in metric measure, I will gladly carry out a conversion for you.

A quick look shows about 27 pages of mixed editorial and advertising and 53 of advertising.  I think my comments will be substantiated.  Now why don't you do the same and see if we agree?   
££$
Cicero

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:21 pm »
Of course there are more pages of advertising to editorial if there weren't no newspaper could survive - certainly not a weekly.
I think the crux of this debate is that the some people would like the Weekly News to be the Llandudno Weekly News and ignore the rest of the large geographic area it covers, and I'm afraid that just isn't going to happen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »
But isn't that the idea of having several different editions?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »
The ABC figures on the latest Certificate is a total circulation of 14,127 copies spread amongst the various areas.  Not very impressive. 
 >>>
Cicero

Offline outlawowl

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:14 pm »
A bit surprised with all the negative comments about our local newspapers.
Times are tough for most businesses . . . including newspapers . . . and we are fortunate in media terms to live in a region like the Colwyn Bay/Llandudno/Conwy area where we are served by a regional daily (The Post), a paid-for weekly (The Weekly News) and a free newspaper (The Pioneer).
In many parts of the country, newspapers have closed and people are left to find out information from blogs (some like this are great but are in the minority), from community mags or local radio...none of which give the breadth the coverage available in local newspapers.
We should read them, contribute to them and not moan about the few pence they cost to buy........and they also give added flavour to your fish and chips ..

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »

Living in Penrhyn Bay I never know which edition to buy, so I just look at the website, mind you now we have the amazing Nigel the news bot, I can see it all here!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2011, 07:06:56 am »
A bit surprised with all the negative comments about our local newspapers.
Times are tough for most businesses . . . including newspapers . . . and we are fortunate in media terms to live in a region like the Colwyn Bay/Llandudno/Conwy area where we are served by a regional daily (The Post), a paid-for weekly (The Weekly News) and a free newspaper (The Pioneer).

What is at they say, "Three's a crowd." ?   There is probably the crux of the matter, we have three rather poor quality rags all putting out the same information and the advertisers having to pay through the nose to be included in each of them.   Reduce it to one good weekly newspaper and the problem could be solved.  Please discuss!     >>>
Cicero

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:02 am »

Living in Penrhyn Bay I never know which edition to buy, so I just look at the website, mind you now we have the amazing Nigel the news bot, I can see it all here!  D)

There are three editions of the Weekly News.
The General edition covers Llandudno, Deganwy, Llandudno Junction, Conwy, Penmaenmawr and Llandudno Junction.
The Colwyn edition covers Colwyn Bay, Mochdre, Old Colwyn, Rhos-on-Sea, Llanddulas and Abergele.
The Conwy Valley edition covers the area from Glan Conwy to Cerrigydruidion including Betws-y-Coed and Capel Curig.
Some stories run in all three editions, but the front page and page three always carry stories directly related to the area covered by that particular edition.
Hope this helps.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »
 :) Hello again Craigydonian,i have a test for the NWWN  find out why the Venue Arena is underused , your paper in the past has reported how much the complex loses in a year , so send a journalist to meet the management and ask why there are no concerts on a weekly basics [ or one every 6 months ] this will not be a made up storey it will be real and you can then tell all Llandudno readers why this Arena is so empty nite after nite after nite. Z**

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2011, 03:11:04 pm »
Wrex, every theatre in the UK almost without exception operates at a loss and rely on sponsorship and subsidies to sustain them, but it's generally felt that this is worthwhile to sustain live theatre.
The arena was not intended to cater solely for concerts, it also house conferences and exhibitions as well as theatrical performances which won't fill the 1,200 seat theatre.
Llandudno Youth Music Theatre recently presented the musical The Wiz there, and it was a fantastic production put on by local youngsters aged from 11 to 18. There are also theatre and ballet workshops there on a regular basis.
In November it will host a major national conference, as well as Wales Rally GB, which between them will bring thousands of high spending visitors to the resort.
However i think it would be unrealistic to expect it to host events on a nightly or even weekly basis, even some of the country's major venues don't achieve that.
I think the truth about concerts is that it is too small to take major bands/solo artists which somewhat limits its' appeal. Perhaps you should write to the theatre management to suggest some acts/names you would like to see there?