Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 208770 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #810 on: December 29, 2023, 01:38:56 pm »
To be fair, I think that everyone was notified by CCBC of the change in collection dates but still put their bins out the night before the bins were due to be collected.
Bearing in mind that we are having gale force winds at present, perhaps it's not the wisest thing to do.      I waited until the bin men were in the street before taking my bin down and a near neighbour was already out collecting his rubbish that had blown down the street.   He had put his bins out the night before and they had all blown over

Offline Hugo

« Reply #811 on: December 30, 2023, 05:21:28 pm »
Tornado alert issued for Wales as stormy weather arrives in region
It comes after a suspected tornado caused damage to homes in Greater Manchester on Wednesday

I can think of much better ways of welcoming the New Year in     

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tornado-alert-issued-wales-stormy-28368551

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
High chance of 'brutal' snow and ice blast being worst in Wales for 14 years
Most forecasters suspect a cold front is heading this way

Meteorologists are predicting a cold snap and many suspect it could be severe. High pressure is due to settle over North Wales this weekend and confidence is rising that this could be the prelude to a ?major cold spell?.

Snow and freezing temperatures are thought likely in the middle of January if the high pressure migrates northwest as predicted. If this happens, online experts at Realweather said this will ?open the floodgates? to a cold blast.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/high-chance-brutal-snow-ice-28389233

Offline Hugo

« Reply #813 on: January 05, 2024, 10:45:28 am »
Makes a change from the wind and rain   :o              There's bound to be a hosepipe ban coming our way soon the way the weather is changing 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #814 on: January 13, 2024, 09:15:29 am »
According to BBC Weather, light snow showers and sleet are forecast in some areas of North Wales.

Denbigh and Ruthin could see sleet or light snow as early as Monday and Tuesday.

In coastal areas like Rhyl and Prestatyn, snow is most likely to fall after 5pm on Thursday.

Further along the coast in Conwy, Colwyn Bay and Llandudno, any snow or sleet is likely to come on Wednesday and Thursday. On Thursday, hail showers are also forecast

Offline SteveH

« Reply #815 on: January 15, 2024, 10:28:30 am »
Met Office issues 72-hour snow and ice warning for North Wales
By Thursday, the forecaster expects the wintry weather to be affecting a large swathe of Wales

Two yellow weather warnings for snow and ice have been issued for North Wales by the Met Office. The alerts indicate that snow may fall on the region for three days in the coming week.

The forecaster warns longer spells of snow are possible from Tuesday to Thursday (January 16-18). As they become more frequent, they are likely to ?cause further disruption to travel?.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/met-office-issues-72-hour-28443572

Also BBC report
Bitter Arctic winds to bring snow to UK this week
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67975792

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #816 on: January 15, 2024, 10:37:39 am »
This could be rather nasty. We seem to be getting the first phase of a Polar vortex and the ice and snow round here is untouched by the sun shining down on it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #817 on: January 16, 2024, 01:05:16 pm »
There was about an inch of snow on the ground when I got up this morning and after breakfast my first job was clearing the snow from my drive.
I had to do it because the heating engineer is coming here this evening as the boiler is on the blink and the weather is due to get colder

Offline Hugo

« Reply #818 on: January 20, 2024, 04:19:36 pm »
Weather alerts and speed restriction on A55 as North Wales braces for Storm Isha
People are being warned of possible flooding, damage to buildings and 'danger to life'

The weather up here on Colwyn Heights is atrocious with gale force winds and driving rain.    Tomorrow they have said will be even worse  which is hard to imagine now,      I hope that anyone venturing out today will take extra care in these conditions

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-weather-alerts-speed-restriction-28483633

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #819 on: January 20, 2024, 06:15:47 pm »
The wind will gust up to 90mph, Hugo. It'll be coming from the SW, so the hill will protect the town.  Quite nasty.

If the rain is heavy, then the wind effects will be reduced.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hammy

« Reply #820 on: January 20, 2024, 08:48:35 pm »
Hmm, not looking forward to being in the face of 90 mph gusts in our hilltop abode!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #821 on: January 21, 2024, 12:19:34 am »
Weather maps and charts as Storm Isha hurtles towards Wales at 95mph      An amber warning is in place due to the storm

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/weather-maps-charts-storm-isha-28485129

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #822 on: January 21, 2024, 05:55:51 pm »
Almost the whole country is now under an Amber warning; from the way things are going at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if we had a 100mph gust at some point.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: January 21, 2024, 06:33:11 pm »
As of nine minutes ago, the Amber warning now covers the entire UK.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #824 on: January 21, 2024, 11:09:52 pm »
We have a small leak in the kitchen ceiling and it only happens when we have gales and the wind is in a certain direction, like tonight!    :(