Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 585521 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2011, 10:08:45 am »
Yet another scoop,. brought to you by our North American correspondent :-)))

$thanx$
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
BARCLAYS BANK TO CLOSE ITS BRANCH IN HIGH STREET, CONWY - last day for business Friday 9th September 2011

"Due to consistently declining customer usage"

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »
Yesterday I walked on to the theatre to buy a couple of tickets. As I usually do, I proffered my debit card to pay for them. That will be £2.50 handling charge said the cashier. Pardon, said I, this is a debit card, not a credit card. Still £2.50 she said. Luckily I had cash in my purse so paid with that. No extra charge.MY OH bought some tickets the same way, over the counter, in April and wasn't charged the fee.
 Can someone tell me what  Venue Cymru are playing at? I was there, she was there, so who was handling what ?  I could have understood the procedure if the sum had been less than £10, but it was well over double that. M&S don't do that, as don't other stores. CCBC strikes again, no wonder places aren't busy.
 :rage:If I had been a less polite mortal I would have told her where to stick her tickets. :rage:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2011, 02:17:48 pm »
Thats incredible  :o you should have charged them a handling charge to cover your time in going there!  Lots of places seem to do this over the phone and it should be illegal (if it isn't already !) 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:04 pm »
It's a growing trend, and one that needs to be resisted. Imposing extra charges for any sort of card payment in an age when cheques are being phased out isn't on, but the only way retailers will stop the process is through competition with places that don't impose it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »
There's really no justification for charging a handling fee on a debit card transaction, as it costs a flat fee of around 17p to process the transaction. Credit cards are a different story, they can be charged at up to 3% of the total transaction value for minor cards like Amex.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2011, 03:59:48 pm »
Yesterday I walked on to the theatre to buy a couple of tickets. As I usually do, I proffered my debit card to pay for them. That will be £2.50 handling charge said the cashier. Pardon, said I, this is a debit card, not a credit card. Still £2.50 she said. Luckily I had cash in my purse so paid with that. No extra charge.MY OH bought some tickets the same way, over the counter, in April and wasn't charged the fee.
 Can someone tell me what  Venue Cymru are playing at? I was there, she was there, so who was handling what ?  I could have understood the procedure if the sum had been less than £10, but it was well over double that. M&S don't do that, as don't other stores. CCBC strikes again, no wonder places aren't busy.
 :rage:If I had been a less polite mortal I would have told her where to stick her tickets. :rage:

Nemesis, if you use Venue Cymru on a regular basis have you considered purchasing a Premier Card for £25 per annum.

As well as no booking fees, we find we soon recoup the outlay with discounts on show tickets.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:44 pm »
Thanks Bri, but over the year my OH goes twice, both times to see Ken Dodd ( !) and I go once, usually to see PJ Proby. He isn't on this year-- Wonder why-- :roll:, so I am going to the Roy Orbison Tribute and also for a trip backstage!
If the seats were a little more comfortable, with a bit more knee room, especially for my OH who can't bend his knees far enough to have anywhere but a row end or front seat, we might go more often. As it is I usually can't straighten up the morning after a show !!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2011, 05:01:17 pm »
. . . . and I go once, usually to see PJ Proby. He isn't on this year-- Wonder why-- :roll

He's split has last pair of trousers!  Yet again!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »
. . . . and I go once, usually to see PJ Proby. He isn't on this year-- Wonder why-- :roll

He's split has last pair of trousers!  Yet again!    L0L

Venue Cymru were going to charge him a handling fee to have them repaired.  :laugh:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2011, 06:22:42 pm »
Oh Wow-- I'll get my needle and thread ready !! ;D
Don't think you can sew up a benefit fraud-- or can you ? ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2011, 12:31:21 am »
Ken Dodd ... not a benefit fraud but definitely a tax fraud, self confessed... and a tittifllarious one at that...

How tickled I was when I went to see him last year,  He came on stage at 7.40pm,  and the only (very short) interval was at 10.50pm.
I was in agony by then,

He finally left the stage (reluctantly) at 1.15am.

The man is genuinely a comic genius, but it doesn't half hurt to go and see him.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2011, 01:02:02 am »
The Benefit Fraud is in reference to PJ Proby.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:35 am »
PJ Proby... great singer, benefit fraudster perhaps?   
But like almost all great singers  (Matt Monroe, Elvis, Sinatra, Al Martino .)........DEAD !!!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:03 am »
The man is genuinely a comic genius

One of a very small group, most of whom are now gone. Norman Wisdom, Tommy Cooper, Bob Monkhouse, Eric Morecambe, possibly Jasper Carrot and Billy Connolly were all outstanding, but stand-up is an early burn-out profession.  That Dodd's still so good is testament to his genius.