Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821868 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2310 on: March 03, 2022, 03:14:04 pm »
Eirias Park to Llanelian Yn Rhos circular walk

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2311 on: March 03, 2022, 03:34:54 pm »
I have just read your travelogue, and seen the photos another good one, and it shows you do not have to go far from home.  &well&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2312 on: March 03, 2022, 03:56:40 pm »
Thanks Steve and that problem I had with the photos seems to have been sorted out now

I did the walk from Chris Draper's book and it's full of interesting historical information and it is just worth reading without actually doing the walk
As you say, we don't have to go far to have a nice local walk, we are so lucky

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2313 on: March 04, 2022, 10:59:55 am »
It's nice to know, that with modern tech. XXXXXXX can be found easier...........

Four walkers and a dog were rescued off a Snowdonia mountain, after phone technology pinpointed their location.

Aberdyfi Search and Rescue Team were called, after they became became stuck on Cader Idris, during Wednesday afternoon.

A rescue team spokesman said: "Shortly before 5pm on Wednesday March 2, call-handlers from Aberdyfi Search & Rescue Team were made aware of a party of crag-fast walkers on Cader Idris.

"The group of four walkers and their dog had started from Minffordd carpark around lunchtime with the intention of reaching the summit.

"They had opted to take the route known as the "Stone Chute" from Llyn Cau up to the ridge-line. This is a steep and loose track that ends in a scramble up an awkward, steep and slippery rock step close to the rim of the cwm.

"Finding this last section well beyond their ability, and assuming that this meant that they had lost the path, the group lost confidence, and with deteriorating weather and failing daylight, they called for assistance.

"Using Phone-find technology, call-handlers were able to pinpoint the group's position, and a small hill-party was dispatched to help them off the mountain."

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/four-walkers-dog-rescued-snowdonia-23284377?IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4#comments-wrapper

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2314 on: March 04, 2022, 11:13:19 am »
"Finding this last section well beyond their ability,".   I wonder, really; do any of these people ever really research their ascent routes before trying to do them? It's not as if it's difficult to do.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2315 on: March 04, 2022, 02:35:43 pm »
Just a bit of research, an earlier starting time and common sense could have avoided all that.      Thankfully no one was hurt in this incident.       &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2316 on: March 16, 2022, 06:27:03 pm »
Yesterday Tellytubby and I drove to Betws Y Coed and met up with old Uncle Albert for a walk up to Capel Garmon.    We started from a parking space by Beaver's Bridge and walked to Fairy Glen where we headed uphill and crossed over  the A5.
This section of the walk was the hardest as it is up a very steep woodland path that zig zags it's way to a forest road, but we took our time and had frequent stops on the way up.     The going got easier after that and as we got nearer the village of Capel Garmon we were rewarded with spectacular views of the mountain ranges and especially Moel Siabod.
Just as we got to the village, Tellytubby spotted a Red kite and we watched it for a while as it flew overhead.  Apparently the population of Red Kites has increased a lot in this area and my brother told me that he saw 5 Kites one day when he was working in the village
The village street remains in a well preserved state but sadly the General Store and The White Horse Inn no longer remain and have been converted into residential homes.  I suppose it is a sign of the times but I remember when I was working and how I used to call at the store and ask for  directions and other times having a few pints in the White Horse at weekends.
We had a look around the Churchyard and then made our way back through the village to the Capel Garmon Burial Chamber.   The burial chamber is one of the best examples of Neolithic Burial Chambers in the locality and also one of the finest settings with views over the Snowdonia mountain range.
It was a warm sunny day and we just sat there in the sunshine and had our drinks and food.   It was so peaceful and quiet with only the sounds of birds and sheep to be heard.   Then the silence was disturbed  when over a dozen rambles came into view and into the enclosed area of the Cromlech.   
The ramblers had come from the Wirral and we had a light hearted chat with them and “my mates” told them that I had helped to build the cromlech!      Cheeky B's  but  what is so nice walking with friends is that you always have a nice banter with each other.
It was time to move on but at least the walk was downhill all the way, first to a lane that took us to the Conwy Falls cafe and then on to a well defined path high above the River Conwy.
This path is all that remains of the toll road built by the Capel Curig Turnpike Trust in the start of the 19th century.    You can still see the stone embankments and buttresses along the track but it must have been dangerous for the coaches that travelled along it.  The track became redundant in 1815 when Thomas Telford built what is now the A5 high above the track
It didn't take too long before we arrived at our cars a little tired but having enjoyed a delightful walk in a beautiful area of North Wales

