Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 373733 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1275 on: November 29, 2021, 03:11:22 pm »
Lovely piece of art work, by Sam Williams on Westshore beach, from FB

click to enlarge

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1276 on: November 29, 2021, 05:13:26 pm »
Thanks for posting that picture Steve it's nice to see talent like that        $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1277 on: December 22, 2021, 03:32:45 pm »
HowWest Shore has changed

In the 1920's the area used to flood quite frequently and I remember my mother saying that the water travelled down Gloddaeth Avenue and nearly met with the flood water from the North Shore.
The West Shore sea defence was not built until the early 1950's but since then or until 1993  the defence has not been breached

The first photo is of a painting of the original Penmorfa family home.    It was painted by Henry Liddell (the father of Alice in Wonderland )who arranged to have the house built
The second photo is how the Penmorfa Hotel looked shortly before it was vandalized by a building firm
I'm afraid that the latest design for the site by the developer Anwyl is not currently available          &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1278 on: December 22, 2021, 04:26:30 pm »
The ecological disaster caused by the 1993 sea defence is obvious to everyone (apart from the CCBC )

Why has nothing been done about this mistake, it's not going to go away but in fact will only get worse

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1279 on: December 22, 2021, 07:48:33 pm »
I'd heard there's a remake of Lawrence of Arabia in the offing. Maybe CCBC are in the running?

+}}{--
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1280 on: December 22, 2021, 10:40:46 pm »
Hugo how is it us locals no what the problem is, But those in power will just carry on wasting Our money, they have ruined our two beaches. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1281 on: December 23, 2021, 03:05:36 pm »
Your guess is as good as mine Norman, perhaps we need a Degree in stupidity to be on their wavelength.      Llandudno's two beaches have been ruined like you say and it seems that the CCBC have little enthusiasm to correct their mistakes, especially on the West Shore

Locals know best but does anyone listen?   No they don't and stupidity is not just confined to the CCBC.     I don't know if I have told you this before but when the Llandudno FC  ground was demolished to make way for the first Asda store my father was one of the bricklayers involved in the building.     Dad was given the plans to look at and immediately had words with the architect.    He advised him that they couldn't build walls that high without supporting pillars because that area is prone to westerly gales.   The architect dismissed Dad's argument and said that if Dad didn't want the work then he would get someone else to do it.      Anyway Dad did build the walls in accordance with the architects plans but on the first westerly gales the structure became unsafe and the wall had to be knocked down.
So the next time it was built with the supporting pillars but at least Dad was paid twice
Locals do know best     $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1282 on: January 11, 2022, 09:46:48 am »
THE MS for Aberconwy, Janet Finch-Saunders, has criticised the Welsh Government’s belief that “there is no clear link” to an immediate increase in flooding or erosion risk to the properties on West Shore Road, further to the damage to the sea wall in Llanfairfechan.

Further to her urgent intervention on the matter in December, Mrs Finch-Saunders has provided a copy of the reply to the local authority so that appropriate next steps can be reviewed.

At the time of the storm, work had already begun to fix the damage caused to the public right of way and sea wall by a previous storm on October 5, 2021, which left several properties along West Shore Road more vulnerable to flooding.

Commenting on the reply, Mrs Finch-Saunders said: “Having written to the minister for climate change, asking for collaboration with the minister for finance and local government to review whether a long-term and ringfenced contingency budget can be established so to financially assist local authorities when unexpected and long-term damage does occur, I was most disappointed to receive a reply that indicated that they will continue along the same reactive path.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19838098.aberconwy-ms-criticises-no-clear-link-assertion-sea-wall-damage-flooding/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1283 on: January 11, 2022, 10:02:18 am »
Steve,   the MS is on about the West Shore Road in Llanfairfechan but I just wish that she or anyone else would take up the issues with Llandudno's West Shore as it's just getting worse.
When will they ever learn?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1284 on: January 11, 2022, 10:17:17 am »
What caused mild amusement, here, was her comment that

I was most disappointed to receive a reply that indicated that they will continue along the same reactive path.

How else does any governmental organisation behave in the UK?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1285 on: January 11, 2022, 10:21:37 am »
Steve,   the MS is on about the West Shore Road in Llanfairfechan but I just wish that she or anyone else would take up the issues with Llandudno's West Shore as it's just getting worse.
When will they ever learn?

Thanks for that Hugo............... It was a case of wishful thinking on my part.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1286 on: January 11, 2022, 02:40:38 pm »
To make amends for the above................and as it is such a nice afternoon......click to enlarge

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1287 on: January 11, 2022, 03:22:45 pm »
It's been a lovely sunny afternoon and not too windy,    I hope that work on that cafe starts soon as the design on it looks great.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1288 on: January 11, 2022, 04:02:01 pm »
We were walking over the cob this morning looked over the rail line and a Hercules come over the wall I've never seen it that low when it got to westshore it would have been level with the cafe.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1289 on: January 12, 2022, 10:56:04 am »
I have mentioned garden fire smoke pollution in the West Shore area before, but there is a new problem which seems to be getting worse,

an obnoxious fishy smelling smoke, at intervals throughout the day, that fills the air, and in turn the house with a disgusting smell, last night I had to get up and close our windows, (which were only open half an inch), but the house stank.   $angry$

Anyone else noticed this?            PS. it is not electrical