Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575979 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #915 on: April 03, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »
I've just seen the photos of Llandudno's North Shore beach in the NWWN and it's more horrific than I imagined.    I then read an article on it and copied this extract.
" Councillor Mike Priestley, Conwy's cabinet member for environment, has worked with the campaigners but questioned whether a sandy beach would give sufficient protection against floods.

"Yes, we can look at options," he said.

"Some people were saying we need to bring back a beach and what will hold that in place is old wooden groynes.

"No-one in their right mind is going to give you millions and millions of pounds to do that knowing what evidence there is to keep that sand in place.

"To get that evidence you're going to have to model what your proposals are. To model those proposals it's going to cost tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of pounds."

I take back my comments referring to some Councillors as nodding Donkeys as I now realise that it's an insult to the Donkeys intelligence.
Llandudno has two beaches and the Councillors by their intervention have wrecked both of them.     They imported sand onto the West Shore beach where it wasn't needed and imported stone onto the North Shore where it wasn't wanted.     Why can't they get things right?         :rage:

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #916 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »
Don't get to upset Hugo just remember who supported the ruination of our Beaches come Local Election time
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #917 on: April 03, 2014, 05:08:55 pm »
Don't get to upset Hugo just remember who supported the ruination of our Beaches come Local Election time

It just doesn't happen B.  The same old army gets re-elected time after time.  Look at the names of all the old school on Llandudno Town Council who have been there since Noah was a child!   ZXZ

It will continue 'till time immemorial.

The recent demonstrations will be forgotten in a few weeks!   :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Online Hugo

« Reply #918 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:58 pm »

Even though I don't live in Llandudno any more, it still annoys me to see what these Councillors are doing to my home town.    Is there any way to find out exactly who voted for this eyesore?  If so then people could be made aware of their names  come election time.

Offline hollins

« Reply #919 on: April 03, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »
I share Hugo's disappointment to put it mildly. Passed by the station and felt heartened and then turned up the road past the Imperial to be met by the biggest wagon I have ever seen trying to turn on to the promenade. Presumably a huge amount of stone on board. How sad.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #920 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

Even though I don't live in Llandudno any more, it still annoys me to see what these Councillors are doing to my home town.    Is there any way to find out exactly who voted for this eyesore?  If so then people could be made aware of their names  come election time.

Unless it is requested at the time a Vote is called for a particular Proposal, no record is kept of who is "for" and who is "against".   All it takes to pass any Motion is just a simple majority, providing there is a quorum of probably 10 Councillors from 30 in the full Council!   So in essence,  6 could decide between life or death! ZXZ

Also the Minutes of Meeting do not show the names of the Proposer or Seconder of any Motion.  Presumably on the basis of everyone is thereby blameless!   :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #921 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:45 pm »
From memory,  pebbles were originally put there over 20 years following much debate.  There was a lot of angst over West Shore at the same time - Dr Barber (?) was the consultant.

Online Hugo

« Reply #922 on: April 03, 2014, 07:37:52 pm »
From memory,  pebbles were originally put there over 20 years following much debate.  There was a lot of angst over West Shore at the same time - Dr Barber (?) was the consultant.

Cambrian, if Dr Barber is the same idiot that proposed the West Shore sea defence then his proposal for the North Shore was just as stupid.
He proposed that a breakwater be built ( like the one at Rhos )  and it would be situated past the end of the pier and between the Great Orme and the Little Orme.  Unbelievable and they paid these consultants,  they should have sued them instead for the damage caused.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #923 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:45 pm »
I went to a meeting at Venue Cymru back in 2001 or 2 to hear what Mr Barker who was then the chief Executive of Conwy Council was proposing for our sea defences on the North Shore. When he said they were going to put stones on the beach the room erupted in uproar. The meeting didn't last much longer because a certain Mr Dickins (late of the Bay Tree) informed Mr Barker that if they put any stones on the beach between the slipway and the Pier, which was being proposed at the time, then he would personally hang Mr Barker from the nearest lamppost before the lorry delivering the stones could turn around.

Mr Barker walked out of the meeting and no further consultation with the local community took place. The stones were duly put on the beach but not on what is now laughingly called kiddies corner.

What a shame Mr Dickins gave Mr Barker such a limited promise.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #924 on: April 03, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
    All the papers are full of annoyed Llandudno residents complaining about rocks being placed on the North Shore beach. A local historian/photographer even put a 70 year old photo of the North shore allegedly showing lots of sand.
   Unfortunately for me I'm 82 years old and I grew up in Rhos. So I have personal experience of Llandudnos north shore 70 years ago.And I can tell you that is has ALWAYS been a stony, rocky beach. Thats just how it is. As kids we played on the beach every day, but not Llandudno. Nor Rhos, which is and was even stonier. No, Colwyn Bay has always, always had the most sand. And the best of the lot? Rhyl. No question. Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #925 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »
I took this photo of North Shore back in 2005 - hardly a sand filled paradise....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/25702332/in/set-72057594059686122

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #926 on: April 03, 2014, 09:34:22 pm »
As unattractive as they are, the stones undoubtedly form a useful role in breaking up the power of the high tides. I know this as I'm down on North Shore for every major High Tide and they really do work.

If the stones are removed, what will replace them to break up the force of the waves? Talk of a simple solution of groynes is, I feel, a little optimistic, as they will just not be effective in dealing with the more extreme weather we seem to be getting on a regular basis these days. The tide we saw on the 5th Dec 2013 was amazing - by far the highest tide I've ever seen.

Offline mull

« Reply #927 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:10 pm »
In the past it was a pebble and sand beach.

Not Rock Armour .

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #928 on: April 03, 2014, 10:00:24 pm »
If the stones are removed, what will replace them to break up the force of the waves? Talk of a simple solution of groynes is, I feel, a little optimistic, as they will just not be effective in dealing with the more extreme weather we seem to be getting on a regular basis these days.

Every proposal will cost money, and the stones almost certainly do the job required for the least cost. There are other possibilities, such as beach recharging through remote dredge and pumping operations, but the cost of that can be eye-watering.

There are really two separate issues: tides and storms. Beach recharging might well be effective against the tidal range, although longshore drift will inevitably reduce the sand over time. Against storms - thankfully infrequent from the North - there's little alternative to stones for energy dissipation or a harbour. The Bay is rather large for a harbour, so it's hard to see a financially reasonable solution.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Hugo

« Reply #929 on: April 03, 2014, 10:29:02 pm »
I took this photo of North Shore back in 2005 - hardly a sand filled paradise....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/25702332/in/set-72057594059686122

If I'm not mistaken that photo was taken somewhere around the Venue Cymru area and that has always been a natural pebble beach so nothing artificial has been introduced there.   The sandy beach area that we remember is the more popular area from approximately the Imperial area to the Pier.   It was never the best of sandy beaches but the introduction of rocks has spoilt even that.