Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175098 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2014, 12:11:52 pm »
Yorkie i will put your name on the list,i never new you cared .

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:05 pm »
Yorkie i will put your name on the list,i never new you cared .

Wrex, I am sure that by now you know that I am not a supporter of the Extravaganza in its present form.  I would like to see a move back about 20 years to the original concept of the Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza.  Other personal interests and commitments also prevent me from being a regular member of any committee.  Therefore, whilst I appreciate your putting my name forward, I will be unable to offer other than my usual support.
 :D   ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Barney Baker

« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »
In reply to Yorkie's response and everybody else's it is not necessarily young people we are after but new and physically able committee members who are capable of hard physical work over the whole weekend I start at 06:30 am and do not normally finish until 9pm and also those dark winter night when Wrex goes out to measure the roads and positions for the rides, if Yorkie feels he has the time and enthusiasm he is more than welcome, and as he is not a supporter that makes it even better as his experience and feeling of the whole event could be put to better use.

and taking the event back to its roots would require removing the single biggest financial income the event has ie the fair ground rides they pay for the majority of the event some 75-85%

as with all the comments on the forum ie why not have this or do that.......at the end of the day this event is always run by the core members who are volunteers and every year there are more legalities to deal with, health and safety, police, ambulance , insurance, council permissions, car parks to man, programme sellers, who can go  where, emergency route, evacuation procedures for fire, Flood, bomb alerts, missing children certificates and procedure, as you can see the list is endless

so be kind to dear old Wrex, come along and help us

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2014, 02:00:13 pm »
as with all the comments on the forum ie why not have this or do that.......at the end of the day this event is always run by the core members who are volunteers and every year there are more legalities to deal with

Indeed there are. Which is why it might make sense to try defining the specific jobs you need doing. People are often taken aback when they're expected or asked to do all sorts of things, but if they see a clearly defined job description at the outset it can make a lot of difference.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2014, 04:33:44 pm »
Help with keeping the stages running smoothly.Stewards for the parade.Programme sellers.Collectors for Mostyn st and the promenade.Barrier stewards.Ian these are a few things we could always do with extra bodies  with,just to name a few,i will get my full list together,thanks.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2014, 04:48:15 pm »
I'm pretty sure the NWWN will run a  little article for you outlining exactly what sorts of help you need.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
Judith is very good with the extravaganza,we could do a person who encourages local people and groups to dress up,Nemesis always turns up but the more the merrier.We could do with a person going round all buisnesses asking for donations,their views,it is the one job that is hard to fill,anyway i shall get a list made up at the next meeting and put it too Judith to see what she thinks,cheers Ian.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »
We could do with a person going round all buisnesses asking for donations,

To be perfectly honest, wrex, different people used to call annually into my office in C-y-D and I always supported the event with an advert even when it was highly unlikely my business would ever benefit financially from the Extravaganza, as you well know.

Then one day, I bought a programme during the Extravaganza weekend and noticed just how many large businesses in town did not have an advert in it at all when they each must have increased their takings that weekend by several thousands pounds.

Needless to say that was the last time I contributed.

This is just some feedback from a past financial supporter.

Perhaps, you need to approach the large retailers now rather than the towards end of April.

Good luck.  ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:07 am »
It's always been extraordinarily difficult getting the big businesses to contribute. That's a crucial job, and requires someone of tenacity, an outgoing personality, intelligence and charm who's also prepared to work every day for about three months, visiting the premises and confronting the senior manager in person.

Generally, it's work better done by a woman, since most managers are male and women are simply better at getting men to do their bidding, as it were. In the beginning the method was to 'phone every business in town to make an appointment, as they'll ignore letters. Then the person in question had to actually go to the business to meet the boss. It has to be the boss, because they're usually the only ones who can make the decision.  They're also the person least likely to be available when  you arrive for the appointment.

As you rightly point out, Bri, your business was never going to benefit directly from the Extravaganza, and many businesses will use that argument to deny contributions. The task of the fundraiser is to convince the Manager that any contribution not only helps the event in the short term, but publicises the business, makes a long term contribution to Llandudno as a community and  - by helping attract more and more visitors to the town - can only work well for any business in the end.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:55 am »
Thanks Ian,now all we need is that person.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
I can think of two in here who would be perfect...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2014, 11:15:48 am »
The other thing to bear in mind when soliciting funds is to prioritise the businesses, going first to those who will get a positive benefit and working down to those who will benefit least.   This way you should be able to get the maximum result without wasting time.

One small point, some businesses who may not benefit directly, are sometimes very generous with donations!  Here I would specifically include Building Companies, Utilities and other large Companies outside of the retail sector.

££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #522 on: January 20, 2014, 09:33:18 pm »
I have been in touch with the papers and hope we get some response,the event needs new blood if it is to continue.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:34 am »
How about employing these people to contact every business in Llandudno on a commission basis?

http://theprofessionalfundraiser.co.uk/

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #524 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:47 am »
Not sure where we go after this years event,i think a few of the hard workers are leaving so it will be very hard to continue.I don;t think there was any response from last weeks appeal in the press which does tell us that there is little interest in it.We all know the good and bad of the event and maybe it has run its course,i for one will not be glad to see it dissappear but you can only do so much,we do get support from local buissnesses but we need that one person who could approach them all and explain why we need 100% on this event.As long as i can remember no buissness has ever come along to us after the event and said thank you for putting the event on,we have had a fantastic weekend the hotel has been packed or you could;nt get a seat  or the till has;nt stopped ringing here is a Donation towards next year,it never happens,we always are expected to go cap in hand and beg,unless we say we are in a mess and next years event is in danger,WELL i think it is and maybe time has caught up with Llandudno.