Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 373705 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #540 on: February 14, 2015, 08:56:07 am »
Most contributors refer to sand dunes at West Shore.  I wonder how these came to be there if not by wind-blown sand. The dunes clearly predate any work by the "stupid council" whether in the 1980s or later.

That's a fair point but CCBC are their own worst enemies. They never - IME - explain their reasoning to anyone, hold far too many meetings in secret and treat the electorate, frankly, as ineducable and rather stupid children. We've offered on here to provide a topic for any member of CCBC and make them Moderators of that topic, so they could come on and inform people about why they're doing things in a safe environment but no; evidently they're terrified of opening up and using reasoned debate to explain their thinking.

Most people are not stupid. They'd listen to what the councillors said and possibly - just possibly - they might throw up a good idea or two. So why don't CCBC try it?  What is it they're always (apparently) trying to hide? They are, after all, the elected representatives of this borough yet with a very few exceptions that seems to slip their mind rather frequently.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2015, 11:04:53 am »
When I saw the photo of the former paddling pool and surrounding area on the West Shore, I couldn't believe the desecration of this area. Having been absent from Llandudno for c 11 years, it is an outrage that the council has allowed this site, plus that of the former Pen Morfa Hotel, to deteriorate beyond recognition.

The beginning of the end for the West Shore was when the council made the dreadful changes to the bay and placed the foreign sourced sand on the beach. I remember the West Shore back to the 1950s and 1960s when it was a beautiful place and we dug for cockles in the sands. The sand dunes were not "blown sand" as someone has suggested. These were a natural ancient sand area with vegetation, gorse bushes and sea shore type plants. They were quite substantial in height and area. You could walk along them as far as the Deganwy swimming pool I think. We used to sunbathe in them and I have photos taken in the 1950s which indicate what they were like then.

I cannot understand why The White Rabbit was allowed to be wrecked and decay for years. This was a lovely memorial with historic interest. I have a photo of an aunt of mine dressed as the Jack of Hearts with other local children in costume and Lloyd George opening this back in times gone by.

The council should hang their heads in shame. Who, or what, do they represent? It is not the interests of Llandudno for sure.

Helig.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #542 on: February 14, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »
Thanks Norman, nothing surprises me about the stupid antics of CCBC.   I told Cllr Priestly about that inane practise a few years ago but hey ho nothing changes.
By the way, can you remember playing in those WWII  lookout places that were on the sandhills just past where the old water board property is now?
              I seem to recall that there was also a shallow lake in the sandhills at the end of Trinity Avenue where we used to take the rafts that we had made out of old tin drums and planks where the model railway layout and Dwr Cymru pumping station is now, and also a small pond could be found in the waste ground where the Trinity Centre and the flats are now, between Trinity Avenue and St.Seiriol's Road, which couldn't be seen from the road.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #543 on: February 14, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »
Thanks Norman, nothing surprises me about the stupid antics of CCBC.   I told Cllr Priestly about that inane practise a few years ago but hey ho nothing changes.
By the way, can you remember playing in those WWII  lookout places that were on the sandhills just past where the old water board property is now?
              I seem to recall that there was also a shallow lake in the sandhills at the end of Trinity Avenue where we used to take the rafts that we had made out of old tin drums and planks where the model railway layout and Dwr Cymru pumping station is now, and also a small pond could be found in the waste ground where the Trinity Centre and the flats are now, between Trinity Avenue and St.Seiriol's Road, which couldn't be seen from the road.

I remember that lake too Gwynant.   It wasn't always there but seemed to appear whenever the sea breached the shingle, sandy area of the dunes where the old water board place is now.
I can't remember that small pond by the Trinity Centre though but I did see an O/S map in the Archives of 1889 and there was a river running down Maelgwyn Road and curving through the area where the Trinity Centre is and linking up with the ditch from Cwm Road
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:28:49 pm by Ian »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #544 on: February 14, 2015, 03:11:35 pm »
I,m sure your mam must have taken you to the west shore before the council messed it up ,WE want the sand on the beach not over the wall and the roads , you must be old enough to remember how good it was as my lads are younger than you and remember it .

