Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 145161 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:09 am »
Well, it's settled. A 4% margin in favour of leave, apparently by mainly older voters, a dramatic drop in the Pound against the dollar (great for anyone planning a trip there in the next few months) and the B of E marshalling its contingency plans for a rapid interest rate rise. What'll happen when the markets open is anyone's guess but we're sailing into uncharted waters, now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2016, 08:04:57 am »
The public have had their say, that's democracy, so when the dust settles we have just got to get on with it.   

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2016, 08:39:10 am »
The markets opened Ian, and this is what happened... $fan$ $fan$ $fan$ $fan$ $eu
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2016, 08:45:19 am »
A great result for democracy, I feel, as voters (both Labour & Conservative) ignored their political masters and big business. Jeremy Corbyn didn't exactly sound disappointed about the result this morning when interviewed on Radio 4...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2016, 09:25:00 am »
I rather think that a large amount of those voting LEAVE did so because they are disillusioned with political parties, and they dislike 'Johnny Foreigner'
I base this on what my customers tell me day in, day out.
I think this will be a very expensive exercise in misguided 'nationalism'
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2016, 09:34:49 am »
The public have had their say, that's democracy, so when the dust settles we have just got to get on with it.   

MOST of the public have but because 28% couldn't be bothered to vote we end up with 37% of the electorate deciding our future. That means 63% didn't vote for this outcome, just like the last general election ironically!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44:47 am »
Within an hour of Brexit, Farage admitted on national television that there won't be an extra £350m for the NHS.....   he said "It was a mistake......"
..........after 17.5 million people voted.

Why didn't he say that before? How many people decided their vote on that oft repeated statement? I can guarantee that there will be more lies exposed in the coming days, but it's too late now.

How many of those Leave votes were simply protest votes, by people who will slowly wake up and emerge into reality over the coming weeks and regret their error.

And in this referendum, Jeremy Corbyn has been able to categorically prove to even his most devoted disciples that he is an utterly abysmal and ineffectual leader of the Labour Party, certainly not in anyway fit to lead an Opposition..... thus creating even more problems for the country.

This signals the beginning of the break-up of the UK and as for the comment 'we have just got to get on with it', I'm aghast. Most sensible people see the possible outcomes of their actions and act accordingly to prevent problems, yesterday, protest votes and a lack of common sense tipped this country into the mire. And it won't be those that did that who will be struggling to get us, and generations to come, out of the problem.   

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:50 am »

This signals the beginning of the break-up of the UK and as for the comment 'we have just got to get on with it', I'm aghast. Most sensible people see the possible outcomes of their actions and act accordingly to prevent problems, yesterday, protest votes and a lack of common sense tipped this country into the mire. And it won't be those that did that who will be struggling to get us, and generations to come, out of the problem.   

Why are you aghast?   It's happened and we have no alternative now other than to do the best we can for the UK.     It's a democracy and everyone is entitled to their opinion, perhaps the majority do not have the benefit of your common sense and experience.
The old saying if something is working don't fix it, is common sense,  whereas if it is not working and you are not allowed to fix it shows a lack of common sense.
Cameron gave  us the referendum so if anyone is to blame then it must be him and his Tory friends who are not so smug anymore.
I voted to remain in but it's a democracy and I'll abide by the decision made.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2016, 10:19:25 am »
Maybe Mr Corbyn should not be held solely to blame.  In Wales, Mr Carwyn Jones and Ms Wood were leaders of the "In" campaign; he seems to have held on to Islington whereas they did not in Bridgend and RCT respectively.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2016, 10:32:14 am »
I rather think that a large amount of those voting LEAVE did so because they are disillusioned with political parties, and they dislike 'Johnny Foreigner' I think this will be a very expensive exercise in misguided 'nationalism'

That seems to be the case.  We're living in an era which is becoming significantly anti-politics. But more worryingly, few institutions permit such a relatively small margin in any major vote to bring about such a sweeping change. The most immediate effect, however, will be for anyone who buys fuel.  As oil is priced in dollars, expect immediate rises at the pumps...

Wonder what the leave campaigners will blame that on?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2016, 11:18:12 am »
On the BBC I watched an interview with 6 (youngish) voters,  3 from Leave, 3 from Remain.
The Leave 'winners' were strangely sombre in mood, and two said that they didn't expect their vote to count, and were upset by the outcome!  WTF??
Fester...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2016, 11:26:07 am »
Maybe Mr Corbyn should not be held solely to blame.  In Wales, Mr Carwyn Jones and Ms Wood were leaders of the "In" campaign; he seems to have held on to Islington whereas they did not in Bridgend and RCT respectively.

Unfortunately Cambrian, whereas Jeremy Corbyn has been happy to share a platform with terrorists, notably the IRA and Hammas, he refused to share a platform with other party leaders in this referendum to show a united opposition to the 'leave' campaign, despite 80% of Labour MP's backing 'Remain'. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:07 pm »

Unfortunately Cambrian, whereas Jeremy Corbyn has been happy to share a platform with terrorists, notably the IRA and Hammas, he refused to share a platform with other party leaders in this referendum to show a united opposition to the 'leave' campaign, despite 80% of Labour MP's backing 'Remain'.

By your 'standards' the Queen is also happy to share a platform with terrorists?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2016, 12:37:38 pm »
On the BBC I watched an interview with 6 (youngish) voters,  3 from Leave, 3 from Remain.
The Leave 'winners' were strangely sombre in mood, and two said that they didn't expect their vote to count, and were upset by the outcome!  WTF??

I said it before when it's a 'protest' vote to get Rage against the machine to number 1 instead of X factor it's all good fun. This is a protest of chopping off our heads because we aren't happy with our haircut  >>>

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »

By your 'standards' the Queen is also happy to share a platform with terrorists?

In your photograph, I don't actually see the Queen promoting the IRA's core values and ideals, as Corbyn did with both the IRA and Hammas.