Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175101 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #525 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:36 am »
Has anyone actually carried out a survey and asked the Townsfolk and Businesses what they ACTUALLY think of the Extravaganza?   You could be in for a surprise!   

££$

Maybe the time has come to consider whether a new format is required or even to make it a bi-annual event rather than every year.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2014, 11:57:49 am »
There are very few buisnesses besides Marks & Spensers and a few small shops,  eg hairdressers,flower shops  etc who don;t want it Yorkie,it just needs a very positive person who has TIME to visit every shop,cafe,restaurant,guest house,hotel,pub and explain where the money comes from ,what it goes on and which painter,nurse,hotelier,security guard puts all their spare time into putting the event on,i did not post this to whind you up Yorkie,i posted this to try and explain the problem we will have putting it on next year.                                     

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #527 on: January 30, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »
Just had a look at laterooms .com,it says there are 106 llandudno hotels yet for 2-5 may only 3 come up does anyone know why,they can;t all be booked up already.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #528 on: January 30, 2014, 05:20:02 pm »
Wrex, I think that you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned TIME.

These days, (generally speaking) those people who have the drive and motivation to help manage and assist at events are all working longer hours or busy trying to eke out a living.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #529 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:06 pm »
There are very few buisnesses besides Marks & Spensers and a few small shops,  eg hairdressers,flower shops  etc who don;t want it Yorkie,it just needs a very positive person who has TIME to visit every shop,cafe,restaurant,guest house,hotel,pub and explain where the money comes from ,what it goes on and which painter,nurse,hotelier,security guard puts all their spare time into putting the event on,i did not post this to whind you up Yorkie,i posted this to try and explain the problem we will have putting it on next year.                                     

I am not whinging, Wrex.  But I suppose you have the statistics to prove your rather sweeping statement as to your supporters.   I think you may find a bit of proper Market Research will show that there are probably as many for the Extravaganza as are against it.  Personally I would appreciate a rest from it, or a return to the original format where the people of the town provided the entertainment rather than outsiders.   

££$
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #530 on: January 30, 2014, 09:10:27 pm »
Yorkie. to be fair, don't you give yourself a rest from it every year?  I thought you always went on holiday (deliberately) at that time?    Happy to be corrected.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #531 on: January 30, 2014, 10:06:03 pm »
If you where given the honour of announcing the end of the Extravaganza tomorrow Yorkie i think your market research would be up in arms.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:12 am »
It's a tough one. The 'end' of the Extravaganza has been reported several times, I seem to remember, and yet each time - Phoenix-like - it's risen from its own ashes to resume, apparently uninterrupted.

Part of the reason that's happened is the very small number of utterly committed individuals (like our very own wrex:-) at the core of the organisation who believe strongly in the event and part of it is down to Len Ricketts' Transport Festival, which complements the event making it now an almost week-long attraction. Actually, for that reason alone I doubt the event is going anywhere for the near future, but it might well feature fewer Victoriana items and more fairground.

The fairground pays for most of the expenses but - and it's a big 'but' - they don't pay in advance. Expenses, however, have to be met in advance, and that's why funding is always an issue.

I suspect that most people in the town now see the event as little more than the weekend when the town becomes a fairground. But the first few events were nothing like that. They divided the weekend into clearly defined segments: street entertainment was the major aspect.  From the Wotan stilt walkers, to David Alexander's fantastic jugging and magic act, the astonishing Ladies' Barbershop choir and a lot more, the event ensured at least one act on every street corner.

The second section was parades, when all the acts plus as many Brass and Military bands as possible paraded once a day through the town.

Then there was indoor entertainment, which took place in the old market hall.  On the second year they managed to get a chap with the most staggeringly spectacular Meccano models to set up, as well as Palmists, fortune tellers and all the rest of the usual Victoriana trappings. In the evenings, concerts and shows would be held at various venues around town. The fire station and lifeboat men threw open their doors and showed people their equipment... Finally, prizes were awarded for the 'Best Victorian Outfits' worn during the event, something which brought folk in from all over the UK.

Lastly, there were Steam engines and Organs. Between those four areas, they ensured that the town was buzzing with something almost all the time.

The organisation required for that lot was incredible and - at one point - there was a paid secretary doing the work; volunteers were no longer sufficient.

There's no doubt some places do extremely well out of the event. But getting them to give money to the committee for next year's event is akin to Thaumaturgy. No easy task, and I don't envy wrex's job. But I'd say fund raiser is probably the most important position needed, now, and if no one is prepared to do that job, and do it well, then I could suggest that the committee simply announces it's disbanding, and waits to see what happens. That might result in a new band of volunteers - or nothing. Either way, the town will get what it deserves.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:27 am »
Yorkie. to be fair, don't you give yourself a rest from it every year?  I thought you always went on holiday (deliberately) at that time?    Happy to be corrected.

Not every year!  Consider yourself corrected!   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2014, 09:30:43 am »

But you don't live in Llandudno, so I don't really see how it can affect you? I live in town and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's a tourist town, so anything that pulls tourists in is to be applauded, because many residents' livelihoods depend on the tourist pound.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:34 am »
anything that pulls tourists in is to be applauded, because many residents' livelihoods depend on the tourist pound.

That's an excellent point, but one, sadly, that many don't grasp. The quality of life for Llandudno's residents depends on it remaining one of the top tourist destinations for the UK. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »

But you don't live in Llandudno, so I don't really see how it can affect you? I live in town and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's a tourist town, so anything that pulls tourists in is to be applauded, because many residents' livelihoods depend on the tourist pound.

Bully for you Sir!   Of course we DID live in Town, and we DID have an Hotel at one time, but downsized to PB.    Consequently we are fully cognisant with both sides of the argument.   However, we have to visit the town to do all, or most, of our shopping, so still have to suffer the tremendous parking and congestion problems.

I am not against the Extravaganza per se, but would prefer it not to be in my back yard, to quote a popular euphemism.

Perhaps if a more positive attitude were expressed by a certain individual, instead of the constant moaning and groaning, it would help to create added enthusiasm in others.

I will be around for this year's event, ear plugs to the fore!   :D

Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
Well i leave the council alone then,if you think im moaning you got the wriong end of the stick,im frustrated that an event i love might disappear thats all Yorkie,i will not moan if we can;t find new blood but i will be very sad the event brings in the most beautifull steam traction engines some very good marching bands and still have David Alexandra so it will be a loss.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2014, 07:10:49 pm »
Just had a look at laterooms .com,it says there are 106 llandudno hotels yet for 2-5 may only 3 come up does anyone know why,they can;t all be booked up already.

The clue is in the name of the site you were on Wrex, "Laterooms". It's used by Hoteliers to sell rooms they haven't been able to fill at the normal price. So at the last minute they are made available, usually at a slight discount, to try and maximise occupancy. 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2014, 09:32:51 pm »

Don't judge by Laterooms Wrex-- not everyone uses such websites. ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.