Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370510 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: West Shore / Northshore beaches
« Reply #1320 on: June 09, 2022, 09:37:07 am »
THE Outline Business Case (OBC) for enhancements to coastal defences at Llandudno?s North Shore and West Shore have been given the green light by Welsh Government.

A Full Business Case (FBC), which will set out the economic, procurement and management arrangements, is now being prepared for the scheme, which is expected to benefit 5,307 properties, and which could see a sand beach return to North Shore.

A public consultation will take place later this year, with the OBC stating that, throughout previous consultation exercises with Llandudno residents and the Llandudno Coastal Forum (LCF), ?there was overwhelming support for the installation of a sand beach supported by timber groynes?.

A Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) spokesperson confirmed: ?The OBC has been approved by Welsh Government. We are now working on the detail needed for the FBC, advancing the concept designs for the options in the OBC.

?We will be working on ground investigations and holding a public consultation later this year.?

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20197370.outline-business-case-approved-improvements-llandudnos-north-west-shores/

Offline SteveH

Re: West Shore and North shore beaches
« Reply #1321 on: June 18, 2022, 09:38:12 am »
The North Wales resort that lost its main beach could finally see sand return
Llandudno has moved a step closer to securing funding to put sand back on its North Shore as part of coastal defences

Conwy council commissioned (engineering firm) AECOM to produce a first Beach Management Plan that would support the proposal to improve the town?s North and West Shores - with a range of options brought forward in a step to bidding for part of a ?150m Welsh Government fund for coastal risk management. The cheapest option is around ?7m but would leave the rocks in place while returning sand to the beach would cost around ?24m.

Conwy county borough council leaders backed the more expensive plan last year. Now the Outline Business Case has been approved by Welsh Government.

This does not guarantee sand will return but Conwy can now draw up a full business case to press for the funding. Ground investigations will start shortly and a public consultation take place later this year. While the sand option is more expensive a sandy beach would give the resort a major economic boost as it bounces back from the pandemic.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-resort-lost-main-24249413?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1322 on: July 22, 2022, 11:44:43 am »
From the Friends of Westshore FB pages...........

Hi, this is Philip Berrie , vice chair on behalf of us all. This is early notice of a probable outbreak of avian flu here on West Shore and seemingly centred on the boating lake.
It has been reported to DEFRA and the council who are currently formulating guidance, so for the moment just be aware and avoid any dead gulls or other birds. Thank you

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1323 on: August 14, 2022, 01:21:07 pm »
A gentleman who has been living under the stars at Westshore for some time, is continuing with his voluntary clean up service. a great asset to the area, below is his FB post from this morning..........his name is Daniel

Dog walkers please be aware that there are the remnants of a crate fire (with associated nails) on the dog friendly beach this morning. The remains are still too hot for me to dispose of, as I have no gloves. 06:30.
It is situated midway between the wall by the road, and harbour masters assistant, entrances to the beach.
Still too hot at 08:00, I melted one litter bag.
Edit: I have ringed it with stones for now and will inform the harbour masters assistant, later.
Edit two: harbour master assistant informed, he has liaised with the fire brigade, attending an incident at the other end of West shore. They will be along shortly, to dowse the fire, then just need to somehow clean up.
Anyone with a large magnet, or a gardener's riddle, to sift out the nails/tacks? I will clean up, just need equipment.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1324 on: August 15, 2022, 09:53:05 am »
Update on the fire mentioned above.....

A fire broke out at a popular North Wales beach. The blaze broke out in sand dunes at Llandudno's West Shore., yesterday.

North Wales Fire & Rescue Service were at the scene. The cause of the fire remains unknown at this stage.

Photos https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-fire-breaks-out-north-24755816

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1325 on: August 15, 2022, 06:51:06 pm »
Has anyone heard any more about the fire damage at the sandhills and what caused it?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1326 on: August 16, 2022, 10:03:38 am »
Has anyone heard any more about the fire damage at the sandhills and what caused it?

CREWS were called to three separate fires on West Shore in Llandudno yesterday (August 14).

Of these fires, two are believed to have been due to campfires left unattended.

The other, meanwhile is thought to have been started deliberately.

A North Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: ?At 8.25am, we attended a larger driftwood on fire in West Shore, Llandudno.
The cause is believed to be deliberate ignition.

?At 9.58am, we attended a fire involving 2sqm of wood pallets on West Shore, Llandudno.
?This is believed to be (due to) a camp fire left unattended.

