Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 589214 times)

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »
I understand that the Deganwy Castle Hotel has now been sold. Still no firm news on the purchaser. The name Charles Lynch has been mentoined, but I also understand that the owner of the Castle Hotel in Conwy had been seen looking around. I spoke with a local architect yesterday and he was aware of another interested party but would not give me details.
I will try and make contact with the agents next week to find out what I can. The last time I spoke with them they did indicate they had interested parties and had received at least one acceptable offer. They did say they were hopeful it would be sold by Christmas so it this news does seem to make sense.
The news has come from the current caretakers of the hotel.

The old Deganwy Station land has also been Sold (subject to contract).

Could the 2 sales be connected?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2010, 12:08:27 am »
Significantly more questions than answers here then,

Dave R and I were travelling past The Deganwy Castle yesterday and bemoaning the fact that none of our ''local eyesores'' are being improved in the slightest.
So, lets hope that whatever comes next for this once beauiful hotel is positive, and sympathetic to its history, and the local area.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2010, 10:38:22 am »
All will be revealed shortly, I'm sure.  ;)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »
I was talking to a friend recently about the Deganwy Castle Hotel and he told me that part of the hotel is a listed building.   Apparently the centre part is the bit that is listed but the sides are not.
If this is the case I wonder if it will put off the person that is alleged to be interested in buying the property, or will something similar to Penmorfa happen?    In Penmorfa's case strangely enough no part of it was listed.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2010, 04:39:53 pm »
Yes still lots of questions and few answers.
My understanding is that although it is the former farm house that attracted the Grade 2 listing, the fact the other buildings were part of the site at the time or the listing they are also covered by the listing (as are the grounds).
Hence any changes would required listed building consent from CADW. This does mean the other parts can not be changed but they will need to to through additional "hoops".
The agent was making everyone aware of the constraints and he did indicate it made it a a very difficult site to sell.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »
Hia Jason, I was  just wondering if a building is grade 2 listed, does that mean the inside is listed too or is that separate ?
 ?{}?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:18 pm »
Over in Colwyn Bay, we have the former A & A Cash & Carry Shop at 7 Abergele road. For many years, it was famous locally as 'Dandos Toy Shop'. Originally a beautifully designed shop (by Colwyn Foulkes), the building is now empty and abandoned, with a hideous steel shutter all along the ground floor and only its upper exterior retaining the original design. With significant grant money available from the Heritage Lottery Fund to pay for restoration of original features, now is the time for this building to be restored to its former glory.

[smg id=740]
This building is now for sale - at just £150,000. Not a bad price for a very impressive building in the centre of Colwyn Bay.

Full details: http://www.richardbaddeley.co.uk/media/6035/7%20abergele%20road,%20colwyn%20bay%20%281%29.pdf

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »
Hia Jason, I was  just wondering if a building is grade 2 listed, does that mean the inside is listed too or is that separate ?
 ?{}?
I'll answer for Jason, hope he doesnt mind.  8)

When a Building is Listed, it covers both the inside and outside of the building, together with the curtilage (grounds, outbuildings etc).  Sometimes, individual interior features (e. a staircase) are mentioned separately in the Listing but, regardless of that, all of the interior is protected.  :)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:12 pm »
thats excellent cheers Dave  :-*

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:37 am »
 ?{}?
Hi Pendragon
We are a grade 2 listed building and therefore have great difficulty in making any alterations at all, either inside or out. This includes anything like Sky dish, garden features, internal walls, windows etc.
A full list of such buildings, lamposts and any other 'objects' can be obtained from the Welsh Assembly. It is over 400 pages long, just for Llandudno.
Nemesis
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2010, 08:39:11 pm »
 ?{}?
I'll answer for Jason, hope he doesnt mind.  8)

When a Building is Listed, it covers both the inside and outside of the building, together with the curtilage (grounds, outbuildings etc).  Sometimes, individual interior features (e. a staircase) are mentioned separately in the Listing but, regardless of that, all of the interior is protected.  :)

Thanks Dave.

You are of course correct, it is interesting to compare the DCH listing, with that of the Civic Hall in Conwy where it is just the facade that is protected.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »
Indeed, because anything built after 1948 is not included in the Listing. I think the cladding on the civic hall is unlikely to be included, even if it lasts for another 100 years!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »
 :(The old travel agents next to Peacocks seems to have been cordened off.I did notice that they had scaffold up last year and within a week of removing it a piece of render had fallen off,so the painters must have known it was loose but still just painted over it,cowboys. :-*

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:09 am »
 ::) HAPPY NEW YEAR ,next week see's the start on Llandudno station,well that is what cll Ron told me,obviously with Ron's health problems i will not be chasing him for results but i hope he is right. ZXZ

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »
:(The old travel agents next to Peacocks seems to have been cordened off.
Some quite large pieces to from what I've seen