Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 585584 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #780 on: September 12, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »
and they are allowing that monster of a concerete thing ,the new ysgol gogarth ,says it all about our council and mostyn est

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #781 on: September 12, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »
I don't think anyone objects to double glazed windows, merely cheap plastic ones. If people buy Victorian buildings, they should be prepared to make the effort to maintain them to a suitable standard surely?

If only that were the case Dave, I want to install "Like for Like" sash style double glazed windows, which would cost me at least 3 times the price of the cheap ones (They look and operate just like the Victorian ones) and have been told under no circumstances will I be given permission. (Already installed in the Empire and the Merrion Hotels)

To help bring my heating bill down and make the place habitable during the Winter months the Conservation Department did come up with the recommendation that I install roof insulation in a Cavity Space that does not exist in my building and that I should install secondary double glazing but that was vetoed during my Fire Safety Inspection when the Inspecting Fire Officer said no, I was not to install it, as it would impede egress of the building in an emergency.

With 65% of Buildings in the Conservation Area benefitting from double glazed windows, of one style or another; with or without permission, all I want is a level playing field, lower Winter Fuel Bills and a Habitable home to enjoy instead of having to endure.

How true Blongb-- we were told exactly the same thing---14 years ago ! Our windows are so bad that up on the top floor where we sleep we have been known to seal them with masking tape in bad weather.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #782 on: September 12, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »
and they are allowing that monster of a concerete thing ,the new ysgol gogarth ,says it all about our council and mostyn est

Just like when they did the extensions to Venue Cymru. Planning and Conservation rules are for the little people to obey but not the Council :rage:
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #783 on: September 12, 2013, 05:26:34 pm »

How true Blongb-- we were told exactly the same thing---14 years ago ! Our windows are so bad that up on the top floor where we sleep we have been known to seal them with masking tape in bad weather.

What do you say we forming a protest group Nem, to seek justice by claiming compensation for our excessive Winter fuel bills caused as a direct result of CCBC intransigent Double Glazing Policy?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #784 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
It does seem very unfair, if the double glazing you seek is in a Victorian style.... and much worse is being allowed (or ignored) in other similar establishments.
Does anyone know why The Empire etc, are treated differently?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #785 on: September 12, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
MONEY ???  :D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #786 on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »
It does seem very unfair, if the double glazing you seek is in a Victorian style.... and much worse is being allowed (or ignored) in other similar establishments.
Does anyone know why The Empire etc, are treated differently?

What amazes me is the vast number who complain about the service from CCBC, but seem to do little about it!  Why don't they get together, demand an investigation, complain to the Ombudsman, or even the Queen?

I recently had a dispute with  CCBC and dealt with it by bombarding the Officer responsible on a daily basis and then when nothing was done did the same with the CEO, threatening him and his Staff with the Local Government Ombudsman.  Result was a result, and if the problem recurs I will do it all again.

I also kept my Ward Councillors informed so they had the opportunity to help also.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #787 on: September 13, 2013, 04:50:43 am »
Work has started on the Black Lion in Conwy. Photo courtesy of Chris Dearden, BBC Reporter.

Does that say 1589 above the door Dave?  $cofffee$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #788 on: September 13, 2013, 08:20:27 am »
I recently had a dispute with  CCBC and dealt with it by bombarding the Officer responsible on a daily basis and then when nothing was done did the same with the CEO, threatening him and his Staff with the Local Government Ombudsman.  Result was a result

It does seem that an approach combining the relentless tenacity of a terrier with the patience of a hooded cobra is needed when dealing with problems and local councils. But that inertia is endemic throughout pubic services, I'm afraid.  The big divisions - HMRC and DVLA - are no different at all, and it takes an enormous amount of time and patience to secure a win against either. One massive advantage we have, however, is that almost all these places - and that includes CCBC - now routinely record telephone conversations, and that's helped me on more than one occasion.

Some tips I've found very useful:

1. Never lose your cool.  It plays into their hands and - if you start raving - they're often instructed to put the 'phone down on you.  Remain calm, dispassionate and courteous throughout.

2. Always write down three things when you start a 'phone conversation:  the date, the time and the name of the person involved.

3. Be sure of your facts. Have a written summary available when you make a call and never be tempted to embellish your case.

4. If you have a 'phone system which can record the conversation, use it and tell them you're using it.

I've secured written apologies and financial compensation from both HMRC and DVLA simply by adopting that strategy.  But Yorkie is spot on:  complain relentlessly and copy everyone into the complaint whom you think can help you.  Unfortunately, that seems to be the nly way tyo get things changed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #789 on: September 13, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »
I agree with both Ian and Yorkie about the need to pursue complaints absolutely relentlessly.

I have done so with many organisations in the past, even including the NHS, Parking tickets, the Courts and large companies such as SKY.

I would add one thing to Ian's list.  ALWAYS GO HIGHER!

The threat to escalate the problem through the management levels is often enough to get the result,  if not then simply speak to the next person up.
I often say the following words in a calm and measured voice... ''please give me the name of the person who is empowered to resolve this problem''

Senior managers hate the prospect of getting a Director involved, as they will have been seen to have failed to resolve the issue, so they quite often capitulate at that point.  WWW
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:01 am »
I often say the following words in a calm and measured voice... ''please give me the name of the person who is empowered to resolve this problem''

Indeed, that instils fear into the hearts of most managers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2013, 07:35:54 am »
Seems a weird way of doing up a major hotel,no scaffold,no hoarding,very bizzar

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2013, 09:20:23 am »
Seems a weird way of doing up a major hotel,no scaffold,no hoarding,very bizzar
I don't think they can start work on the outside until the Road Closure Notice is issued?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #793 on: September 16, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »
It has all been done before so it should be straight forward,is this CCBC being awkward again.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »
Had a look at this when passing the other day.  There is construction work underway on the other side of Bodhyfryd Road so this may mean that the original closure may need tweaking or renewing. One person's work can be someone else's obstruction.