?At 6.47pm, we attended a 100sqm grass and gorse fire on West Shore, Llandudno.
?The cause is believed to be a campfire left unattended.
?One crew attended and it was under control by 8.31pm.?

An eyewitness, Wendy McGee, added of one of the fires: ?It was very scary how fast it spread.

?Luckily, the wind changed direction ? otherwise, more damage would have been done.?   ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1327 on: August 16, 2022, 11:39:41 am »
Thanks for the update Steve,    I thought that it might have been something like that

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1328 on: August 27, 2022, 09:59:31 am »
TRIBUTES have been made to a Llandudno ?legend? who organised donkey rides on the West Shore beach following his death.

Phil Talbot, known affectionately as ?Phil the donkey man?, died aged 83 on August 19, following a battle with dementia.

He is survived by his sister Gwyneth, his sons Kevin and Garry and daughter Sonia, his eight grandchildren, and his eight great-grandchildren.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20775541.tributes-legend-arranged-donkey-rides-llandudnos-west-shore/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1329 on: September 03, 2022, 10:10:37 am »
DANGEROUS netting that poses harm to certain marine species has been removed from an area of the Dog Beach on Llandudno?s West Shore.

Gill netting, which can be dangerous for both marine animals and humans, was discovered by a ?very concerned? resident just below the first houses on Marine Drive after the cattle grid.

The unmarked gill fishing net are a length of very fine mesh, sometimes in excess of 30 metres, with a line of floats.

They are often laid out near the shore to catch fish, but are controversial with their use restricted to certain spots due to the potential harm to some species, such as porpoises.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20879806.indiscriminate-gill-netting-removed-west-shore/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1330 on: November 26, 2022, 10:53:22 am »
Coast watchers are locked in a row with their governing body over a drone. The volunteers - who cover the Llandudno's Great Orme, West Shore and Conwy Estuary, say the Cornwall-based National Coastwatch Institution (NCI) gave them the instruction not to use a drone and told them to sell it.

But the volunteers believe the ?1,300 aircraft is a useful tool to help keep people safe on sandbanks. They also say it isn?t their drone to sell as it was funded by donations.

Great Orme Station Manager John Humberstone https://www.google.com/search?q=john+humberstone+llandudno&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB813GB813&oq=John+Humberston&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l4.3505j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

was subsequently suspended by the organisation and other members have resigned and formed a new independent charity group.

Mr Humberstone, now part of the breakaway group called Coastwatch Wales, says the drone can help people stranded on sandbanks as it can play pre-recorded messages to them and even operate with lights at night.

Phil Styles, National Coastwatch Institution Board Secretary and Trustee, told North Wales Live: "Following a serious disregard of NCI rules / regulations, the NCI Great Orme Station Manager John Humberstone was suspended pending further investigation.

"During the investigation period Mr Humberstone decided to set up a separate lookout further down the coastline thus removing himself and some of his colleagues from the NCI organisation."

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/drone-row-sees-coast-watchers-25599034?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1331 on: November 26, 2022, 11:37:41 am »
I had a nice walk there yesterday.
Very bracing but clear.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1332 on: November 26, 2022, 11:51:38 am »
Steve: this isn't by any chance, the same John Humberstone as the hotelier who was interviewed by Alex Polizzi some years ago?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1333 on: November 26, 2022, 01:58:07 pm »
Steve: this isn't by any chance, the same John Humberstone as the hotelier who was interviewed by Alex Polizzi some years ago?

Ian, Oh YES IT IS  ............. John Humberstone https://www.google.com/search?q=john+humberstone+llandudno&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB813GB813&oq=John+Humberston&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l4.3505j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Alexandra Hotel, Llandudno: Church minister John Humberstone has been welcoming guests to the Grade-II listed Alexandra Hotel in Llandudno for the past couple of years, but the business is in deep trouble.
Alex Polizzi heads to north Wales to try to revive the establishment?s fortunes, but has her work cut out to transform its failing restaurant, bad reputation and negative reviews
Airdate: Saturday 4 December 2021 at 6.30pm on 7Two.
Season 10 Episode 4

'I wish you had slept on the beach': Hotelier posts a rather Basil Fawlty-esque reply to a TripAdvisor reviewer who compared him to John Cleese's famous character in a 1,000-word rant
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4650450/Hotel-guest-likens-owner-Basil-Fawlty-scathing-rant.html

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1334 on: November 26, 2022, 04:11:28 pm »
Ha. He does seem rather odd.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.