Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 576093 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1020 on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »
Leader of Llandudno Grand Theatre pressure group says it will survive

Jan 13, 2015 08:30
By Jez Hemming

A trust committed to preserving a seaside town’s heritage says a building housing a century old theatre will survive 'one way or another'.

The Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust are campaigning to save and reopen the town’s Grand Theatre, latterly the venue for former Boulevard nightclub, as part of a community interest company.

Chairman of the Trust, John Lawson-Reay, says the features of the Grade II listed building will have to be kept whether his organisation manages to reopen the building as a community resource or not.

The venue, which has structural issues, was originally for sale at £750,000 but the price was reduced by a third to encourage buyers and put up for auction late last year.

There were no takers for the structure, which began as the Grand Theatre in around 1901, and that gave the Trust hope it could be saved.

“If someone does buy it perhaps they would open it as a nightclub,” he said. “But they would have to repair the building. It’s one of the finest examples in the country. As it’s a listed building it’s going to survive one way or another, whether we manage to get it or not.”

John says he has looked around the building and, although there are serious structural problems to overcome, he believes it can be saved and be a useful addition to the Llandudno community.

“I have got a vision that it could be brought back into use as a cinema,” said the historian, professional photographer and former BBC cameraman.

“With digital equipment it could be done quite cheaply. It’s got very good acoustics and it could be used for community performances and as an amateur dramatic centre.”

The group made a business plan and John has looked at other theatre restoration groups around the country, speaking with various figures in the theatrical industry.

He believes they can get the necessary funding to revamp the old theatre and turn the venture into a community interest company which is self-sustaining.

They have also engaged a structural engineer and architect with expertise in theatre design to sort out the practicalities but the sticking point is gaining control of the building.

“After we got the business plan the owner decided to sell,” revealed John. “We are now waiting to see what happens as regards the ownership.

“If no one steps in and buys it then we have a chance. It is our intention to form a Community Interest Company to run the business.

“Our trust is only geared up to saving buildings but not running them. We intend eventually to raise funds locally from interested people.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/leader-llandudno-grand-theatre-pressure-8434085

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1021 on: January 13, 2015, 04:44:18 pm »
Still no sign of the Tudno Castle starting,quite concerning i thinks.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1022 on: February 05, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »
It appears the Grand Theatre may have finally been sold, subject to contract.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1023 on: February 05, 2015, 04:28:07 pm »
Bri any more info.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1024 on: February 05, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
Only the fact the prospective purchasers are private buyers.

And Di and Rod are hoping to bring Aunty Daisy up for her birthday.  +}}{--

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1025 on: February 05, 2015, 04:58:55 pm »
Good news on both fronts.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1026 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »
Is it just me or does anybody else think the interference with the sale of Broadway by the new trust might put the new buyers off.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1027 on: February 12, 2015, 08:47:05 am »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/development-llandudnos-tudno-castle-hotel-8621355

From today's Daily Post Wrex

Lenny Henry will still be sleeping under the stars. !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1028 on: February 12, 2015, 10:52:05 am »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/development-llandudnos-tudno-castle-hotel-8621355

Or at Craigside, or the Junction? 😀
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1029 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:46 pm »

Or at Craigside, or the Junction? 😀

It wouldn't surprise me if this project went the same way as the Penmorfa Hotel at West Shore sseing as Mostyn Estates are involved.  Hope they don't leave the former Llandudno YC as long as they have the hotel
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:40:07 am by Ian »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1030 on: February 13, 2015, 09:06:33 am »
Exactly !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1031 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:53 am »
I admit I wonder why they don't simply demolish the old hotel then rebuild the façade as it was. After all, it's the look of the place that usually gets it listed, so providing they used materials as close as possible to the original and kept the design the same it might be okay.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1032 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:54 pm »
I admit I wonder why they don't simply demolish the old hotel then rebuild the façade as it was. After all, it's the look of the place that usually gets it listed, so providing they used materials as close as possible to the original and kept the design the same it might be okay.

That’s exactly what they did with the old Davies Shop at the back of Clinton Cards on Somerset Street Ian.

and Hugo the Penmorfa has been left derelict quite deliberately and legally so that Anwyl will qualify for a huge tax break when they build on the site. I’m not sure but I think it takes 5 years to meet the requirements.

Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1033 on: February 16, 2015, 07:45:51 pm »

That’s exactly what they did with the old Davies Shop at the back of Clinton Cards on Somerset Street Ian.

and Hugo the Penmorfa has been left derelict quite deliberately and legally so that Anwyl will qualify for a huge tax break when they build on the site. I’m not sure but I think it takes 5 years to meet the requirements.

Thanks Blongb  that's very interesting to hear.     $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1034 on: April 07, 2015, 06:14:25 pm »
Is the Royal hotel on our list,if not im nominating it.