Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 145185 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:38 pm »
I voted Remain, leaning towards the economic rather than the immigration aspect, although it was on my mind especially with the prospect of Turkey (pop. 80 million) joining, now we are out, and assuming in time we will sort out the economics, I am now thinking in terms of immigration, and I am concerned about future decisions that will be made regarding "free movement" which in effect could nullify todays  "Leave" vote.

Quote from previous post.......
"As an EEA member, we do not participate in decision-making in Brussels, but we loyally abide by Brussels’ decisions. We have incorporated approximately three-quarters of all EU legislative acts into Norwegian legislation – and counting. We have legally secured access to the single market, and we practise the free movement of people,"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/27/norway-eu-reality-uk-voters-seduced-by-norwegian-model

This quote from BBC article today........
"It is possible that the UK will accept the continuation of free movement in order to retain preferential access to the single market, in which case we will continue to be able to travel freely in the EU."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36619817

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »
MPs submit Corbyn no confidence motion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36621777

Why has it taken so long?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »
I voted Remain, leaning towards the economic rather than the immigration aspect, although it was on my mind especially with the prospect of Turkey (pop. 80 million) joining, now we are out, and assuming in time we will sort out the economics, I am now thinking in terms of immigration, and I am concerned about future decisions that will be made regarding "free movement" which in effect could nullify todays  "Leave" vote.

"As an EEA member, we do not participate in decision-making in Brussels, but we loyally abide by Brussels’ decisions. We have incorporated approximately three-quarters of all EU legislative acts into Norwegian legislation – and counting. We have legally secured access to the single market, and we practise the free movement of people,"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/27/norway-eu-reality-uk-voters-seduced-by-norwegian-model

"It is possible that the UK will accept the continuation of free movement in order to retain preferential access to the single market, in which case we will continue to be able to travel freely in the EU."

What a farce - so if they accept the continuation of free movement then the main reason most people voted OUT is obsolete.  $good$

Well played nit wits, well played

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2016, 02:23:11 pm »

What a farce - so if they accept the continuation of free movement then the main reason most people voted OUT is obsolete.  $good$

Well played nit wits, well played

This was fully explained by the Remain side but the Leavers chose not to listen.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2016, 03:19:43 pm »
From the BBC News just now.

Drivers could face higher petrol and diesel prices as a result of the vote to leave the EU, retailers suggest.
Brian Madderson, chairman of the Petrol Retailers Association, said that a rise of 2p-3p a litre was on the cards.
He said the plunge in the value of the pound against the dollar would have an immediate impact, as wholesale fuel prices are quoted in dollars.
The rises were likely to be implemented on forecourts next week, he said.

So, nice work everybody!
That simply pushes more cost into the supply chain too, higher prices for everything on the way!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2016, 04:15:41 pm »
Sources within Morgan Stanley say it has already begun the process of moving about 2,000 of its London-based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt. And it has a taskforce in place.
The jobs which would be moved from the UK would be in euro clearing but also other investment banking functions and senior management.
The American investment bank needs to avail of the passporting system which allows banks to offer financial services in all countries in the EU without having to establish a permanent base in that member state.
The president of Morgan Stanley, Colm Kelleher, told Bloomberg two days ago that Brexit would be “the most consequential thing that we’ve ever seen since the war”.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2016, 04:20:13 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is not a definitive statement, it is nothing more than speculation.    It may not happen but if it does then you can say you were correct all along

Offline Hugo

« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2016, 08:21:57 am »
Rhuddlan passed this e-mail on to me this morning so I'm posting it on here in case anyone is interested

Petition
EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2016, 10:44:14 am »
Rhuddlan passed this e-mail on to me this morning so I'm posting it on here in case anyone is interested

Petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Does anyone know if that is genuine????
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2016, 11:01:05 am »
It's genuine, but I'm not entirely clear what it's saying. Do they want the government to retrospectively introduce such as rule? That's pretty unlikely, but the petition has garnered around half a million signatures since breakfast time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2016, 11:27:59 am »
I think it's calling for a second referendum with new criteria so there is a clear decision rather than this last one where I pointed out only 37% of the electorate had actually voted to leave. This second one would call for a larger amount which I must be honest seems fairer seeing as it's such an important change to the country. Doubt it will succeed though, sadly.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2016, 11:45:16 am »
Over one million now........
1,141,077 Signatures

Parliament will consider this for a debate
Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate

Offline SteveH

« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is not a definitive statement, it is nothing more than speculation.    It may not happen but if it does then you can say you were correct all along

Hugo, I would rather be wrong, than saying "I told you so" but I genuinely think this could happen, a lot of what I am reading today is hinting at this subject, as I mentioned above  " I am concerned about future decisions that will be made regarding "free movement" which in effect could nullify todays  "Leave" vote."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36575186
"The Remain camp said full access to the EU single market - the world's biggest free trade area with 500 million consumers - was crucial for the UK. But free movement of workers, payments into the EU budget and acceptance of the EU rulebook are conditions for that access.
The EU is unlikely to bend on those conditions, because it does not want more members to leave the club. The UK might well sign up to those conditions, but it would not be able to influence EU rules, as it would lack a vote."

Reading the BBC online news today is depressing......I can not find one good bit of news about this choice  $angry$   $angry$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2016, 12:32:49 pm »
Valar Morghulis

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »
Valar Morghulis