Author Topic: Walking  (Read 843690 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1770 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »
I'm glad that you didn't give me a ticking off about wearing shorts in that wet and boggy landscape     :-[      but I do admit that I prefer walking in shorts in the Summer as the Winters seem very long.
It was good to hear that the Arran MRT's call out ended safely for everyone.   Anyone can be caught out if the weather turns but we should be prepared for all eventualities.
I've got a load of admiration for you guys who go out on these rescues because you could easily be hurt in the process of rescuing someone.
Hope that that injury of yours heals quickly and then you can be out and about again.     $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #1771 on: September 11, 2016, 04:56:03 pm »
Action man had to be content with a walk with me today!
We walked around the Alwen reservoir which was originally built to provide water for Birkenhead.
We parked at the dam where there is plenty of free parking.
This is a walk or cycle of about 7 miles on easy paths.
It is very varied with woodland, lakeside and moorland sections.
It was a beautiful day and we managed a picnic lunch on the lake shore.
I was amazed by the different mosses, lichen and mushrooms especially the red and white toadstools which made the woods look like fairyland!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1772 on: September 11, 2016, 05:06:25 pm »
Alwen walk.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1773 on: September 11, 2016, 06:22:59 pm »
What a lovely day for your walk. Wonder what had been nibbling those Fly Agaric?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1774 on: September 11, 2016, 06:51:24 pm »
Thanks for the name Nemesis. I had no idea what they were called.
That part of the woods were full of them but they were nearly all nibbled at and we too were wondering what had been eating them.

Offline Jack

« Reply #1775 on: September 11, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »
According to t'internet after nibbling a fly agaric, a vole can stay in this position for anything up to twelve hours.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1776 on: September 11, 2016, 07:56:54 pm »
Eeeek!     :o :o :o

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1777 on: September 11, 2016, 09:13:15 pm »
As far as I know they are deadly poisonous to humans !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1778 on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:48 am »
We went on a lovely walk around Rowen yesterday afternoon. We did Walk 3 on the website below, very enjoyable and loads of ripe blackberries for the picking on the lanes in the area.  :D

http://rowenconwy.org.uk/walking/circular-walks-from-rowen/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1779 on: September 22, 2016, 02:25:43 pm »
On Tuesday we went to Cemlyn for a short circular walk of just over 3 miles.    Tellytubby had heard that a rare Wryneck had been seen in the area and as he is a keen birdwatcher he was hoping to see it there..    We parked the car in the Bryn Aber car park which is situated at the western end of the reserve where the remains of a large house called Bryn Aber are.   It was bought by a Captain Vivian Hewitt in the 1930s and he was a wealthy bur eccentric millionaire who had a passion for birds.    This led him to create a dam and weir at Cemlyn, changing the saltmarsh area close to the house to become the large lagoon that we can see there today. The lagoon is now a wonderful refuge for wildfowl   We set of along the coast, passing the Lifeboat memorial and following the rocky shoreline and kept a lookout for Dolphines but never saw any,  but a solitary Seal seemed to follow us along the walk because whenever we stopped he always seemed to be there.     It wasn't long before we saw St Rhwydrys Church in Llanfairynghornwy and made a detour to have a look at the building.   Luckily for us it was open.  It's a small Church but inside it was immaculate and worth the detour to see it.    After a good look around we went back to the path and had our refreshments by a lovely bay with cliffs that seemed to be eroding quite quickly.  The views along the coast were good but wherever we were the Wylfa Nuclear plant always seemed to be in view.  We carried on the walk and returned to the car park and had a good chat with a local man who advised us that the Wryneck had been seen in the ruins of the buildings within 100 yards of the car park.   On the walk we had seen Choughs, Buzzards, Stonechats and many other varieties of birds but no Wryneck and our chances of seeing one quickly disappeared when a party of school children went past the ruins.   At least we all enjoyed the walk and finished it off in a nice cafe in Cemaes Bay

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1780 on: September 22, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »
Cemlyn and Llanrhwydrys walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1781 on: October 04, 2016, 02:48:26 pm »
Yesterday, I met up with my friends Tellytubby and Rhuddlan by Eirias Park to do a circular walk in the beautiful Nant Y Glyn Valley . We started from the footpath near the school and walked through a nice housing estate before we started the walk on the eastern side of the stream.  The path took us through delightful Oak woodlands and gave us outstanding views of the other side of the steep wooded valley and the few large houses looked very impressive in the Autumn sunshine. After a while we crossed the stream and walked along the tarmac road to Bryn Y Maen, the lane is quite narrow and was quite steep in places too so when we got to Bryn Y Maen we were glad just to have a sit down in the warm sunshine and admire the buildings in the village.
We  saw the Church called "the Cathedral in the hills" and went inside and had a look around it.   It's a really beautiful building and well worth a visit.  The building was paid for by Charles and Eleanor Frost and was built in 1897 but sadly Charles died in 1896 before it was finished and is buried in the graveyard as is Eleanor.   
After visiting the Church we carried on up the road past Llwydcoed school and at the crossroads we turned left for the return journey down the valley.    Eleanor Frost (nee Jones) was born in 1826 in a cottage about half a mile from the cross roads.  The family were very poor and Eleanor said that if she every became rich then she would pay for a Church to be built where she lived and the "Cathedral in the hills" is part of her legacy.
After turning back into the woods we stopped to have our refreshments and then continued on our way back to our cars.   It was a nice walk, steep in some parts and just over 7 miles in total.    I must admit that I've lived here 30 years and that was the first time that I had walked in the valley,  I'll not wait so long in the future and will go again when the Bluebells are out next year

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1782 on: October 04, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »
Nant Y Glyn Valley

Offline Jack

« Reply #1783 on: October 04, 2016, 07:03:50 pm »
Great photos as usual Hugo  $good$

Brought back memories of 'cross country' runs from Eirias High School in the 1980s! Up the Nant-y-Glyn Valley in freezing rain and gale force winds and endless mud  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1784 on: October 04, 2016, 09:30:46 pm »
You must have been really fit in those days to do that Jack and I bet you still are.    You've  walked to the top of some mountains in the Carneddau before I've even got out of bed!