Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 588856 times)

Offline Ian48

Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #855 on: February 04, 2014, 11:32:01 am »
It also says in a separate brochure for the restaurants with the agents (WSB) that one of the restaurants is already 'under offer' to Prezzo, which will be a good name to have in town and a good quality national Italian restaurant chain (nearest one is Cheshire Oaks I think at the moment).

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #856 on: February 04, 2014, 11:35:14 am »
It's a shame the retail block isn't more of a retro design following the lines of the hotel instead of looking like a bit of Lego added at the side!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian48

« Reply #857 on: February 04, 2014, 11:50:23 am »
Sometimes I think it's better to have a modern look rather than a pastiche effect.  It's hard to justify building a modern retail premises with bay windows and plastic moulding etc.  New against old can often make quite a nice contrast.  For example, I think the additions to Oriel Mostyn look fantastic compared to some fake Victoriana.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #858 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:24 pm »
If those two restaurant units are approved on the Conway Road side that's an end to the Hotel having a car park
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #859 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:45 pm »
It also says in a separate brochure for the restaurants with the agents (WSB) that one of the restaurants is already 'under offer' to Prezzo, which will be a good name to have in town and a good quality national Italian restaurant chain (nearest one is Cheshire Oaks I think at the moment).

There is a Prezzo in Oswestry, it is very good.  :-*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #860 on: February 04, 2014, 11:31:48 pm »
If those two restaurant units are approved on the Conway Road side that's an end to the Hotel having a car park

Premier Inn's rarely have a car park BlongB, but usually have a special discount deal with a nearby commercial car park.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #861 on: February 05, 2014, 05:56:00 am »
Prezzy would be a good brand to have in town there's one in new brighton and it is very nice, as for car parking they could do a deal with the company running the station car park.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #862 on: February 05, 2014, 07:39:50 am »
The whole of Parc Llandudno sits there empty all night and we are concerned with car parking,don;t think so the main thing here is the end of an eyesore,then jobs,then some quality chain restaurants then maybe parking although as in Colwyn Bay they will use the shopping center next door.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #863 on: February 05, 2014, 10:25:43 am »
i agree with you rex loads of parking available could even use the coach park ,coaches can,t park there everytime i go past its empty, and the hotel looks good on the plans .

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #864 on: February 05, 2014, 11:00:51 am »
Furthermore, there is unrestricted parking 24/7 on that stretch of Conway Road outside the new development stretching back to the entrance of Parc Llandudno and on the other side of the road outside Kwik Fit.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #865 on: February 06, 2014, 08:10:29 am »
and it is unrestricted along Vaughan Street until its junction with Oxford Road.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #866 on: February 06, 2014, 03:16:25 pm »
I take on-board what has been said about parking but it seems very strange to me that it's the councils policy that large houses are refused planning permission to convert into apartments unless there is car parking space for 2 cars per apartment and along come Premier Inn who are gratefully allowed to build on theirs 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #867 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:15 pm »
I will only stay at places with very good car parking, I'm always cautious where I leave my car parked! (Car enthusiast!)
No one seems to have mentioned the knock on effects to existing hotels and guest houses of a large Travel Lodge and Premier Inn in Llandudno! When we lived near Porthmadog the new Travel Lodge had a big effect on local guest houses etc!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian48

« Reply #868 on: February 06, 2014, 04:37:21 pm »
I suppose it will have an effect on some (and I think Llandudno is over-served by some types of accomodation that perhaps could be lost, mainly larger poor quality hotels which could be converted to housing or other use - the Clarence was a case in point before it closed).  However, there are also people who specifically look for good deals in Premier Inns and Travelodges and go to places accordingly.  These people might never have come to Llandudno without that kind of offer.  There are lots of different types of traveller, some like staying in a cosy b&b, while some could be on business or can't be bothered trawling the net and would rather get a deal with their hotel operator of choice.  I think it'll be beneficial for the town. 

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #869 on: February 06, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »
No one seems to have mentioned the knock on effects to existing hotels and guest houses of a large Travel Lodge and Premier Inn in Llandudno! 

I wonder if it is because the two buildings eventually became local eyesores?