Author Topic: Walking  (Read 842450 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #1410 on: November 02, 2014, 05:04:31 pm »
Were you on the other bank Dave because I can remember some nice photos you took of the Barracks there?
We'd crossed over on the little bridge at Lleweni and were trying to head back towards Denbigh on the other bank. The Clwyd had recently flooded, making our walk not the wisest of ideas.  :roll:

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1411 on: November 02, 2014, 06:42:55 pm »
      We took a trip on one of the last trains of the year on the WHA on Wednesday. I would have posted this before but I used one of the photos I took for the Quiz and I know that certain members check the jpeg numbers to glean information (you know who you are!).
      We parked in Tesco's Caernarfon and walked down over the footbridge to catch the 1000 train to Beddgelert, and the visibility was very clear on the journey up to and over Rhyd-Ddu, giving very good views of Mynydd Mawr, Nantlle Ridge, Eryri, Moel Hebog and the Moelwyns in the distance.
      We got off at Beddgelert and took the Fisherman's Path past Gelert'grave  beside the Afon Glaslyn and over the footbridge down to Nantmor where we had our butties before taking the same route back. It's a fairly level route except for the path through the woods up into Nantmor, but care has to be taken on the overhanging ledges over the river, but there are metal handholds which featured in one of Hugo's Quiz questions earlier this year, and it took about an hour each way.
      When we arrived back in Beddgelert we had a look around the village which was very busy as it was half-term week and the Glaslyn Hufen Ia (Ice Cream) shop was doing very good business as the temperature was in the upper 60's, and then took the bus back to Caernarfon which took about 30 mins, had a coffee in the square and picked up the car. It's a nice easy walk in a lovely area and we will be returning next year to do the Llyn Dinas-Cwm Bychan circular walk, the last time we did it we walked through the railway tunnels as the WHR hadn't been refurbished then.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1412 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »
              Fisherman's Path, Aberglaslyn.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1413 on: November 02, 2014, 10:34:54 pm »
That's one of the nicest walks to do Gwynant as the scenery is quite spectacular.    You must have taken that photo of the Wood Mouse on your return journey,  not that I've taken any notice of your  jpeg numbers to glean information for the quiz.       ;D

Great photos too and I like the one that shows the Nantlle Ridge,  It looks very steep and it's quite a while since I huffed and puffed my way up there.    $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #1414 on: November 03, 2014, 06:38:10 pm »
I didn't realise the railway closed for the winter, I had hoped to take a trip when there was snow about !

Offline Dave

« Reply #1415 on: November 03, 2014, 07:01:38 pm »
One of my favourite walks is the  Geirionydd /Crafnant route but started from Trefriw. Some stunning autumnal colours and a sunny day so one day last week  I decided to try my hand at landscape photography which isn't something I do often, it's a lot more difficult that it seems trying to find suitable subject matter that looks good in the final shot. Anyway, first stop the Fairy Falls seemed a good start
Snowdonia walk by DaveWilliamsNaturePhotography, on Flickr
Carry on up through the village and then up through the woods towards Geirionydd.The sun was highlighting the lichen on the rocks but it looked better to the eye than in camera
Apparently they have improved the path on the Crafnant side of Geirionydd but we stuck with the road as it was in full sun. Handy pit stop at the loos if required, but not on this occasion
Up over the top and drop down to Crafnant.
We chose to walk around the top end where again there has been considerable improvement to the path. You can certainly take a pushchair although a wheel chair might be a bit awkward depending on how much weight you are pushing.
Anyway, we were getting to the point where the sun was starting to drop behind the mountains so I upped my pace to try and capture some reflection shots on the water before it was too late.
As the Fairy Falls had been in full flow we dropped back down to Trefriw on the road instead of past the old mine building and through the valley as last time we went that way the wooden bridge had been vandalised and we didn't fancy our chances of trying to get across the river if it wasn't there.
A fabulous day, a fabulous walk. We are so lucky to live where we do!

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1416 on: November 03, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »
I didn't realise the railway closed for the winter, I had hoped to take a trip when there was snow about !
           It doesn't close down completely Dave, it runs a greatly reduced service, from Porthmadoc to Beddgelert twice a day every other Wednesday and Thursday during November and December, also a few "Santa Specials" from Caernarfon on Saturday and Sunday early December, and one train a day Caernarfon-Portmadog between Christmas and New Year and the Ffestiniog Railway has roughly the same schedule. I think that they start up again mid-February, they did this year. Timetables available on line @ffwhr.com or any tourist info.office etc.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1417 on: November 03, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »
Thanks Gwynant. I took some visitors on the whole route, Caernarfon to Porthmadog and back earlier this year. I was repaying a big favour so I treated them and bought tickets for the observation car. Fortunately we had the observation car on the right outward journey because if you get it wrong you observe the rear of the locomotive. On our return we had first class tickets which I didn't think were as good as the third class where yo can sit in an open sided carriage at the rear of the train which is the best place for photos.
Still, having learnt from the first trip, next time we will probably only go to Beddgelert and travel Third class all the way !

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1418 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »
               A nice walk at this time of year and fantastic photos Dave, seeing as landscape photography "is'nt something you do very often. Puts my little "point and press" shots to shame!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1419 on: November 03, 2014, 07:24:47 pm »
Beautiful photos Dave, thanks.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1420 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:50 pm »
               A nice walk at this time of year and fantastic photos Dave, seeing as landscape photography "is'nt something you do very often. Puts my little "point and press" shots to shame!
Your "point and press "shots were equally impressive and didn't take over £2k's worth of equipment to capture.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1421 on: November 03, 2014, 07:50:58 pm »
Really lovely photos Dave    $good$

I take it that you are aware of this offer on the WHR
'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card' is available to all homeowners and permanent residents in Conwy County Borough, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Anglesey & Wrexham and is valid for 5 years.

'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card' entitles the holder to a 66% discount on Third Class fares on normal Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways trains - and to Privilege Rate or discounted 'Y Cerdyn' fares during events and on special trains. Cards must be produced when buying your tickets.

You can now download 'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card' application form using the link below. The application form is in Adobe Acrobat format. Just download, print it out, and send your completed application form, a passport sized photograph and £15.00 to:

'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card'
 Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways
 Harbour Station
 Porthmadog
 Gwynedd. LL49 9NF

Offline Dave

« Reply #1422 on: November 03, 2014, 08:01:58 pm »
Thanks Hugo, I was aware and did buy one for myself and other half which saved us £5 on our first outing so was worth it. I think the cost for 5 people first class return was about £220 so not cheap. Next time the two of us can go third class , I believe we can take two grandchildren too, all for £20. Now that is a bargain!

Offline Dave

« Reply #1423 on: November 03, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »
To clarify what I meant about the Observation car here's a picture
Welsh Highland Railway   Porthmadog by DaveWilliamsNaturePhotography, on Flickr
It's a bit of a swizz when you have paid £20 pp extra then the view is obscured !

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1424 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
Hi Dave, Great photos of your Crafnant/Geirionydd walk, I lived there by Geirionydd for 15 years, if I have it correct,  just to the right of your last photo, did you take the path through the farm?