Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 587325 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #990 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:12 pm »
December is here and no sign of Opus starting on the Tudno Castle,looks like 2017 finish at the earliest.
I suspect you may be right, Wrex, sadly.

Wrex get on the case and sort it out with CCBC,   Mostyn Estates own the building and the freehold so the buck stops there!
While I'm at it they now own the former Llandudno Youth Club so you can add that as an up and coming eyesore.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #991 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
For once Hugo i don;t think this has got anything too do with CCBC ,i hope not anyway.The developers and Mostyn Estates might not have the funds or they are just waiting for another tennant before they start,or maybe they never really planned on starting in the summer of 2014,im sure it will eventually start but there is certainly no hurry too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #992 on: December 01, 2014, 10:21:26 pm »
No pressure on Mostyn Estates then!      No worries for them about any repair notices or whatever needs to be done to ensure the place is safe and not an eyesore.
It seems that that they never have to dip into their pockets and are exempt from everything.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #993 on: December 02, 2014, 08:25:18 am »
The Developers will be controlling the pace of the scheme, getting the financing in place and sorting out the contracts for building contractors etc. It will be they, rather than Mostyn Estates, who decides when work starts.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #994 on: December 02, 2014, 09:24:45 am »
Do you think there maybe an arrangement in place to not start work until the other one has opened?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #995 on: December 02, 2014, 11:04:34 am »
I wouldn't have thought so, I imagine there's a keen rivalry between Premier Inn and Travelodge.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #996 on: December 02, 2014, 11:29:43 am »
I'm waiting to see what arrangements are made for car parking................especially at the Clarence! It should be interesting to say the least.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #997 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:30 pm »
Same as the old Clarence hotel,street parking.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #998 on: December 03, 2014, 08:16:04 am »
They can use that council car park further down Gloddaeth St maybe?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #999 on: December 03, 2014, 08:28:17 am »
Street parking busy, especially at weekends, a lot of trade at Bonkers.

Public Car Parks--- I can imagine the grumbling if the weather is bad !!!

We shall wait and see.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1000 on: December 03, 2014, 01:20:13 pm »
They can use that council car park further down Gloddaeth St maybe?

I was thinking the same, until I realised that there is not a space to be had in there, in high season.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1001 on: December 03, 2014, 01:55:16 pm »
There is another car park across the road behind Wetherspoons.

and don’t forget hotel proprietors are given passes by Conwy Council for their customers with cars for street parking.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1002 on: December 03, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »
They should have turned the Clarence into a multi-storey car park.  Probably would make more money with much less hassle than an hotel. 

Maelgwyn Road Car Park is earmarked for development by ME.

Parking facilities in the Town are totally inadequate, as one would expect of an old delapidated Victorian Town.   The affect of the additional development on all sides has not been catered for, and further development will only make matters worse.

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1003 on: December 03, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »
There is another car park across the road behind Wetherspoons.

and don’t forget hotel proprietors are given passes by Conwy Council for their customers with cars for street parking.

Not an awful lot of 'given' by CCBC. A lot of hotels 'buy' spaces.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1004 on: December 04, 2014, 09:03:01 am »
A Trust has been formed to try and buy the Grand Theatre and bring it back into community use. I'd like to wish the Grand Theatre Trust every success in their efforts to save this wonderful old Theatre. You can see my 'Backstage Tour' of the Theatre here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/sets/72157623521219490/

Race is on to save dilapidated Llandudno theatre
Published date: 03 December 2014 | Published by: Dean Jones

THE race is on to save a dilapidated Llandudno theatre hidden deep within a nightclub.

Members of a trust set up to save the Grand Theatre on Mostyn Broadway have warned time is running out to purchase the property, previously home to the Boulevard nightclub.

With the site set to go to auction on Wednesday, December 10, Trust members are working hard to put together a package to buy the Grade II listed building, opened in 1901, with the hope of restoring the theatre to its former glory.

Mark Pavey, working on behalf of the Grand Theatre Trust, said: “There is an incredible amount of structural damage to the theatre, and we are concerned that it could fall into the wrong hands and be turned into a commercial development.

“Llandudno must become a place to come and think rather than drink, to relax and prosper rather than stress and struggle, to feed the imagination of those who visit it and to reward those who chose to remain or move here.”

The proposed restoration will see the theatre become a prominent feature of Llandudno once again, with the trust planning to install a digital cinema projection system, with a view to showing blockbuster movies at weekends.

Last week an independent buyer put forward an offer of £475,000 accepted on the property, but later withdrew the bid after assessing structural damage associated with the site.

Mr Pavey said: “I think the buyer was unaware of just how much work needs doing to it, which is quite significant.”

The building was initially on the market for £750,000, but recently had its asking price slashed by a third to attract more interest.

Owners Atmosphere Bars and Clubs went into administration in May, 2013 due to what was described as a consequence of cash flow problems.

The venue remained open while administrators Deloitte LPC sought to sell the parent company, but the Boulevard eventually closed its doors for good in June, 2013.

Councillor Malcolm Bullock, mayor of Llandudno, said: “This is a building that Llandudno has missed and one that needs to be open.”

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/141496/race-is-on-to-save-dilapidated-llandudno-theatre.aspx