Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 373909 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2011, 03:09:45 pm »
 I think they where placed behind the White Rabbit statue but have now been covered by the ever bigger sand dunes the council are building. WWW

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2011, 11:13:04 am »
Just come back from a short stroll at the West Shore--- the new picnic benches are next to the toilets, on the paved area. painted blue, they look very smart.
Same cannot be said for the lake and the White Rabbit.
Shame, as the area was quite busy, people were enjoying the sun, even a pond yacht in use on the lake, GOES or some other cavers were just setting off into the Orme via the Pen Morfa Adit, and there were dozens of people on the side of the Orme walking and scrambling up the zig-zag path. The playground was busy and people were playing football on the grass.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2011, 12:08:08 pm »
Just a shame the FOTWS group have not had the impact the FOC-Y-DP have had ,no wonder the cons have changed their soldiers.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2011, 11:54:06 am »
In The Guardian yesterday it reported that - "Ten beaches in England and Wales could be branded 'no swim zones' by the EU after failing Defra's pollution tests.

Blackpool Central and South
St Anne's north and Pier
Half Moon Bay, Heysham
Fleetwood
Walpole, Margate
Ilfracombe Capstone
Combe Martin
West Shore, Llandudno

Wonder what went wrong?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »
Only one beach out of 88 tested in Wales has failed to meet basic water quality standards this year.

Llandudno west shore was one of 10 beaches across Wales and England which did not meet minimum requirements for public health and the environment.

Dwr Cymru Welsh Water said the Llandudno sample was taken when heavy rain may have affected the result.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:10 pm »
If you think it's bad now then you should have tried swimming there in the 1960's.  If I remember correctly there were over 20 sewage outfalls going directly into the River Conwy.       :puke2:
Ignorance is bliss because it never stopped me from  enjoying swimming there although one of my friends may not have felt the same.    ???

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2011, 05:44:45 pm »
In the yet again glorious sunshine this afternoon we walked down to West Shore via Haulfre Gardens. The pathway from Haulfre down to the shore was absolutely packed with people just sitting on the benches and taking in the sunshine. I can't remember having seen more people on that route even in summer.

Once we got down onto West shore the White Rabbit was surrounded by visitors having their photograph taken next to it (they were stood on the sand in the pool around it but hey ho).

In the background  on the wall near the road were two young girls dressed as Alice (not sure what that was about but no I hadn't been drinking).

My most pleasant surprise of the walk was the "sandless" state of the Bike Path from West Shore and down towards Conway. I believe the whole length that we walked including up to the railway bridge just short of Deganwy  is now passable without dismount on a bike and was also being used by a lot of people, some of them with pushchairs and prams.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »
Despite all the sand on the grass it was lovely walking along the West Shore today.  It was bitterly cold day but at least it was dry and the sand was not blowing in my face.
The windsurfer was enjoying himself in the sea and travelling quite fast along the waves.
I walked along as far as the White Rabbit statue and was disappointed to see more damage to the statue than when I was last here. One ear and hand has gone from the Rabbit but the Frog has gone completely and there has been some damage to the face of the Squirrel.
I'm afraid that it will keep happening with the mindless yobs that continue to do the damage. What surprises me though is that there are no CCTV cameras about to cover the statue or the nearby toilets and childrens playground.   There is one by the paddling pool in Craig Y Don but not on the West Shore.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »
Just been reading about a hoo hah re. a fountain on the West shore.  It's easy put the rabbit in the lake and the fountain where the rabbit used to be. Sorted!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2011, 01:41:19 pm »
OMG I can just imagine a fountain on a day like this !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #220 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »
Better still, sink the rabbit in the depths of the ocean, fill the pool with concrete and voile - no more problems.
 :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:55 am »
Row over rival bids for statues in Llandudno boating lake
Dec 8 2011
North Wales Weekly News

TWO different organisations are vying to put an attraction in the middle of a boating lake and one of them has suggested there is room in it for both structures.

But the suggestion has been vetoed by voluntary group Friends of West Shore which has already obtained funding to move Llandudno’s world famous White Rabbit statue to the middle of the lake.

The Friends are angry that rival organisation Llandudno Civic Council, which is also made up of volunteers, is seeking funding to erect a fountain.

“I’m flabbergasted that the Civic Council should be doing this. Surely they must know about our plans to put the White Rabbit in the middle of the lake which are already well advanced.

“They should have consulted us before getting involved in looking for funding for their own project. To suggest there is room for two structures in the lake is ridiculous,” complained Friends chairman, Margaret Lyon.

But David Hampson, press officer for the Civic Council, which holds monthly meetings to discuss issues in the resort, said it would forge ahead with its negotiations to get funding for an illuminated fountain.

He said the council, whose members are unelected, had approached Welsh Water and alternative energy company npower renewables for their backing for their project.

They hope to get a share of a community package being offered by npower to towns on the North Wales coast to offset the impact of the massive Gwynt y Mor off shore wind farm which is now under construction.

“There us no reason why we can’t have both the White Rabbit statue and a fountain in the lake. I’m glad that the Friends of the West Shore have taken the initiative to move the statue to protect it from vandalism, and they have the full support of the Civic Council in that. Maybe we’ll have to split the lake in half,” he suggested.

But Margaret Lyon, who is also a county councillor for the Gogarth ward described this suggestion as unrealistic.
“What the Civic Council seems to have forgotten is that the boating lake is county council property and the council’s consent is needed to put anything in it.

“As far as I’m aware the Civic Council has not sought this, in contrast with the Friends who have gone through the proper channels, and will shortly be seeking planning permission to move the White Rabbit to the middle of the lake,” she stressed.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/12/08/row-over-rival-bids-for-statues-in-llandudno-boating-lake-55243-29912563/

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2011, 10:04:33 am »
I still can't see the point of putting the statue in the lake, when the lake  is drained vandals can still get to it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2011, 10:28:01 am »
I wouldn't chance it if the swans are there ME.  They can be quite defensive over their lake.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2011, 10:55:13 am »
The statue in the lake is a stupid idea, it's a small statue and will look ridiculous in the middle of a large boating lake.