Author Topic: Walking  (Read 843852 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #1755 on: September 02, 2016, 12:59:08 pm »
Walkers and pet owners............

Hugo, I thought you might find this article interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37252925

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1756 on: September 02, 2016, 04:14:45 pm »
That's a cheerful thought Steve, they are horrible little things and you have to be very careful how you remove them.
Touch wood, it's only happened once to one of my dogs when we went to a dog show.    He got bitten and then I was stung by the Vet after he removed the tick from our dog.
The thought is enough to put you off walking in shorts   Once Tellytubby, Hugo's mate and I went for a walk, all of us wearing shorts and the three of us got bitten by something.  Their bites healed after a month, but mine 18 months later was getting worse and whatever it was had to be cut out and then the wound stitched up

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1757 on: September 02, 2016, 04:38:13 pm »
That's a cheerful thought Steve

Sorry, I did hesitate before posting, but thought it a better to read it, than not........better the  WWW you know

Offline mull

« Reply #1758 on: September 02, 2016, 05:57:32 pm »
Ticks are a nasty problem and it is getting worse.
One of the reasons I am sure especially here on Mull is the failure of landowners to muir burn in the spring.When we arrived here 20 years ago this always happened but nower days is really carried out. There are several reasons for this but I am sure the Eco warriors have had a lot to do with it. The older crofters say it clensed the land and I am sure there is a lot of truth in that. Just see how fast new vegitation comes back after it has been burnt off.

I always fit my dogs up with a Tick collar available from the vet at about £35 and last about 9 months. Any tick that gets on board drops off dead within 24 hours. I have used Spot treatment in the past but have found that sometimes it caused abad reaction.

Always wise to keep your legs covered when walking through long grass and bracken and to check your skin after the walk.
If you find a tick they can be removed with a Tick extractor hook available from the vet. Never try to extract one with your fingers there is a danger you will leave the head in and cause infection.

Happy Rambling !
Hugo, enjoy your reports keep them coming.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1759 on: September 02, 2016, 06:43:04 pm »
Hi Mull,  hope that you are keeping well up there in bonnie Scotland.  So much for the dogs but have you got any advise for us walkers, apart from wearing long trousers and cycle clips!
We were above Porthmadog the other day and were plagued by midges and you can see them in one of my photos.   I know Scotland has a reputation for having millions of the little blighters but do you have a problem with them on Mull?

A friend of mine lived by Newborough Forest and her dogs often had ticks but she put Tea Tree oil on them and they just dropped of after a short while

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1760 on: September 02, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »
We seem to have had spates of Ticks on Frizzy, non so far this year, but I bought a nifty gadget from the vet after he had the first one. Touch wood I seem to have managed to remove quite a few with success. We use Frontline as a regular thing, but found that last year we seemed to be having a constant battle with fleas. None at all this year, but don't take him on the Orme as much, so perhaps that explains something.

I too rely a lot on Tea Tree oil for all kinds of dog related things. :)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline mull

« Reply #1761 on: September 02, 2016, 09:15:57 pm »
Mull midges are reputed to be the worse in Scotland.
My usual way of combating them is plaster loads of Tesco Soleil suncare oil on . I like the smell but it seems to put the midges off.
Seriously they really are a problem and SARDA have issued us with Midgenets to put over our heads. They work to an extent but I find wearing one hinders me working with the dog.

Not bothered me this summer as 11 weeks ago I had a fall on a coastal walk and fractured my right leg. CG helicopter winched us up and flew us to Oban. Embarassing but proves it can happen to anyone, just make sure you have a mobile and GPS with you in addition to letting someone know were you are going and for how long.

THink it will be another couple of months before Fly and I are back on call.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1762 on: September 03, 2016, 07:14:59 am »
Sorry to hear about the leg, Mull. Hope things get back to normal soon.

IME Midges tend to be worse near the West Coast and usually at fairly low altitudes. The Mull midges were little carnivores when we were last there and I think that only Ullapool's are quite as voracious. But the advice about not walking in shorts is important anywhere at this time of the year.   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1763 on: September 03, 2016, 10:18:29 am »
Hard luck Mull, take care and hope all is well soon...... $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1764 on: September 03, 2016, 12:21:50 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your accident Mull and hope that you are making a good recovery.    As you have said accidents can happen to anyone, even the most experienced walker and the advise you gave is sound.  I also carry a head torch and whistle with me just in case anything happens.
Those rescuers do an incredible job as you know yourself being one.     Let's hope that you are back on the hills soon and that the midges and ticks are nowhere to be seen.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1765 on: September 07, 2016, 07:32:09 pm »
On Monday, my friend Tellytubby and I decided to have a walk to Melynllyn and Dulyn, two lakes in a remote part of the Carneddau.    We started the walk from the car park in Cwm Eigiau and followed the track uphill.   It was raining slightly at the start of the walk so we donned our waterproof jackets but by the time we reached Cwm Dulyn we were baking hot, so the jackets came off and the rain had stopped anyway.    The path is high above the valley and the climb is gradual and takes you to Melynllyn which is a small lake set in a rocky bowl at the head of the valley with steep slopes of the Carneddau peaks rising above it      Just before we got to the lake  we came across the ruins of an abandoned water mill and we were fascinated by it as it is so remote. I bet it could tell a few stories!
It had started drizzling again so we dropped down the steep slope to Dulyn, now if Meynllyn’s setting was dramatic then  Dulyn’s  is doubly so with the dark steep cliffs all around the lake.   A propellor from an unfortunate Douglas Dakota sits on the shore of the lake and is a grim reminder of the past.
By this time we were ready for our lunch so the Dulyn Bothy looked inviting and we stayed there eating our sandwiches and having a drink while the wind and rain continued outside.   The bothy was clean and neat inside and a credit to the band of volunteers who look after the place.   It’s a shame that even in this beautiful and very remote area you still get the morons carrying out acts of vandalism but thankfully those sick acts are not representative of the majority of visitors to this place.
Soon the rain stopped, the Sun came out and we set off once again. the path out of the valley is above the bothy and parallel with the Afon Dulyn but we veered off it and went across the river and up a very steep and marshy hill.    Mull’s very wise and sensible words of not wearing shorts went through my mind as the water from the marsh splashed all over my legs but I was lucky this time and wasn’t bitten by any ticks or other nasties!     After a few stops, we huffed and puffed our way up to the water board  track and then followed it downhill just making a detour to see the ruins of Ty’n Rhos farm where our forum member SGBright’s ancestors once lived.
Then it was back to the car and Talgoed  Nursery for a nice coffee.  The walk was a circular walk of just over 7 miles which we really enjoyed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1766 on: September 07, 2016, 07:35:11 pm »
Melynllyn and Dulyn

Offline Jack

« Reply #1767 on: September 07, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »
Stunning Hugo, one of my favourite areas of the Carneddau  $walesflag$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1768 on: September 08, 2016, 07:40:17 am »
It's a great walk, mainly because the Carneddau are often ignored by visitors. Good to see the bothy's still staying intact; used the one near Llewelyn several times. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #1769 on: September 08, 2016, 11:26:09 am »
Looks a nice walk Hugo. You very lucky living were you do.
I note your good advice about carrying a small torch with you, just in case, especialy this time of the year when it is going darker earlier.
Earlier this week Arran MRT and SARDA dog were called out to 3 people disorientated and benighted on Goat Fell. Soon found and all ended well but shows how easy it is to be caught out especially if the weather goes off.