Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821389 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #2340 on: June 13, 2022, 10:15:17 am »
It does.
Thanks Ian, this is new to me, once the photo is enlarged, I can pick a point on the photo to zoom into.

PS I have sent you a PM

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2341 on: June 16, 2022, 09:30:57 am »
Yesterday, Tellytubby and I met up to do a walk in Marl Woods. It was the first time either of us had done a walk there so we were looking forward to doing it
The weather was warm and sunny so the walking shorts came out for the first time this year
The first part of the walk is a long straight and fairly level walk passing masses of Wild Garlic until we came to a well.   I've no idea of the origin of the well but it is in a very good state of repair and nearby is the start of Jacob's Ladder.   A series of steep and fairly long steps that took us through some delightful woodland until we came to an area of open ground that has panoramic views in all directions.
We spent some time there before heading up the hillside and making our way to the oberlisk where we stopped to have  our refreshments sitting in a sheltered spot at the base of the oberlisk
We then had a circular walk around the village of Bryn Pydew before returning to the woodland and descending through parts of Bodysgallen Hall and  down Jacob's Ladder and then back to the car park.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2342 on: June 16, 2022, 09:37:03 am »
Marl Woods walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2343 on: June 16, 2022, 09:43:06 am »
Marl Wood walk

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2344 on: July 20, 2022, 10:35:34 am »
My apologies to genuine walkers who follow the country code..........

Videos showing piles of litter left at a Snowdonia beauty spot have sparked outrage. Thousands of people headed to Llyn Padarn, near Llanberis, to escape the record-breaking heat and many dumped their rubbish rather than bin it or take it home.

Hundreds of discarded drink bottles were left lying at the water?s edge by thoughtless visitors. Picnic tables were left piled high and the car park was littered with cans and food wrappers.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/much-litter-left-snowdonia-lake-24532108

Offline Helig

« Reply #2345 on: July 20, 2022, 01:20:08 pm »
Many is the time I have been driving through Snowdonia on a beautiful day when the car in front opened a window and thrown their rubbish out of it. You wonder where these morons come from.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2346 on: July 20, 2022, 02:50:58 pm »
I've told the story before and it happened many years ago when I was much younger, stronger and a lot faster on my feet
One day I was walking on the pavement on the West Shore and an arm came out of the car window and then dropped an Apple core on the pavement.
As I got to the car I picked the core up and said to the passenger " excuse me but you've just dropped this" and then I just dropped the core on his lap
I was half expecting a fight or flight moment but not a peep out of the passenger or the others in the car.  Perhaps it was because they knew that they were in the wrong, I don't know ?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2347 on: July 21, 2022, 10:04:57 am »
An unusual story from the US.........

?I?m not answering that!? is a common refrain nowadays when an unknown number pops up on our phones. But then, most of the time we haven?t been missing in the wilderness for 24 hours.

Authorities say a man, who remains unidentified, became lost while hiking on Colorado?s tallest mountain, Mount Elbert, and ignored multiple phone calls from rescue teams because they came from an unknown number.

Read more  https://globalnews.ca/news/8328728/missing-hiker-unknown-number-no-answer/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2348 on: July 23, 2022, 02:50:23 pm »
Old Uncle Albert had seen a walk advertised in a N Wales magazine and thought that it would be a good one for us to do.   Because of a time factor we decided to do the second part of the walk and met up in the small village of Llandecwyn to start it.
It's a circular walk going up to Llyn Tecwyn Uchaf and returning via a tarmac lane passing the old Church of Llandecwyn and then past Llyn Tecwyn Isaf  and continuing on the lane until we come back to our vehicle.
We started the walk on the footpath signed in blue circular route and made our way uphill .  The wide track is pleasant and steep but we took our time and stopped quite often for a breather and to admire the views across the River Dwyryd to the Powder Works and beyond,    After a while the valley narrows and eventually brings you up to Llyn Tecwyn Uchaf reservoir,
That's where we stopped to have our refreshments.  Kestrels breed on the cliffs and red breasted Mergansers can be seen on the lake, but they were not there yesterday unfortunately,.much to Tellytubbys disappointment
Soon it was time to move on and the next part of the walk was a very steep tarmac path but at the top we were rewarded with stunning panoramic views.  We could see the Church of St Tecwyn perched on the hilltop with views of Portmeirion,  Porthmadog and all of Snowdonia with a distant view of Harlech Castle
We stopped to have a look inside this isolated Church and then continued down the narrow winding lane until we came to Llyn Tecwyn Isaf, a private but beautiful lake with masses of Water Lilies around the edges. The narrow lane continued and we turned right when the lane split and went down another long stretch of   a very steep lane to get back to our car.
A really great walk and we never met a single person on the way so our walks are as safe as they could possibly be.
We haven't walked as often as we normally do because the three of us have all had various health issues that have prevented walks,  but as friends we have all kept in touch with each other by phone or e-mail to make sure that we are all ok    All being well it won't be long before we arrange another walk
If anyone wants to do that walk then the only advise I would give is to follow the directions we went on.   It's much easier than the other way round.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2349 on: July 23, 2022, 02:56:52 pm »
Llyn Tecwyn Uchaf walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2350 on: July 23, 2022, 03:02:57 pm »
Llyn Tecwyn Uchaf

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2351 on: July 23, 2022, 04:36:54 pm »
Happy birthday Hugo have a great day.

Offline mull

« Reply #2352 on: July 23, 2022, 06:23:56 pm »
Happy Birthday  Hugo. Is that about 47 again !

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2353 on: July 24, 2022, 10:09:59 am »
Best wishes on your birthday Hugo, have a good time.....  $drink$

Sorry forgot to mention, another great travelogue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2354 on: July 24, 2022, 02:11:07 pm »
Thanks Norman, Mull and Steve for your good wishes.     Mrs H and I went out early on Saturday to the Welsh Farm Foods at Bodnant and enjoyed a full Furnace breakfast.  We couldn't eat another meal for the rest of the day after that and no chance of walking it off either.

I did enjoy that walk we did,  even if Old Uncle Albert kept singing 76 Trombones now and again and after he sent me that birthday card!.
It's nice though having good mates for company and having a laugh along the way