Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175146 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:53 pm »
Oh poo,Oscar has a little piece on Cartrefi donating towards the Extravaganza ,all i can say is thank god they did because not many tourist buissnesses have,not lloking good for next year,maybe Maggie is right.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #421 on: April 03, 2013, 10:23:35 pm »
Somebody is spouting off on Oscar,true words but you just know we are going to get blasted as a bunch of moaning individuals,i just wish those who do make would thank and help.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #422 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »
Some good comments on Oscar and of course a few negative but i think this comment sums it all up   ;m.rydo
]h['qe,-86
 reb6yt6mwd

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #423 on: April 13, 2013, 03:02:29 pm »
Some good comments on Oscar, but as usual, a few negatives. This post sums up the extravaganza:
"Re: the "Great Unwashed", they were Victorians as well, you know? They were people who lived during the reign of Queen Victoria. Ergo, they have as much of a right to be represented in any attempt to portray the history of that time, alongside the usual lot with bonnetts, top-hats, pocket watches and waistcoats. Sartoriolly admirable as the upper classes may have been at the time, they weren't the be-all and end-all!

Regarding everything with the 'Ganza itself, the poor organisers (much like many groups organising things in the N. Wales area) are in the wonderful position of "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't". The big, more modern rides, such as the waltzers, whirlers, ghost trains, madly spinning gyroscopes and others are of course popular with young people and bring in footfall. The hook-a-duck stalls, hooplah, coconut shies follow in their wake. Now many think of these as being nothing more than glorified, gypsy-run (Apologies for being a tad unPC!!) dross, with flashing bulbs and pop music designed to wow people. I don't buy into that, they fill a much-needed gap, and are perefectly acceptable in a fairground setting.

The rides like helter skelters and carousels, which are seen to embody the Victorian asthetic, add in the aura of the times, not to mention the pipe organs, steamrollers and Victorian parades, with people in all the get-up aforementioned get up. But the simple fact of the matter is you're not going to attract thousands of people to have a look at a nice organ (har har!)or some people in 19th century dress, however nice and well-intentioned the volunteers may be. You will of course get enthusiasts and that's fine, but to bring in the massive amounts of tourists, you need a modern day fairground, as such, the Extravaganza has to be both.

The bugbear, as has been mentioned, is how much people ought to contribute to it, and the varying degress to which they do. Shops can counter that far from being an encouragement to footfall, the Extravaganza actually blocks up either side of Mostyn Street, confining people to the road where the rides are located, and actually hamper their efforts. I worked in town once during the Extravaganza, and we saw a drop in custom due to the sheer "blockage" caused by the crowd. Moreover, it took me half an hour to nip down the road for a sandwich!

A great comparison to the extravaganza is the pier - Victorian setting and ethos but with modern rides, arcades and shops; plenty of people visiting; plenty of shops paying rates. And big attraction to the town as well.

So - in summation; Victorian or not? Arguments to be made either way. And is it an ill-funded major tourist event which brings thousands to the town and thereby ought to receive cash from traders? Or is it a massive, annual multi-way b****r up for traffic, which stops shoppers from coming in to the town, and doesn't encourage visitors to spend their own money in the shops, thereby rendering it unworthy of contribution from businesses? "

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »
   THAT is a marvellous post. Well thought out, well written. As to the question at the end. Equally well thought out and written. I DON'T KNOW

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2013, 12:14:50 pm »
 &well&
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #426 on: April 19, 2013, 08:25:13 am »
Well its nearly upon us again,we had a meeting to just go over the final arrangements last nite,all seems in order,steam  traction engines ordered,organs ordered,bands ordered,entertainment ordered,programmes out,volunteers still sort, so all we need now is some sunshine.

Offline Jack

« Reply #427 on: April 19, 2013, 09:00:33 am »
Brought a copy of the official programme yesterday, very well designed and top quality  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #428 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »
Just been trying to get a room for 3 nights this weekend,it would appear that Beaumaris seems the closest,the Grand has a few costing £300 pound a night,ha.I do hope a few hotels express their gratituded for the effort it taken us to fill their rooms.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »
Good luck to you Wrex and all the others who put so much time and hard work into the event,    The weather forecast is good for the weekend so I hope that everything goes well and that it is another successful Extravaganza for everyone,       $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #430 on: May 02, 2013, 04:26:29 pm »
Yes good luck indeed and isn't it great to have a good news story for a change!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2013, 05:24:41 pm »
Thank you both.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:34 am »
the wife and i were travelling back today along the 55 and she was pointing out all the different show pieces making there way to Llandudno for the big show, you never think about the distances these attractions have to travel, but thanks to you and your colleges it all does for a great weekend. you deserve the good weather i hope it,s a great success for you all.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58:53 am »
I'm just having breakfast in Caffe Nero and its fascinating to see all the various rides being set up.

Wrex and all the other volunteers do a fantastic job in organising it all.  $good$

Offline coastal taff

« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:00 am »
Just tried to board two Arriva trains in the last half hour , both full. On enquiring why they are using only two carriage trains when the extravaganza is on , the answer was "What extravaganza"?