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2317 on: March 16, 2022, 06:34:19 pm »
Capel Garmon walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2318 on: March 16, 2022, 06:36:46 pm »
Capel Garmon walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2319 on: March 24, 2022, 11:35:27 am »
Yesterday was such a beautiful warm sunny day that I thought that I'd have a walk from the West Shore to the Gunsite as it's a while since I last did that walk.   As I went past the Toll House the first thing I noticed was the erosion had become worse particularly that bit just below the Monk's Path.   A little bit further on,looking over the wall on the sea side is an unusual building and I bet strangers passing by will wonder what it is.    In fact it is a Summer House that belongs to the impressive St Petrock's house across the road.  Sadly it has fallen into disrepair and is no longer used.   There is also a tunnel under the road that connects the two buildings and behind the garage belonging to St Petrocks is Gogarth Cave where Miriam and Isaac Jones once lived with their many children in the 1800's
Llys Helig Drive was busy with a lot of construction work going on, with older houses being demolished and replaced with very large modern houses but once on the Gunsite it was so peaceful, the Gorse was in full bloom and I only met a few people during that part of the walk.     I sat on that memorial bench that Fester found and had something to eat and drink while enjoying the stunning views all around.
Soon it was time to move on and I went down to the three lookout buildings that have now subsided and are looking downwards on to the shore.  Getting down there was an effort but getting back up was even worse as I took a direct climb up.    The concrete steps that once went from the Gunsite to the beach have gone with just a couple of sections remaining.
I continued on up the track passing a look out building and made my way up way above Hornby Cove and then on to the cafe where I had a nice latter and piece of cake.    After the trek up there it was just nice to sit there and cool off before I started back to West Shore
The route back was up the concrete track and past the Monk's Path before taking a track that brought me down by Ogaf Arth and the Toll House.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2320 on: March 24, 2022, 11:38:51 am »
West Shore to the Gunsite walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2321 on: March 24, 2022, 11:40:43 am »
West Shore to the Gunsite walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2322 on: April 22, 2022, 11:26:48 am »
On Wednesday Tellytubby and I met up to do a circular walk in the Dyserth area. It's a walk that we have done many times but never ever get tired of doing it but we did vary it slightly from previous walks that we have done.
We parked our cars in the car park near the site of the old railway staion and followed the Afon Ffyddion downstream to Pandy Lane.   The wild Garlic were out in masses along the riverbank and the scent from the flowers was quite strong as you walked past them.
At Pandy Lane, this time we turned left and walked to the High Street but after a short walk turned right to Bryn Y Felin an older part of Dyserth.  The lane leads down to a steep flight of steps and then crosses over the river on the new footbridge.  What I like about this particular area is that it seems to have an air of mystery about it.  The cliff with its overhanging rock, the caves and the river flowing under the rock, it's almost like prehistoric in its appearance.  Numerous species of birds can be seen in this area and  one of the favourites is the Dipper which nests and feeds nearby.
We continued on the walk but the masses of Purple Orchids that I wanted to see had not yet appeared sadly.
So we crossed a field and headed for a quarry just beyond the old railway track and stopped there for a drink.    On the cliffs above us was the site of an old Norman Castle but nothing remains of it now because it was all quarried away.    We then crossed lanes and open farmland before coming to the main Dyserth to Trelawnyd Road, but just before we crossed the road we stopped to have a look in someone's front garden.
The house has a leat in the front garden and there are many leats in the area with the water coming downhill from the area around Marian Mills.    This particular leat goes under the main road and emerges on the southern side of the road
We crossed over the main road and then walked across open farmland until we went over a narrow wooden bridge.    By this time we were ready for some food and we sat on a bench overlooking a small river.       It was a very warm sunny day and we couldn't have picked a better spot for our refreshments..    In front of us was a small dam which formed a pond behind it and water was cascading over the sides of the dam.    It was so peaceful with no noise apart from the sound of the water and the birds around us.    We realised how lucky we were to be living in a beautiful area and also being able to do the walk itself.
Soon it was time to move on and we had a look at the old mills before returning back to the car.   We took a different route back along a tramway and eventually a narrow path through flowering Blackthorn and that's where my waterproof trainers were tested.      I sank to about a foot in soft mud and my trainers were well and truly tested even if I'm still trying to clean them

I've attached two links of details about the area, the second link was found by Steve when he answered a quiz question I had set, so thanks again Steve
https://dyserth.com/mills.html

https://wellhopper.wales/2012/02/06/ffynnon-asa-cwm/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2323 on: April 22, 2022, 11:36:32 am »
Dyserth to Marian Mills walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2324 on: April 22, 2022, 11:48:39 am »
Dyserth to Marian Mills walk