Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 585828 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1440 on: October 28, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »
Llandudno fireworks display for this coming Saturday 5 November 2016 cancelled according to Llandudno Fireworks Display Facebook page. 

https://www.facebook.com/llandudnofireworks/
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1441 on: October 29, 2016, 11:02:54 am »
So we've had the Airshow which failed to take off and now the Fireworks have been snuffed out. Here's hoping the plans for organising a drinking competition in a brewery work out...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1442 on: October 29, 2016, 11:32:58 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1443 on: October 29, 2016, 11:35:20 am »
The comment on the Daily Post report by the council telling people to go elsewhere is typical. Why not put in so many words 'Go to Colwyn Bay'  ???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1444 on: October 29, 2016, 07:40:35 pm »
Llandudno fireworks display for this coming Saturday 5 November 2016 cancelled according to Llandudno Fireworks Display Facebook page. 

https://www.facebook.com/llandudnofireworks/

The failure to deliver this spectacle for 'insurance' reasons bears more scrutiny.
You see, it makes one wonder whether it was ever insured in previous years?
Six Piers Ltd weren't renowned for spending money, and what self respecting insurance company would agree to insure an irreplaceable listed structure, made of wood, with half a ton of explosives being ignited on its deck??
 ?{}? ?{}? ?{}?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1445 on: October 30, 2016, 07:33:10 am »
I wonder if the fireworks and operatives have already been contracted and paid? Is it possible that the new owners have changed insurers and it's they who are raising an objection?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1446 on: October 30, 2016, 08:04:59 am »
Ian, the new owners were already in place well before bonfire night last year and there is no evidence suggesting there was an insurance problem twelve months ago.

If the fireworks have already been purchased by the council then it would make sense to find an alternative site and make the best of it on Saturday.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1447 on: October 30, 2016, 09:55:50 am »
I would have thought it was impossibly short notice to re arrange a firework display at such short notice. Far too many issues from health and safety to the actual planning of the display. The pier is such a fabulous location it's going to be difficult to find another to match it.
Personally I'd like to see Llandudno's November 5th display cancelled permanently, just have one in Colwyn Bay ( which this year is likely to be more chaotic than usual due to the promenade works) and have the Llandudno display on New Year's Eve. I would have thought that would be a big boost for local tourism and after all, do we really need to blow so much cash by having two displays so close to each other in November?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1448 on: October 30, 2016, 12:18:16 pm »
Ian, the new owners were already in place well before bonfire night last year and there is no evidence suggesting there was an insurance problem twelve months ago.

If the fireworks have already been purchased by the council then it would make sense to find an alternative site and make the best of it on Saturday.

Exactly Bri. I'm sure that many of the hospitality trade would be glad of this. I know quite a few who are suffering because of cancellations, now that the news has hit the press.

I also remember when the display had to be cancelled because of bad weather and the fireworks were left uncovered, in place, thus grtting soaked.
 :-X

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1449 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:51 am »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1450 on: October 31, 2016, 02:27:29 pm »
Thanks Nem,  it's good.... it's just a shame that they got his name wrong, the month he died, and even the year he died wrong!!   &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1451 on: October 31, 2016, 06:25:36 pm »
There's always one !

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1452 on: November 01, 2016, 08:41:49 am »
Ergh, sorry about that. All been corrected now.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1453 on: November 01, 2016, 11:25:55 am »
Check out  Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #419
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1454 on: November 30, 2016, 03:29:13 pm »
Looks like an incident at Gregory's the Jewellers in Mostyn Street this afternoon. Police in attendance.

Lloyds Bank also closed "due to unforeseen circumstances"!!