Author Topic: Walking  (Read 842413 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1515 on: April 10, 2015, 01:14:31 pm »
                     Hollins, sadly I am not fluent but I understand a bit, but between Mrs.Gwynant and I we came up with:-
          "Do you want your old windows painting,
           Your house,school,shop or vestry,
           Or name for your Pub or Hotel,
           A pretty new whipping (chwip?) sign,
           Or your company name on your van,
           Phone Idris, he's your man."
           It seemed so odd to see this sign on a slate fence post way up on a mountain path miles from anywhere but especially from where Idris the Painter lives in Morfa Bychan, Ynys Mon. He's obviously taken a lot of trouble to do and the words and rhyme are by a Twm Morris.               

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1516 on: April 10, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »
We also enjoyed a walk in Cwmorthin this week.   Four of us started from the car park nearest the Cwm but before we started Rhuddlan produced a hip flask and we toasted the arrival of his Grandson Dylan with a 10 year old Sloe Gin which he had made and we all agreed that it was the best we had ever tasted.   Our walk today was a four mile linear walk through Cwmorthin and up to Rhosydd Quarry so suitably refreshed we ambled up the track until we came to Llyn Cwmorthin and it was absolutely breathtaking in it's beauty.   The lake was just like a mirror with no ripples on it apart from when the solitary Canada Goose turned upside down in the lake!   The reflections of the mountains in the lake only added to the scene.
We followed the track on the western side of the lake and it was very muddy and in a bad state of repair but the track had been used by vehicles recently and that accounted for the state of it.  Just as we were moaning about the condition of the track a pick up came past and bumped up and down the uneven road and we later found it stuck in the mud and unable to move forwards or backwards and despite our considerable efforts and weight we could not budge it so we had to leave the builders to phone for their recovery truck to come and help them get out of the mess.    A little further on was the Chapel and we let the builder there know about the problem.  Apparently they are doing a Cwmorthin Project to make the buildings safer and more secure for the future.   As we were leaving the two builders from the now abandoned truck were making their way to the Chapel, the younger one carrying a bag of cement and the older one, a newspaper!
We continued on past the ruins of the old stables and barracks and made our way up the steep slope to Rhosydd Quarry where we had our refreshments by the slate archway.    After that, we continued on the tramway until we could see Croesor and Cnicht and then we returned back down the steep track but at the bottom of the track we went to the ruins of a large detached house  This would have been the manager’s house and was built in the 1860’s. The manager lived in luxury compared to his workers, and had four rooms on every floor.  We decided then to continue along the other side of the lake and stopped to look at the oldest property in the Cwm which was built in the 1500's but apparently the archaeologists have said that there was a building there 800 years prior to this one. Carrying along we came to the pile of slate waste and we saw the mine entrance that I posted in the quiz earlier. It wasn't far then to our cars so we said goodbye to Uncle Albert who was going home in the direction of Portmadog and Rhuddlan, Tellytubby and myself headed for Blaenau and a nice cold drink in the cafe by the station

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1517 on: April 10, 2015, 02:55:15 pm »
Cwmorthin

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1518 on: April 10, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »
Hugo, is Tellytubby's dad called Geoff by any chance?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1519 on: April 10, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »
     Nice pics Hugo, it certainly is a beautiful area. We noticed the fresh wheel tracks in the lane on the way up to the chapel but there was nobody working there yesterday, just the cement bags and the "Daily Star"! They have got a lot of work to do there.
     Was the entrance to the mine you posted as a question at lake level near the buildings behind the boathouse or higher up? We walked up to the higher levels but didn't see any sign of any activity up there.
     As i mentioned in my last post it featured in "Coast and Country" on ITV Wales last week (available on I-Player), and it showed them going into the mine through that barred entrance and all the inside workings were kitted out as an "Adventure Activity" with underground zip-wires etc, but it is a long way from the "Go Below" base at the Conwy Falls Cafe above Betws-y-Coed.
     There was also a fenced-off building at the top of the hill just above the car park surrounded by trees with a pyramid-shaped structure in the grounds (see attached pics) which has had a lot of work done to ensure the stream doesn't undermine the walls since I was last up there.  I don't think it is inhabited.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1520 on: April 10, 2015, 06:32:11 pm »
SDQ,   No Tellytubby's Father wasn't called Geoff  and sadly he passed away a few years ago

