Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 219960 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2014, 12:38:57 pm »
Scargill is an egotistical and deluted character who is nearly as much to blame as Thatcher for destroying the mining industry and mining communities of this country.
Even in those days of 1984/85 he appeared to have a lifestyle above that of a NUM President.   He let the miners down then but now they can see him for what he is.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:14 am »
If you don't know about it, the Register is probably the best source of IT and technology information on the planet. It takes a very tongue-in-cheek approach to tech news, but it's generally solid information.

In today's issue, they're taking a poke at those who have little idea about radiation and its effects. In the process, they note the BBC's journalists are also pretty clueless in their use of langiage to describe the Fukushima incident. 

From the Reg:

"The San Francisco Chronicle notes, "some Internet sites continue claiming that dangerously radioactive ocean water from Fukushima is showing up along California beaches," and that's all anyone needs to get into a flap in the Golden State. It probably doesn't help that the BBC speaks of an "incoming radioactive Fukushima plume" which is about to "hit the west coast of North America".

But the radioactivity which is to "hit" California will be utterly, completely minuscule. The water in the "plume" which scientists are "tracking" is so radiologically inert that in an entire tonne of it, just one lonely atom of caesium from Fukushima is decaying each second. For context, healthy human body tissues are around 50,000 times more radioactive than that.

"I know that the people in Japan are facing the worst of the conditions but I also worry about my children here in California," California resident and member of citizen action group "Fukushima Response" Maggy Hohle tells al Jazeera. "Will there be high levels of radiation in the air and will my children be able to swim in the Pacific Ocean in the coming years?"

Provided that you consider it safe for them to hug your enormously more radioactive body, Ms Hohle, you should also consider it safe for them to swim in the Pacific, yes."

The continued misinformation generated by ignorant or clueless journos around the world about the Fukushima incidents led directly to the halting of Nuclear projects in Europe, yet Nuclear power remains the safest form of energy production on the planet.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:55 am »
None of us is reluctant when it comes to having a go at CCBC - usually with just cause, it has to be said. But things can change, and often in a surprisingly short time.

Two possibilities exist with regard to the Council situation: the first is to de-professionalise the institution.  Now, some may chuckle at the idea that they're professional at the moment, but what if councils were treated in the same way as Juries? Or the army in Switzerland?

Every year people would be 'called up' to serve as councillors. They would be chosen at random from the electoral role and they would have to serve 12 months in office. They would have advisers on the payroll, they'd be financially compensated and exceptions and exemptions would be drawn up.  Thus, one-man business owners wouldn't be expected to serve if they could show the business would suffer without their attention, those with certain types of convictions within a given time-frame wouldn't be eligible and other compelling reasons for being excused would be determined by a judge.

The advantage is that the party system - which has singularly failed in local councils, anyway - would play second fiddle to the interests of the community, while the democratic aspect is preserved, since there's no truer version of democracy than for every member of the electorate to be given the opportunity to play their part in the management of their community.

Another option is the Californian solution. In the US certain States provide legislation which allows for the dismissal and re-election of either councillors who are deemed to have made a hash of things or - more pointedly - for the community to vote on cutting taxes for areas of which they don't approve.

Any of the potential solutions would, of course, require legislation at a national level but things can change in a democracy through the will of the people.  If enough people become sufficiently dissatisfied then they form groups which can draw up ideas and submit them to the MP, WAG member or even the Minister responsible for local government.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2014, 11:59:57 am »
Do I detect the beginnings of a silent revolution?    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2014, 02:08:22 pm »
The Switzerland version wouldn't work in this country on account that most people here are numpties.

They would have brought back hanging and be hunting paedotricans within their first week of office

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:32 pm »
I'm not sure most here are that different from the Swiss. What you describe is media-inspired bigotry, and I suspect most folk on their own are usually perfectly rational.  It wou;ld take a change of culture - but I suspect it could be done.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2014, 02:22:16 pm »
I'm not sure most here are that different from the Swiss. What you describe is media-inspired bigotry, and I suspect most folk on their own are usually perfectly rational.  It wou;ld take a change of culture - but I suspect it could be done.

Just read any comments in any article of the daily mail and you'll see what I mean.
The media in this country have turned a very large proportion of the public into frightened racist lunatics

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2014, 04:14:23 pm »
Just read any comments in any article of the daily mail and you'll see what I mean. The media in this country have turned a very large proportion of the public into frightened racist lunatics

Not sure about that.  The DFM is and always will be read by those who crave such stuff and it - in its turn - serves up the trash to anyone who'll pay. But that's still only a minority of the UK population.  I have a bit more faith in the mainstream population.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:32 pm »
Just read any comments in any article of the daily mail and you'll see what I mean. The media in this country have turned a very large proportion of the public into frightened racist lunatics

Not sure about that.  The DFM is and always will be read by those who crave such stuff and it - in its turn - serves up the trash to anyone who'll pay. But that's still only a minority of the UK population.  I have a bit more faith in the mainstream population.

I don't think a large proportion of the public read Ian's favourite paper the DFM anyway, so we don't need to lose any sleep over over the matter.   

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #264 on: May 17, 2014, 12:04:05 am »

Just read any comments in any article of the daily mail and you'll see what I mean.
The media in this country have turned a very large proportion of the public into frightened racist lunatics

I am one of those frightened racist lunatics to which you refer, especially after a night out in The Carlton    Z**
......now, lets get on with locking up those pediatricians, and as for those gynaecologists, they should be burned at the stake,..... perverts the lot of them! 

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2014, 08:47:43 am »
Another option is the Californian solution. In the US certain States provide legislation which allows for the dismissal and re-election of either councillors who are deemed to have made a hash of things or - more pointedly - for the community to vote on cutting taxes for areas of which they don't approve.
I think thats a good idea. I'd also like to see the electorate have the opportunity to vote as as to how the tax revenue is spent. More money for parks and gardens, I say!

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2014, 10:51:30 am »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:52 pm »
Infuriates  me too, travelers dont seem to travel anymore, why do they get so many benefits and without the requirement to follows societies rules and restrictions.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:45 pm »
what benefits do they get? as opposed to people who live in houses

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2014, 10:19:30 am »