Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 208735 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #750 on: March 09, 2023, 09:27:06 am »
Morning Hugo snow looks good up there. Yes my grandson is off school. Covering in llanrhos.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #751 on: March 09, 2023, 09:54:36 am »
Light covering in Llandudno, but very wet and windy blowing from North Shore for a change............

The DP piece below, showing Colwyn Bay with heavy snow all morning .......

North Wales hour by hour snow forecast as second day of winter weather bites
Met Office maps predict where there snow is set to fall and when there could be rain

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-hour-hour-snow-26425325?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: March 09, 2023, 10:26:28 am »
The alert status was upgraded to Amber...at 0830 this morning.  Not a lot of use for forward planning, then.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #753 on: March 09, 2023, 10:26:52 am »
Morning Hugo snow looks good up there. Yes my grandson is off school. Covering in llanrhos.

I walked down Wentworth Avenue earlier and went past the school to the shops.   The snow was quite deep there and few vehicles were able to get up the slope from Troon Way.    It's still snowing now so the school will probably be closed tomorrow too

Offline SteveH

« Reply #754 on: March 10, 2023, 10:41:19 am »
After days of snow and ice, Storm Larisa brings blizzards to UK
The storm has been named because of the danger it poses with high winds and heavy rain

Storm Larisa is set to batter parts of the the UK with gales and blizzards overnight on Friday. The Met Office has issued three amber warnings for northern England, the Midlands, North Wales and Northern Ireland, where ?significant disruption? to transport and power supplies is expected.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/after-days-snow-ice-storm-26436113?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Met Office issues ice alert for North Wales
The latest warning came into force this morning on the back of three days of heavy snow

The Met Office has issued a weather warning for ice, as snow continues to cause major disruption across the region again today, shutting schools and closing roads. The yellow alert came into force at 9.30am today and lasts until 10am tomorrow (Saturday), covering Wrexham, Flintshire, Denbighshire, Conwy and Gwynedd.

Ice is likely to form where snow has fallen, the national weather agency said. A Met Office forecast said: "Whilst falling snow will clear from the south and east of the warning area in the next few hours, lying snow and ice will likely continue to be a hazard through the rest of this morning.
cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/met-office-issues-ice-alert-26437445#source=breaking-news

Offline Hugo

« Reply #755 on: March 10, 2023, 12:37:10 pm »
Capel Curig records deepest snow in UK as North Wales battered for third day
Schools shut, roads closed with multiple crashes as rail and bus services cancelled

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/capel-curig-records-deepest-snow-26438198

Online mull

« Reply #756 on: March 10, 2023, 11:04:12 pm »
Just had the most spectacular day.
Left home at 0600 then on 0720 ferry from Fishnish, drove accross Morven to Corran ferry, then on to Fort William.

Weather very cold all day, although crystal clear all the way. It really was a spectacular drive in both directions. Been living here 27 years now but I don't think I have ever seen it so clear all day.

Hope all you folks in North Wales are keeping warm and coping with the snow.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #757 on: March 11, 2023, 10:49:38 am »
That sounds like one of those once in a life experiences and I'm so pleased that it happened for you.   Living so far up north, do you ever
get to see the Northern Lights?    That must be a wonderful experience too

My drive is covered in about 6 inches of snow and this is the third day I've been snowed in.     It's sunny at the moment so I'll just have a coffee first and then start clearing the snow away
Hope that you are all safe and warm up there on the island

Offline Hugo

« Reply #758 on: March 11, 2023, 02:20:11 pm »
I've just spent over an hour cleaning the snow off the drive and then came in for lunch, but it's started snowing heavily again.   Ah well, that's a job for me to do tomorrow       

Online mull

« Reply #759 on: March 12, 2023, 11:15:14 am »
Noticed on the West Shore webcam yesterday all the snow behind Conway and Penmaenmawr, looked cold.

Up here it has been calm, clear and cold for about the past 10 days, heavy overnight frosts. No snow up here yet this winter, just an occasional flurry.
 Started an outside job with great gusto moving stone and gravel, rearranging the garden to Mrs Mull's directions. After a couple of days injured my shoulder/neck and had stop for 3 days to let it recover.
Finished the job on Thursday and we decided to have a day out in Fort William on Friday before the weather went downhill.
Saturday started bright but by teatime it was starting to rain, with a cold SE gale. This morning still blowing hard and raining.

We have seen the Northern Lights up here but missed the show last Sunday night, We were sat watching the TV and only found out about it Monday morning. A display was expected on Monday night but it turned out cloudy here.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #760 on: March 23, 2023, 10:32:49 am »
Dwr Cymru has say on drought fears following 'very dry' February
Only 22% of the average rainfall fell last month, sparking concerns

Dwr Cymru, which supplies drinking water to large parts of North Wales, said its reservoirs are in a good position.

It did urge people to be careful about how they use water. A spokesperson for the water company said: ?Despite a very dry February with only 22% of the average rainfall across our operating area there has been a lot of rain so far in March and forecasters are predicting more wet weather to come.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dwr-cymru-say-drought-fears-26532497?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Met Office issues flood warnings for North Wales with more heavy rain on the way
One alert stretches across a large part of the region's coast  for 22nd mar.

Thursday:
Remaining windy on Thursday with sunny intervals and further scattered showers, heavy and perhaps thundery. Staying mild. Maximum temperature 14 ?C.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/met-office-issues-flood-warnings-26528921?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #761 on: March 24, 2023, 10:32:01 am »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2023, 10:15:58 am »
Have to put the new garden furniture back in the garage  :(  I think the worst is further south.    Ian ?

Wales weather warning for 60mph wind gusts from Tuesday

Wind gusts of 60mph (96 km/hr) could cause disruption across Wales this week.

The Met Office alert comes into force from 15:00 BST on Tuesday and is expected to last until 06:00 on Wednesday for most for the country.

However, it could cause disruption until midnight on Wednesday for parts of west and south Wales.

Gusts of up to 50 mph (80 km/hr) are possible inland with in excess of 60mph around coastal areas, it has said.

Falling tree narrowly misses woman in beer garden
The weather warning said some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely.

Some short term loss of power and other services is also possible.

The wind warning for all day on Wednesday covers Bridgend, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Neath Port Talbot, Pembrokeshire, Swansea and Vale of Glamorgan    ref BBC

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #763 on: April 10, 2023, 10:31:22 am »
Have to put the new garden furniture back in the garage  :(  I think the worst is further south.    Ian ?

Might be.  It's a confused picture, not least because the jet stream is behaving oddly. But yes;  on balance I'd make sure there was nothing loose in the garden.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #764 on: April 10, 2023, 10:45:54 am »
Thanks for that, and the good advice.