To be honest, as a kid, I never took much interest in the Aeolian processes and coastal management...I made sand castles and paddled.

I once caught crabs, but that's another story.

Those people who are lucky enough to be living in the West Shore area have gone there because it is in a lovely location to live in with the sea , beach and those stunning views.
I've spoken to a number of people living there and I'm sure that they would also like to make sand castles on the beach, rather than in their front garden or in some cases in their attic

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #545 on: February 14, 2015, 05:04:52 pm »
I seem to recall that there was also a shallow lake in the sandhills at the end of Trinity Avenue where we used to take the rafts that we had made out of old tin drums and planks where the model railway layout and Dwr Cymru pumping station is now.

Is there more info on this model railway layout as I haven't heard of it before? The only model railway place I can remember was up the alley across from The Palladium.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #546 on: February 14, 2015, 05:31:02 pm »
The model railway is a newish venture, I have been past a few times, but have never seen it operational. Anyone know if it is finished?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #547 on: February 14, 2015, 07:47:45 pm »
It's still work in progress ,they are there at w/ends mostly ,they have had it open ,I reckon Easter time could be next open to have a ride on .

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #548 on: February 14, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »
             Re: the Model Railway, I think the term "Miniature Railway" would be more appropriate as it is similar to the railway that features annually in the Extravaganza in Mostyn Street, which carries passengers astride the rolling stock. I think that they were originally in the site on which the new school on Bodafon Fields, Craig-y-Don was built and they moved to West Shore and as Norman says they are there mainly at weekends. They have built a circuit and a siding all on raised breeze blocks as again as Norman says it is work in progress or unfinished business but they seem very dedicated to the end product.

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #549 on: February 15, 2015, 02:00:45 am »
I,m sure your mam must have taken you to the west shore before the council messed it up ,WE want the sand on the beach not over the wall and the roads , you must be old enough to remember how good it was as my lads are younger than you and remember it .

To be honest, as a kid, I never took much interest in the Aeolian processes and coastal management...I made sand castles and paddled.

I once caught crabs, but that's another story.

Those people who are lucky enough to be living in the West Shore area have gone there because it is in a lovely location to live in with the sea , beach and those stunning views.
I've spoken to a number of people living there and I'm sure that they would also like to make sand castles on the beach, rather than in their front garden or in some cases in their attic

When you play on the West Shore, you get sand in your underpants. You don't complain to the council, you take a shower.
If you didn't want a sandy bottom, you avoid playing near the West Shore, capish?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #550 on: February 15, 2015, 09:47:25 am »
There is an old saying that Wisdom comes with age but you seem very determined to be the exception.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #551 on: February 15, 2015, 09:58:35 am »
Nobody mentioned the sand ON THE BEACH ,it's the sand all over the place you know the stuff that the idiots put back over the wall ,above the water mark so it blows back over , your council tax pays for that oh yes they are putting that up again ,  we have all had fun on that beach .

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: February 15, 2015, 10:42:38 am »
I don't know enough about the coastal dynamics at W shore to  comment, really, except to say that the West Shore area is both exposed to the prevailing winds and the ongoing and dual threats of serious erosion and flooding. It's not a place we would buy a house for those reasons alone.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #553 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:23 am »
I'm no expert on coastal dynamics or the like either Ian, but I can only say what I've seen.  The promenade at West Shore was once a very desirable place to live with classy houses along the front.
Those houses are still there but if you have a close look at many they now look like they need some TLC .   I spoke to the owner of a nursing home there after his home had appeared in the paper and on TV and he had had 10 tons of sand removed from his front garden and there was over 2 inches of sand in the attic above the patients bedroom.
He sold that property and Anwyl has since built town houses on the site.
There is a problem with the weather on the West Shore, but it has been created by increasing the level of the beach and creating a ramp like structure for any wind blown sand to fly over the wall.

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #554 on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:50 pm »
I don't know enough about the coastal dynamics at W shore to  comment, really, except to say that the West Shore area is both exposed to the prevailing winds and the ongoing and dual threats of serious erosion and flooding. It's not a place we would buy a house for those reasons alone.

My point exactly Ian.
I guess some people find that difficult to grasp.