Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 145236 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2016, 12:46:36 pm »
"The fastest growing petition ever"
Petition
EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

3,065,391 signatures

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

It has now gone up to  3,159,446

Offline Hugo

« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2016, 12:59:13 pm »

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »
More referendum deceit......

National embarrassment, humiliating, sickening, there can't be many unused adjectives to describe the mess we are in......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36633238

For the first time ever since the creation of the earth, I heard Nicola Sturgeon say something useful, in that she suggests that the SNP and Scottish Parliament could veto the UK exit of the EU.... clutching at straws springs to mind, but at this time, any glimmer of hope helps. I'm certain that the NI parties will back her as well.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2016, 03:06:40 pm »
Breakdown of the voting patterns by multiple factors:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2016, 06:18:01 pm »
According to the BBC News  ten members of the shadow cabinet have now resigned,           Jeremy Corbyn is the greatest asset the Tory party has ever had and if he remains as leader of the Labour party then the Tory government, as bad as it is,  will continue in power for many years to come.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2016, 06:43:12 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2016, 07:28:34 pm »
This is fascinating:

http://keithharris.org/petition/

I thought Orville was taking the ****       ;)     but it appears to be genuine, as you say fascinating, I estimate 1000 votes every 2mins.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2016, 08:07:30 pm »
It's not really fascinating, it has zero chance of success.
Apart from (apparently) there being more than 30,000 names from The Vatican, i.e. loads of fictitious names,  it is calling for retrospective legislation.
You can't change the rules of the original referendum.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »
Ironically, it was set up by a LEAVE campaigner a month ago when it looked like REMAIN were going to win!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fears-new-brexit-vote-petition-8286529
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2016, 07:28:31 am »
Yes - the only difference it's likely to make is to turn the pressure up on the Tories.  I imagine the Remain camp wanted there to be a significant majority either way but were almost certainly shouted down by the Leave people.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2016, 08:09:08 am »
Osborne says that UK is in a position of strength.           ???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36637732

Will the tax avoiding Osborne be the next Tory to go?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:07 am »
Yes - the only difference it's likely to make is to turn the pressure up on the Tories. 
I can't see how an online petition where anyone can vote as often as they like by making up new email addresses is remotely worth taking notice of?  8)

Speaking of Corbyn...I don't remotely agree with his politics, but I think he's a decent and honourable man who is being treated shamefully at present by members of his own party.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2016, 08:45:04 am »
For the first time ever since the creation of the earth, I heard Nicola Sturgeon say something useful, in that she suggests that the SNP and Scottish Parliament could veto the UK exit of the EU.... clutching at straws springs to mind, but at this time, any glimmer of hope helps. I'm certain that the NI parties will back her as well.
Unfortunately, she is completely deluded. She was talking on Andrew Marr yesterday about Scotland remaining a member of the EU. She apparently isn't aware that Scotland isn't a member of the EU at present, only the United Kingdom is.

Apparently, it's a complex web of Scottish legislation that might allow her to scupper Brexit. I have no idea of the legal intricacies involved, though.

Edit: sorry, Dave;  no idea how I've just done that :-))  It ought to have been a new post
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:02:17 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2016, 08:58:47 am »
Yes - the only difference it's likely to make is to turn the pressure up on the Tories. 
I can't see how an online petition where anyone can vote as often as they like by making up new email addresses is remotely worth taking notice of?  8)

Speaking of Corbyn...I don't remotely agree with his politics, but I think he's a decent and honourable man who is being treated shamefully at present by members of his own party.

The online petition in question requires an active email address and you have to verify that by clicking on a link in an email they send you.

On the matter of Corbyn, I would argue it's the other way around. But no doubt we shall see in due course. After his sterling performance in the Scottish Parliament elections one wonders what the UK result might be.  And I suspect a general election isn't that far off.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2016, 09:32:29 am »
The online petition in question requires an active email address and you have to verify that by clicking on a link in an email they send you.
Anyone can set up 20 or 30 email addresses in an hour if they want to, even if they have to verify the address to activate it.