Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821237 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #630 on: March 13, 2012, 10:15:04 pm »
Looks good! we must revisit, what's the car parking like there?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #631 on: March 13, 2012, 10:20:11 pm »
There is a big car park by the river and another at the racecourse (as long as there isn't a race meeting on) that are reasonable. The multi storeys are expensive but handy if you have a lot to carry.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:49 pm »
expensive
Not a word that Merddin likes to hear...  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #633 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:57 pm »
expensive
Not a word that Merddin likes to hear...  :laugh:

:laugh:  I'm getting more used to it now though, after buying a new iPad2, a new oven at over £500  :o  (very good though!) a new workshop arriving soon, new carpets coming and just the other day two coffees in Caffe Nero :o  :laugh:   All thanks to GVC  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #634 on: March 14, 2012, 06:43:29 pm »
Well then ME, now that we know that you are splashing the cash around there's no need to worry about car park charges.
Here's what to do, drive up to the front or back of the Grosvenor Hotel and have your car valet parked while you pop in to the Brasserie for lunch and then time for a spot of shopping in the arcade before heading home! Perfect $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #635 on: March 14, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »
One more architectural disaster and three gems.

Offline hollins

« Reply #636 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »
Great work, H. I always think a walk right around the Walls is one of the great pleasures of a visit to Chester.

Thanks DaveR. I wondered if you knew about this real ale pub on Lower Bridge Street? It is called the Brewery Tap.

http://www.the-tap.co.uk/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #637 on: March 14, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »
It was such a lovely afternoon that I thought that I'd take advantage of the good weather and have a walk in Penrhynside and on the Little Orme. Parking my car at the bottom of Penrhyn Hill, I walked up the path past Penrhyn Old Hall and the Medieval Chapel that is now in ruins and carried on up the path until reaching the far end of Penrhynside. Turning right and after a bit of a pull up the road I went on the footpath leading to Pant Y Wennol.  Just before reaching there you come across the ruins of "Mount Pleasant" and although there is little left to see it was the family home of Frederick and Emma Hughes who lived there until 1954.
Coming down the hill is Pant Y Wennol which was in the 1800's a community of about 70 people living in fourteen separate houses and they even had a Chapel there and Thomas Kendrick was born in a cottage there in 1821.
Going downhill a bit further is a very overgrown path that seems to be going into the cliff face and infact leads to a cave where a John Thomas lived from 1742 for a good many years afterwards too.  He actually paid Gloddaeth Estates four pence a year rent!   Passing Bodafon School I went down the footpath behind Bryn Y Bia Road and carried on until I came to Ffynnon Sadwrn.  In the 19th Century this well was much appreciated locally as a water supply possibly because it was considered especially good for brewing beer. At this point you can actually see the raised track where the tram used to run through the fields of Bodafon Farm.
  Returning to the footpath I went on to Bryn Y Bia Road and followed Colwyn Road until I came to the public footpath on the left leading to Ty Uchaf the only remaining farm on the Little Orme.   I went that way because I had never been down there before but in actual fact that part of the walk wasn't that scenic and led me to the private road by the quarry.   A quick visit to Angel Bay to see 14 seals on the beach and then it was back through the housing estate to pick up my car.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #638 on: March 14, 2012, 07:02:24 pm »
Little Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #639 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:13 pm »
Little Orme

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #640 on: March 14, 2012, 07:51:17 pm »
Hugo, thanks for telling us about your walks, you always have such interesting information on the places you pass - I didn't know about the medieval chapel, for example. 

I think that I must have been on the Little Orme at a similar time to you.  I went out there with two friends this afternoon and we arrived in brilliant sunshine.  We pottered along watching the birds and I picked up a few tips on identification as my friends are more knowledgeable than me.  By the time we got to Angel Bay it was starting to cloud over again but we were delighted to see 15 seals on the beach.  One swam off while we were watching but was playing about in the shallows later on.  Thank you so much for reporting on the seals in the wildlife thread, we each said that seeing the seals made our day.
 $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »
One more architectural disaster
You have to wonder what sort of building was demolished to build that monstrosity. Curiously though, many of the buildings in Chester's main streets only date back to Victorian times, they were actually designed to look much older.

My pet hate in Chester in the Inner Ring Road, so many fine buildings were demolished to build it in the 60s and it still remains today as an unwelcoming, noisy scar right through the City.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #642 on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:49 pm »
Yes, DaveR, I agree with you about Chesters iner ring road. Unfortunately, however, what was the alternative.
Remembering Chester prior to its being built, the city was absolute hell traffic wise. Without it being built, half of the lovely building you photograph would have collapsed under the vibration, fumes etc etc.
It was also virtually impossible to walk around inside the city walls because of the traffic, and a local rumour always claimed that the police on traffic control duties were specially trained with knowledge of the unique problems they faced.  Mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #643 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51:07 am »
Hugo, thanks for telling us about your walks, you always have such interesting information on the places you pass - I didn't know about the medieval chapel, for example. 

Thanks very much Blodyn.  That Chapel is in the grounds of Penrhyn Old Hall and is believed to be the original St Mary's Chapel built in 1447.  Here's a photo of the interior in 1926. It's a shame that it has been allowed to go into ruin so quickly after it closed in 1930.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: March 15, 2012, 01:13:02 pm »
Yes, DaveR, I agree with you about Chesters iner ring road. Unfortunately, however, what was the alternative.
Remembering Chester prior to its being built, the city was absolute hell traffic wise. Without it being built, half of the lovely building you photograph would have collapsed under the vibration, fumes etc etc.
It was also virtually impossible to walk around inside the city walls because of the traffic, and a local rumour always claimed that the police on traffic control duties were specially trained with knowledge of the unique problems they faced.  Mike
The solution would have been to route all non-city centre traffic outside of the walls, perhaps? Not sure how difficult that would have been but surely feasible?