Author Topic: Walking  (Read 842588 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1710 on: April 20, 2016, 11:14:30 am »
I can't quite make the location out but is it the incline by Angel Bay?     That friend of your who took the photo looks like they have very long legs                 ;D

Offline hollins

« Reply #1711 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:25 am »
Yes, it is that steep incline with the grey swing gate at the top. Yes, he is quite tall and I think that must be me toiling up way behind somewhere!

Offline Dave

« Reply #1712 on: April 21, 2016, 07:26:08 pm »
The slope has a strange effect on your lower limbs, I did that walk yesterday and my legs turned to jelly by the time I reached the top!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1713 on: April 27, 2016, 05:33:40 pm »
It's not the kind of image you would associate with one of Wales’ most prominent beauty spots but this is the state of the café entrance on Snowdon which led to wardens collecting more than a dozen bags of rubbish.

The volunteers working at the famous site said they were disgusted by the mess left behind by visitors at the cafe based at the summit building on Snowdon, Hafod Eryri.

The area was left strewn with glass beer bottles, concrete bricks and plastic water bottles.

Volunteer warden Tabitha Angle-Smith, who described the site as a “disgusting mess” said she and another volunteer cleared up the rubbish, filling 15 bags.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/just-rubbish-left-strewn-outside-11251360

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1714 on: May 08, 2016, 11:35:29 am »
Yesterday I met my friends in Dolgarrog and we were going to do the Ardda walk that we last did in 2014.   We were going to do it the easy way, leaving one car in Dolgarrog and taking the other up to the Ardda for the start of the walk.    At the Ardda we got our gear out of Tellytubby's car and set off on the walk but we had only walked about 100 yards when I realized that there may be a problem when we got to my car in Dolgarrog.   I had left my trainers in Tellytubby's car and had to go back for them as I didn't fancy driving up the steep and narrow lane in my size 11 walking boots!
Anyway with a pair of trainers sticking out of my rucsack we set off on the walk.  On a good clear day the views from this elevated location are breathtaking but yesterday a haze hung over the mountains and the Conwy Valley so visibility was poor.    It wasn't far to Ardda Chapel, this little chapel was built in 1845 and today is a ruin surrounded by a small graveyard. I had a look at the headstones which were all inscribed in Welsh and one particular one stood out as the boy died at the age of just four months.   
We carried on following the leet and across the valley we took a path that was to take us under the pipeline to Dolgarrog.  We had hoped that the Bluebells would have been out but although there were signs of them there, we were probably about two weeks too early to see them out and in their masses.   At the pipeline we stopped and had our drinks and food before continuing along the path, turning right before the Coedty reservoir and crossing the river.  The public footpath took us down a steep slope towards Dolgarrog and we followed the path alongside the river and had a good view of Surf Snowdonia from the path.  When we got to the bottom of the path we got into my car to go back to Ardda and pick up Tellytubby's car there.    We finished up with a nice coffee in Surf Snowdonia and it was good to see so many people there enjoying themselves

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1715 on: May 08, 2016, 11:37:55 am »
Ardda walk

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1716 on: May 08, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »
Great photo's Hugo. We enjoyed a few hours at Easter in Surf Snowdonia with the Grandchildren and they were thrilled with watching the surfers, the meal was really good too. I'm so pleased it is so successful after the bumpy start.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1717 on: May 08, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »
Thanks Meleri,   I'm pleased that you had a good time at the Surf Snowdonia.     I must admit that I had reservations about the place before it was even built,  but it is much better than I ever expected it to be.
We  had really nice coffees there on Saturday but everything looked good and all the people seemed to be enjoying themselves which is good for the centre and the local area.         $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1718 on: May 10, 2016, 06:56:52 pm »
Britain's largest gold nugget found off Anglesey coast

I'll have to remember to pack a shovel in my rucsack next time I do the Moelfre walk.        ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-36259787

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1719 on: May 13, 2016, 11:28:17 am »
Yesterday was a lovely  warm sunny day and we were able to enjoy it by having a walk in the beautiful Crafnant valley and then on to  Llyn Geirionydd.  It's an easy circular walk of about 5 miles and one that many people will be familiar with.
We started the walk at the Llyn Crafnant car park and walked along the northern side of the lake and returned on the other side until we came to the old ruined Chapel and phone box.   We then took the forest path which climbed uphill and over the shoulder of Mynydd Deulyn and then descended on a winding forest track to Llyn Geirionydd.   By then we had built up an appetite so we had our refreshments in the picnic area by the lake, after about half an hour it was time to move on so we continued along the lane until the end of Llyn Geirionydd and then followed the path past Taliesin's monument and an old mine until we arrived back at the car park.
We stopped at Surf Snowdonia on the way home to have a nice coffee and watch the surfers doing their stuff.     It is always an enjoyable walk to do but yesterday we had the perfect weather to do it in.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1720 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:37 am »
Llyn Crafnant and Llyn Geirionydd walk

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1721 on: May 13, 2016, 12:12:45 pm »
Thank you Hugo, I have not seen the old house for over 15years (sixth photo down) that is Tal Y Llyn farm with Ty Ucha above, hope you do not mind but I have copied your photos into my picture folder ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1722 on: May 13, 2016, 01:54:37 pm »
You are welcome Steve.    I took the photo of the property for you as it seemed to be where you described it in a previous posting.    When I went camping by the lake in the early 1970's we spoke to a gentleman there and you mentioned his name but I've forgotten it now.   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1723 on: May 13, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »
Yes that would have been Arthur who shared the farm with his aunt Laura, now she was a character, a lovely lady, you could write a book about her.....Thanks again.

Offline Jack

« Reply #1724 on: May 13, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
Great photos Hugo  $good$

I noticed when I was up at Geirionydd a couple of weeks ago that they have started to 'clear fell' the trees on the opposite side of the lake to the road. It was striking how different it looked without the trees.