Author Topic: Walking  (Read 840838 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #1125 on: August 04, 2013, 08:45:04 am »
This might work....

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1126 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:59 am »
Or this...

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1127 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55:37 am »
Wishful thinking thre, Ian.

They think it is entirely acceptable to pay nothing (in their case) for unlimited bus travel every day, whilst young folk are paying over £8.00 per day to get to a job which pays only £6.18 per hour.
Can anyone see the problem with this?

£8.00 per day to get to a job?

A Day Saver on the bus currently costs £6.50 and a Weekly Saver costs £19.00.

So a Weekly Saver for a six day working week works out at £3.17 per day.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1128 on: August 04, 2013, 09:12:16 am »

The second thing is in Arriva's court: they could introduce special carriages for the season. Viewing carriages, dining carriages and so on, and link that with 'packages', possibly 2-day tours,

I think that is a great idea Ian. Some more inspiration from the Rocky Mountaineer.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1129 on: August 04, 2013, 09:28:38 am »
The second thing is in Arriva's court: they could introduce special carriages for the season. Viewing carriages, dining carriages and so on, and link that with 'packages', possibly 2-day tours, star-watching tours (the air's remarkably clear near BF, for example), Victoriana tours and more.  It does require some imagination, and it requires the existing companies to start working together and realising that there's money to be made if the thing's properly organised and managed.
It would require a miracle, rather than imagination, Ian, as I don't believe there is any suitable rolling stock on the UK railway network today. Design & construction of a single new observation carriage would easily reach well into six figures. A shame, as it would be an excellent idea.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1130 on: August 04, 2013, 09:33:52 am »
Wishful thinking thre, Ian.

They think it is entirely acceptable to pay nothing (in their case) for unlimited bus travel every day, whilst young folk are paying over £8.00 per day to get to a job which pays only £6.18 per hour.
Can anyone see the problem with this?

£8.00 per day to get to a job?

A Day Saver on the bus currently costs £6.50 and a Weekly Saver costs £19.00.

So a Weekly Saver for a six day working week works out at £3.17 per day.
Many jobs are part time these days, Bri.  A typical working week can sometimes be just 3 or 4 days, with a shift of a few hours every day. Taking 3 days as an example, that gives a cost of £6.33 a day - or nearly an hour's pay at minimum wage.

How can it be right that millionaire pensioners can travel around for free on buses, yet working people on minimum wage have to pay full price?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/sharp-rise-cost-free-bus-1909803

&shake&

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1131 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:08 am »
            I use my Bus Pass mainly for travel to and from a walking trip, to save having to return to the car  and therefore have to do a circular route every time. I also used to have to travel to work on the buses when I was on an apprentice's wage many years ago and so I appreciate the high relative costs involved for young people, as Fester points out.
            At the moment when you get on a bus and submit your pass, the machine registers the point of entry to the bus but not the point of exit, which could be the next stop or 40 miles down the road, and you also do not get a ticket now on Arriva but you do on other companies. I assume that the bus company gets the same amount from Conwy Council for each concessionary journey taken, but they cannot know the duration, which I agree cannot be fair.
       Surely a system similar to the "Cerdyn" used on the WHR, which gives you a substantial discount based on the distance travelled on the journey, so the more you use it the more you pay rather than a flat rate every time, or free as it is at present. This is somewhat like the idea which frequently comes up about scrapping the car tax and putting up petrol prices, so the more you use your car the more you pay to use the roads. I also use my bike whenever I can locally instead of the car, (yes, I am that motorist's nightmare, a pensioner on a bike!), mainly because it is quicker to get to town that way and you don't have to drive round looking for a parking space.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1132 on: August 04, 2013, 09:41:56 am »
According to WG's figures, the concessionary bus pass scheme cost £67m in 2010/11 and there were a total of 651,000 passes issued, giving a cost of £102.90 per pass issued per year.

http://www.assemblywales.org/qg11-0014.pdf

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1133 on: August 04, 2013, 09:52:36 am »
                         At the moment when you get on a bus and submit your pass, the machine registers the point of entry to the bus but not the point of exit, which could be the next stop or 40 miles down the road, and you also do not get a ticket now on Arriva but you do on other companies. I assume that the bus company gets the same amount from Conwy Council for each concessionary journey taken, but they cannot know the duration, which I agree cannot be fair.

A valid point, Gwynant.

The new system seems to now be open to abuse and possible fraud.

Also, when Arriva issued a paper ticket it provided customers with the driver’s ID number and a telephone number for their Customer Services for disgruntled passengers to phone with any complaints.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1134 on: August 04, 2013, 10:01:46 am »
Of course, if we were being sensible about all this, then public transport would be free and many countries are in the process of introducing zero-fare or free transport systems.

The case for zero-fare systems is disputable; staff costs are reduced, timetables can be better maintained, it's fairer to the low paid, apparently there's far less aggressive behaviour and - of course - the benefits to the environment can be substantial;, especially if electric buses are used. On the other hand , costs are entirely met by the tax payer so taxation increases and - as it's a free system - there's always the risk of vandalism increasing, since people often don't tend to value things provided free at point of sale.  But I really think Llandudno and Colwyn Bay need to think in terms of a system that would attract visitors and that implies Trams or a monorail.  But then we're back to investment.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1135 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:48 am »
              Exactly Bri, but I imagine you would have to be extremely disgruntled to complain about a free service!
                        *cycle*     $walesflag$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1136 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:28 am »
Like getting on a number 25 signposted for Eglwysbach to visit Bodnant Garden and later asked by the driver to get off at Fforddlas Bridge because it was now a school bus for Ysgol Aberconwy.

Does that count?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1137 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:45 pm »
What about such as I?  I have had a Bus pass for 12 years and have only used it for one journey when my car went in for a service.  As my wife took me to collect the car I did not even use it for the return journey!
 ^*^0
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1138 on: August 04, 2013, 04:59:09 pm »
You should get your money's worth from that Bus Pass Yorkie.    ;D    Even if you don't use the bus, try the Conwy Valley railway line, it's a pleasant journey and there are lots to see along the way.
Once a month I go walking with the OAP's and if the weather isn't good we settle for a train ride instead.    $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1139 on: August 04, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »
I couldn't agree more.  D)