Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 374032 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:33 am »
I do like your photos, The Medz.  As you say, they weren't taken long after mine, probably only about 10 - 15 minutes, looking at the times on my other photos (somehow one photo of a sunset is never enough!).  The sunrise this morning looked a very pretty pink, from what I could see of it, so it must have been lovely where you are.

It always amazes me how quickly the sun seems to move when it's near the horizon (OK, I know that it's not actually moving but you all know what I mean).  I suppose that most of the time it's hard to judge its movement without a reference point but it does appear to speed up when it's rising and setting. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2012, 10:06:57 am »
It always amazes me how quickly the sun seems to move when it's near the horizon (OK, I know that it's not actually moving but you all know what I mean).

It is, though, and actually rather fast, although you can't tell. The Earth (and rest of the planets) describe a helical path through space so we're never, ever in the same position as - say, a week ago.  That's why time travel as depicted n the moves is almost certainly a none-starter.  It's an interesting thought that just lying in bed you're travelling at around 30,000 mph...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:19 am »
Yes Blodyn the sunrise on the last few mornings has been incredible. These were taken earlier on today.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
It always amazes me how quickly the sun seems to move when it's near the horizon (OK, I know that it's not actually moving but you all know what I mean).

It is, though, and actually rather fast, although you can't tell. The Earth (and rest of the planets) describe a helical path through space so we're never, ever in the same position as - say, a week ago.  That's why time travel as depicted n the moves is almost certainly a none-starter.  It's an interesting thought that just lying in bed you're travelling at around 30,000 mph...

Thank you for clarifying this Ian, 30,000mph while I'm in bed eh?
I had always put it down to 'room-spin', after indulging in the cocktails in the Fat Cat bar.  ZXZ
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2012, 10:34:31 pm »
Well, thanks for that erudite comment, Ian.  So while we're whizzing round the sun, the sun's doing its own bit of whizzing about too?  It's amazing isn't it?  (It seems pretty amazing to me, at any rate.)

That sunset was certainly beautiful, The Medz.  Even the sea's pink!  Thanks for the lovely photos. 

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2012, 10:50:12 pm »
that was sun rise blodyn, but still a great sight

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
You're quite right, Snowcap, I did mean sunRISE.  All that thinking about whizzing around at 30,000 mph obviously addled my brain! 

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:28 pm »
that is what happened to fester when he was looking at your frost photos, he,s seeing spots in front of his eyes

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »
It's a dangerous business clinging to the earth, isn't it! 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:17 am »
We noticed this bench the other day, I wonder how long it will remain in this condition once the sand blasting starts!

We then saw this large load heading up Marine Drive

Delivering roof beams here

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2012, 10:24:35 am »
What a mess this all is now :(

the sign shows the power of the sand blasting, also at the bottom the border of the blue paint shows how high the sand was when it was last painted!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »
Great Photos ME and they do show what a mess the West Shore is in.  The boating lake is worse than I've ever seen it but it would be pointless to drain the lake now as there is more sand still to come over the wall.
The place where they have deposited the sand also  means that the sand on the road will be  getting nearer to the Toll House!
That building plot is next door to Frank Tyldesley's old house house and there is a lot of coastal erosion taking place at the end of the plot.

Offline martin

« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »
That poor rabbit, we were looking at it yesterday, what a state it's in, bits missing all over the place, almost seems a shame to leave it on display, better restored and put somewhere out of reach of the vandals.  Hugo, you say the plot for that house is subject to coastal erosion, not sure I would want to build there. :o

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »
It might not go completely  in our lifetime Martin, but bit by bit it will.    Frank Tyldesley had a walkway going from his garden to the tower which apparently had a lift going down to the boathouse on the shore.
Nowaday there is no wooden walkway and the gap from the tower to the garden must be about 15 metres!
You probably know it anyway but when the Bishop's Palace was built in about 1294 the sea was a very long way from where the Palace was built, now that's what I call erosion

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #329 on: January 18, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »
The Bishop's Palace has always fascinated me.

Obviously there has been no trace of it for several hundred years, but given that it was built at almost the same time as Conwy Castle I can't help wondering what style it was built in.

It won;t have been a grand mansion, as it was about 300 years before such things were built.
Its also unlikely to have been crenellated, (castle battlements) because it shouldn't have needed defending.
If it had been crenallated, there would have been an application to King Edward I, to be allowed to do so.

No record of such an application exists.

So, just what DID a palace for a Bishop look like in the 13th Century?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -