Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 216649 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #600 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »
Maybe we will get a music act whose best days weren't twenty+ years ago at some point?

Someone like Bill Hayley and his Comets from 60 years ago, maybe?  Or even the Rolling Stones!    Dolly Parton goes down a bomb, so they say!   But I know what you mean.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #601 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
Maybe we will get a music act whose best days weren't twenty+ years ago at some point?

_))* _))*

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #602 on: July 14, 2014, 07:46:45 pm »
As much as I enjoyed seeing Robert Plant in the early 80s and also in that band when they supported Chas and Dave at Knebworth(or was it the other way round!!!) I have made an executive decision not to attend as I do not want to be disapointed like when I saw Greg Lake at Venue Cymru.

Friends see various tribute acts linked to Pink Floyd but I always refuse to go as I want to remember the original Animals show I saw back in the 70s.

I know I am getting old but I have bought the last offerings by Dream Theater and California Breed and would consider travelling to see them and maybe one or two others but in general I would not open the curtains to most acts even if they were on the back lawn! 8) :-X 

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #603 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:58 pm »
As much as I enjoyed seeing Robert Plant in the early 80s and also in that band when they supported Chas and Dave at Knebworth(or was it the other way round!!!) I have made an executive decision not to attend as I do not want to be disapointed like when I saw Greg Lake at Venue Cymru.

Friends see various tribute acts linked to Pink Floyd but I always refuse to go as I want to remember the original Animals show I saw back in the 70s.

I know I am getting old but I have bought the last offerings by Dream Theater and California Breed and would consider travelling to see them and maybe one or two others but in general I would not open the curtains to most acts even if they were on the back lawn! 8) :-X 

In fairness to Greg Lake, I thought he & his band were great when they played Venue Cymru, it was the terrible attendance figure that was disappointing because of a lack of promotion.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #604 on: July 14, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »

We also saw Pink Floyd years ago, but do give Brit Floyd a try, they are excellent, we have seen them twice in Venue Cymru and they were superb, back again later in the year! You can see them on YouTube!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #605 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30:19 am »
I've seen far too many Pink Floyd tribute bands, never the real thing though. The Australian are by far the best I've seen but the local band Pinc Ffloyd are actually very good too

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #606 on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:40 am »
Not the Arena but a brilliant nite with Jools Holland and guests,full house and brilliant.Back to the Arena ,after Robert Plant and UB40 its gone quiet,prove to us this is not a one off and keep the Arena going,please.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #607 on: August 03, 2014, 08:03:06 am »
I think we labour under the misapprehension that VC doesn’t really do a lot.  In fact, I’ve spoken to someone in CCBC to get some facts and figures, and the VC Arena is hired 1 day out of every three. Okay - that means it’s empty for two-thirds of the year, but as venues go, that’s actually not that bad. A lot of the bookings are for conferences, which obviously won’t be widely known outside of the conference circuit, but that also means a lot of business for the hotels and shops. And that’s on top of all the use the Theatre, restaurant and meeting rooms get which means that the building is open almost every day.

In terms of gigs, it seems VC faces a raft of problems. Apparently, many of the big-name tour promoters actually own the venues in which the acts perform (or have deals with venue chains), which means that not only do they benefit directly from the ticket income but they also get the benefit from the bar takings. Naturally, the promoters are going to favour their own places first, and try to get what they can from smaller places - which could well mean unrealistically high ticket prices.

The VC management work with a remit that places restrictions on what they can do and how they do it, but it boils down to getting the best value for the taxpayer out of the place, which means hosting as many events as possible. One thing that did interest me was that as with the majority of venues, attendance for the International Concert series has declined year on year, which means Damocles is hanging perilously close in terms of orchestral shows.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #608 on: August 03, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »
Oh well lets all believe what comes out of the management shall we.

Offline C_jones

« Reply #609 on: August 03, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »
I have a friend who works  at VC. I was in his flat i had a look at a VC rota. I was surprised to see the arena was only empty for about 6 or 7 days of month and this was the odd day between a number of conferences, and i guess they need those days to switch and set up etc. So i for one will agree, although we don't see a list of whats actually going on in the arena there is a lot in there! Why should be venue publish a list of private bookings? And I'm sure a conference or event brings in a lot more money than a gig would.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #610 on: August 04, 2014, 01:41:49 am »
I'm sorry Ian, C Jones etc.... but within that supposed list of VC Arena bookings, there are many 'events' such as table-top sales, charity events,  poorly attended trade-shows.......  none of which bring any revenue enhancing opportunities for a major seaside town.

When major acts such as Simple Minds etc, come to town the pubs, eateries and hotels are VERY BUSY for the day before and after the event.

I'm afraid that the detail does not stand up to scrutiny, and the quality of events is a little 'thin', partly for the reasons that Ian mentioned.

In any case... as an economic entity, the accounts show that it is NOT VIABLE.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline C_jones

« Reply #611 on: August 04, 2014, 01:54:54 am »
Conferences with upto 1000 people attended for more than one day on a row. 90% stopping in local hotels and eating out. And a private company paying to book the arena.

Or

A production company putting on a gig, Taking 90% of the ticket sales and pretty much getting the venue for nothing, and attended by mostly locals who drive home and will eat before the come out.

I spent 4 years working in the Hilton Manchester doing conferences. These are facts. Conferences and events make more money for the venue than any gig. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #612 on: August 04, 2014, 08:04:46 am »
C jones believe me walk past their and you will see ,they are 10/20 people in the rooms small company seminars , oh we had dickinsons real deal last week ,as fester says the place is running at a loss, you say you worked in Manchester bit different from here wouldn't,t you agree.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: August 04, 2014, 08:12:28 am »
What would your solution be then, Norman?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #614 on: August 04, 2014, 10:18:15 am »
Easy Ian get someone in there to run the place properly ,every time Wrex bangs on about getting gigs in there he gets shot down ,it would make a loss ,flipping place is running at a loss now ,it's been mentioned about a cinema type ( you know somewhere for visitors to go when wet )and locals ,  only needs a little thought ,plenty of bands out there when was the last time person in charge of getting things in there stepped out of wales to look what can be done .