Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175129 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #540 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:04 am »
They have changed their format,last year you would get the full list and you could see who was fully booked and who had a spare room.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #542 on: February 01, 2014, 10:12:53 am »
At those prices, I cannot understand why every hotel and guest house in Llandudno is not sponsoring the Extravaganza.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #543 on: February 01, 2014, 11:32:37 am »
That is the question Bri,why do none of them even thank the extravaganza for helping their buisness let alone dipping into their pockets.There are a handfull who do,but the word handfull lies the problem,but i dare;nt moan.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2014, 04:52:11 pm »
That is the question Bri,why do none of them even thank the extravaganza for helping their buisness let alone dipping into their pockets.There are a handfull who do,but the word handfull lies the problem,but i dare;nt moan.

From the vast number of coaches and cars in the town during the Extravaganza week end there are many who cannot get or don't want hotels.  It is just a day out for many folk and not a four day break.
This can be seen from the number of vehicles leaving the town in the late afternoon and evening, and the total lack of parking places even on the normally banned areas.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #545 on: February 01, 2014, 06:25:49 pm »
There are no hotel beds available anyway,im not sure what your point is Yorkie.

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #546 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »
Me and my Paula are coming Wrex, arrive on Friday and come home on Tuesday. Having a 4 day break at The Lansdowne and we'll be spending a few quid in the shops, bars and restaurants to boost the local economy as tourists! Some people would rather moan about cups of coffee and boost their own ego than praise you or wish you luck with your efforts mate. We are looking forward to it and with a bit of luck we might bump into you.
Justice for the 96

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #547 on: February 01, 2014, 07:26:59 pm »

Just that many people attend the Extravaganza purely on a daily basis and that hotels should get filled up without any trouble.  It is May Holiday weekend after all, which has always been a Holiday time with or without Extravaganza.  Your efforts are to applauded, just a pity you don't get more support, then it could be all plain sailing.
 $walesflag$
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #548 on: February 01, 2014, 07:56:01 pm »
It is May Holiday weekend after all, which has always been a Holiday time with or without Extravaganza.

Not really, as it only became a bank holiday in 1978. The event was started because the new holiday wasn't established fully and the idea was to increase visitor numbers. The question is whether the Extravaganza makes a difference. I suspect it does.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #549 on: February 02, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »

I hate to disagree Wrex-- but get your facts right !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #550 on: February 02, 2014, 01:26:42 pm »

I hate to disagree Wrex-- but get your facts right !

Another point worth considering is the large number of bed spaces that have been lost over the past few years.  Star at the Bedford and work down to the other end of town.  Even our old place has closed as an Hotel.  You can only sell bed-nights if you have the capacity.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #551 on: February 02, 2014, 04:35:46 pm »
The whole of Conwy borough benefits,no beds in any surrounding towns,but im glad to help our neighbours.You know from your view that the caravan park in Dinerth is never so full,glad to help.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #552 on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:41 pm »

This one might give you a better idea Wrex.
http://www.hotelscombined.com/SearchResults.aspx?destination=place%3aLlandudno&checkin=2014-05-02&checkout=2014-05-05&Rooms=1&adults_1=2&languageCode=EN&currencyCode=GBP&sortProfile=0

At those prices, I cannot understand why every hotel and guest house in Llandudno is not sponsoring the Extravaganza.

I think this is worthy of an explanation and might just bring some enlightenment to some of our out of touch forum members.

From Hollins list (13 Hotels) I’ve removing the Imperial and St. Georges Hotels who always charge in excess of the smaller Hotels plus the Broadway who have put their rates up beyond belief, just for the Extravaganza week-end, the average cost of a double room over the May Bank Holiday is £81:66p (10 Hotels)

From that 20% is to pay the VAT (£16:32p), 15% commission to Late Rooms, Expedia, Booking.com etc. (£12:24) Staff Wage Bill, Gas Electric and Water charges, Rates Bill, Food Bill, Hotel Insurance x 2 (Mostyns for Fire Cover and Private for the rest),  Laundry costs, Commercial Rubbish collection,Employers Non Contributory National Insurance Tax on Profits at 8%, Income Tax at 20%, Mortgage repayments or Overdraft payments if you were unfortunate enough to need them plus a myriad of other overheads that crop up all the time.

Operating a Hotel in the 21st Century is not a licence to print money like it was back in the 50’s and 60’s. From a personal perspective (16 years running a promenade Hotel) we were charging £80:00p a night back in 2009 and look at how overheads have risen since then. Just as an aside I truly believe we would have been full that week-end with or without the Extravaganza.

I hope my explanation shows why the financial support from the smaller establishments can’t be there and possibly why Llandudno is now losing so many smaller operators.   ££$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: February 02, 2014, 05:00:25 pm »
Very interesting, Blongb. Here's a question for you - why is it I can obtain a hotel room more cheaply through a site like booking.com than if I contact the hotel directly? I've noticed this several times and it seems to make no sense for the hotel from a financial point of view.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2014, 05:20:45 pm »
Very interesting, Blongb. Here's a question for you - why is it I can obtain a hotel room more cheaply through a site like booking.com than if I contact the hotel directly? I've noticed this several times and it seems to make no sense for the hotel from a financial point of view.

I have no personal knowledge of how bookings.com operate as I consider all those types of sites to be Leaches and refused to allow them access to my rooms. I was very lucky, by providing a direct booking facility on my own website I had no trouble filling my rooms. There again a small 4 Star offering rooms at Llandudno knock down prices is easily filled.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)