Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575040 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #870 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:03 pm »
I suppose it will have an effect on some (and I think Llandudno is over-served by some types of accomodation that perhaps could be lost, mainly larger poor quality hotels which could be converted to housing or other use - the Clarence was a case in point before it closed).  However, there are also people who specifically look for good deals in Premier Inns and Travelodges and go to places accordingly.  These people might never have come to Llandudno without that kind of offer.  There are lots of different types of traveller, some like staying in a cosy b&b, while some could be on business or can't be bothered trawling the net and would rather get a deal with their hotel operator of choice.  I think it'll be beneficial for the town.
I agree. I think Llandudno would, in the long term, benefit from having a smaller number of higher quality hotel bedrooms. Peoples' standard of living has increased so much in recent years that many hotels have catching up to do in order to meet visitors raised expectations of bedroom and bathroom decor. Visitors are not going to pay to stay in bedrooms that are not as nice as their own at home.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #871 on: February 06, 2014, 10:02:59 pm »
We are not talking about a large number of Bedrooms in either the Travelodge or Premier Inn to make that much difference, both of which I welcome into the town.

Neither of them are on the front and neither of them looks as if they will provide Parking.

Their clients, many of them new to Llandudno, will come see the Resort for what it is, with its huge array of accommodation choices most of whom will be charging a lot less per night than the chain Hotels will be able to charge.

After all when you have just spent a fortune on rebuilding the Clarence and the North Western, investors will be looking for a quick return on their money.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #872 on: February 06, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »
Do we know how many bedrooms in each?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #873 on: February 07, 2014, 08:19:57 am »
Their clients, many of them new to Llandudno, will come see the Resort for what it is, with its huge array of accommodation choices most of whom will be charging a lot less per night than the chain Hotels will be able to charge.

What proportion of Llandudno hoteliers still charge per person as opposed to per room?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #874 on: February 07, 2014, 08:41:32 am »
I suppose it will have an effect on some (and I think Llandudno is over-served by some types of accomodation that perhaps could be lost, mainly larger poor quality hotels which could be converted to housing or other use - the Clarence was a case in point before it closed).  However, there are also people who specifically look for good deals in Premier Inns and Travelodges and go to places accordingly.  These people might never have come to Llandudno without that kind of offer.  There are lots of different types of traveller, some like staying in a cosy b&b, while some could be on business or can't be bothered trawling the net and would rather get a deal with their hotel operator of choice.  I think it'll be beneficial for the town.

The council are not happy at all about conversion from hotel/B&B to anything domestic. Planning and endless cost and red tape involved !!!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #875 on: February 07, 2014, 09:08:00 am »

What proportion of Llandudno hoteliers still charge per person as opposed to per room?

When you can get a room from TL  or Pr for £29 a night and sleep a family, I think they will be pretty busy with advance bookings. 
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #876 on: February 07, 2014, 09:10:42 am »
TL are sometimes £19.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #877 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:04 am »
If the town wants to keep it prime position with nearly 20% of serviced bed space in Wales, it makes sense to resist change of use from hotels/BB to flats - look what happened to Rhyl and the Bay - for speculative reasons.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #878 on: February 07, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
I was surprised to find nothing about the new Premier Inn development in yesterday's NWWN.  &shake&

I guess we have to be grateful to this forum and the Pioneer for reporting it.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #879 on: February 07, 2014, 11:46:59 pm »
People with a bit of money buy a property do it up and rent it out without any thought for the neighbours,town nothing just as long as they are grabing the money and live well away.Money.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #880 on: February 08, 2014, 12:03:28 am »
The council are not happy at all about conversion from hotel/B&B to anything domestic. Planning and endless cost and red tape involved !!!!

Not quite as difficult as you think Nemesis. 4 years non trading and there is nothing to stop you i.e. Plas Tirrion, Hafod Y Mor, Beaulieu, and Messina to name the ones who have already changed in my neck of the woods.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #881 on: February 08, 2014, 12:14:15 am »
When you can get a room from TL  or Pr for £29 a night and sleep a family, I think they will be pretty busy with advance bookings. 

TL are sometimes £19.

Go onto TL or Pr website and try and book a room in a place you would like to consider staying and see what rates you come up with. There is no way on God's earth you will ever be able to book a room from either in Llandudno for the prices you are quoting

Offline Linda

« Reply #882 on: February 08, 2014, 02:13:08 am »
I was looking for B and b for Hub and myself the day we move ,so we can just move our stuff into new home and have a night to relax before starting to clean and unpack the day after. I looked at a few and Premier was £73 that was without breakfast so i wonder where the bargain prices are for premier. I dont mind really parking and food available is a plus.

Offline Gaylord Screwsby

« Reply #883 on: February 08, 2014, 06:31:17 am »

TL are sometimes £19.

Go onto TL or Pr website and try and book a room in a place you would like to consider staying and see what rates you come up with. There is no way on God's earth you will ever be able to book a room from either in Llandudno for the prices you are quoting

Not too sure about this. A couple of years ago I got a family room for four of us in the Premier Inn at Clan Conwy for £20 £7.50 breakfast for me and the wife kids eat free. Family room in Cardiff for £29 last year. The cheap rooms are limited in number but are out there. You're assured of a decent standard of food and room in a Premier Inn that you don't always get in a traditional B & B. On the other hand I'm always underwhelmed by Travelodge rooms.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #884 on: February 08, 2014, 08:49:48 am »
I suspect the cheap rooms are loss leaders, but they certainly do exist. There simple aren't too many, so you have to be in early to get them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.