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1521 on: April 10, 2015, 06:38:04 pm »
SDQ,   No Tellytubby's Father wasn't called Geoff  and sadly he passed away a few years ago

OK, thanks. Obviously not the person I thought it was.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1522 on: April 10, 2015, 06:41:46 pm »
Gwynant,  they are not doing a lot of renovation such as putting the roof back on, they are just making safe the existing ruins and capping them to save them from deteriorating any further.
The mine was on the bottom level of the slate tips and more or less behind the boathouse.   There isn't a path on the eastern side of the lake and we made our way through the boggy reed beds following the sheep tracks but we saw a couple of stiles before setting out on that route but I wouldn't recommend it in wet weather.
We have been to that place with the pyramid structure before it was cordoned off but I don't think anyone was living there even then.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1523 on: April 14, 2015, 04:13:54 pm »
Today we parked the car at the Railway Station in Betws Y Coed and headed uphill towards Llyn Elsi.   It wasn't long before we came to the monument at the top of the lake but the weather was overcast and visibility wasn't good, unlike the forecast on the TV but at least it was dry and it wasn't windy.
We walked along the dam and I believe that is where they found the cannons that were stolen from the R & BT Cafe on the Great Orme.  Looking around the surrounding area and paths I can only come to the conclusion that at least two local people were involved as this place is off the beaten track and those cannons must have been quite heavy to carry.
We carried on to Rhiwddolion and the buildings there are now in serious danger of falling down and some have since my last visit there.  I've enclosed an old photo of the shop so a comparison can be made.   After having our refreshments we headed downhill to the Miners Bridge and then crossed it and followed the River Llugwy back to Betws and finished the day with a nice pint of beer outside the Royal Oak.  By that time the Sun had come out and it was quite warm but we had enjoyed a delightful walk anyway.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1524 on: April 14, 2015, 04:15:40 pm »
Betws Y Coed

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1525 on: April 14, 2015, 07:43:32 pm »
Great walk, Hugo, its one of our favourites.  $good$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1526 on: April 18, 2015, 10:00:19 am »
        Last Thursday we drove to Holyhead Breakwater Park and after having a look round the Tunnicliffe Gallery of local wildlife and history which is housed in one of the buildings there we set off up the Coastal Path up past the strangely chapel-like dynamite magazine up to a point above North Stack where we could see South Stack coming into view.
        From there we took the turn-off to the trig point at the top of Mynydd Twr (Holyhead Mountain 220 mts), from where we could see all the North Wales skyline from Penmaenmawr right round to Bardsey Island across Ynys Mon and also the coast of Ireland with the ferries coming across into Holyhead Port.
        We then retraced our steps back to the Coastal Path and followed it to the lookout point above South Stack and then walked down to Ellins Tower where we had our sandwiches overlooking the lighthouse and the thousands of seabirds nesting on the cliffs below. I can remember walking down the 400 steps to the old suspension bridge (Now replaced by a more modern structure) and having a free tour of the Lighthouse by the Trinity House keepers over 50 years ago, it now costs £4.50 and I think is run by the RSPB.
       We then turned back towards Mynydd Twr past a smallholding with some goats and stopped to watch some folks abseiling on the cliffs before taking the path on the landward side back round to the Breakwater Park. A very enjoyable easy walk with great views on the day, I think it featured on "Weatherman Walking" with Derek Brockway on BBC Cymru last year.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1527 on: April 18, 2015, 10:04:25 am »
         Mynydd Twr Walk Pics.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1528 on: April 18, 2015, 10:10:00 am »
          South Stack Pics.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1529 on: April 18, 2015, 03:00:24 pm »
That's a great walk and photos too Gwynant.     $good$     Those cliffs are very high and some of the paths are quite near the edge and no place for anyone with vertigo.
We have it listed for a walk this year and hope to go across the bridge to South Stack lighthouse.   As you go half way down those steps, on your left you can see where the Puffins nest so it would be nice if we can see any.
Iolo Williams did a programme on the breakwater park within the last 12 months and it was very good to watch.