Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 208775 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #735 on: January 17, 2023, 10:26:24 am »
Wales' schools shut and travel hit by snow and ice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64290421

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #736 on: January 17, 2023, 10:28:02 am »
The hour-by-hour guide to where it's going to snow in Wales on Tuesday and Wednesday
Bands of snow move repeatedly across the nation on Tuesday and Wednesday with lots of sunny spells

We've captured the periods of snowfall according to the maps from today until Friday. The colours shown on the maps correspond to the type of precipitation (rain is blue, snow is white and hail is orange) and the darker the colour the heavier that precipitation is - so white is light snow, and dark grey forecasts heavy snowfall.

maps  https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/hour-hour-guide-its-going-25995103?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great British Weather Debate....When do the nights get lighter
« Reply #737 on: January 21, 2023, 10:12:50 am »
For all SAD sufferers... https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/overview/    I do not think I have this disorder, but I certainly go into hibernation and look forward to spring................

You know how it goes, you wake up in the dark, go to work, and by time it's hit 5pm, it's dark again.

And living life in the constant dark and dreary weather can be very draining. But don't worry, as each day is getting lighter from now until summer.

People around the UK will soon start to notice that the days are beginning to get noticeably brighter. The country has been seeing just over two minutes of extra light every day since the Winter Solstice on December 21.

From January 18 onwards the pace will increase and the UK will get an extra hour of daylight a month. However, it won't be until March that the sun starts setting after 6pm - but exactly what date that happens will depend on where you live.

Read more https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/when-do-the-nights-get-lighter-and-why-do-we-change-the-clocks/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #738 on: January 31, 2023, 10:09:25 am »
I am hoping Ian will tell us, they have got it wrong ......PLEASE

A 'frozen donut at the top of the world' is set to bring snow and a 3,000-mile circle of winds as the UK marches into another cold snap. The 'North Pole donut' is set to bring chills and snow to Britain in the coming weeks.

Cold air is set to seep south after the loop of polar vortex winds weakens this week, letting out bitter air trapped inside the Arctic Circle, the Daily Star reports. The Beast from the East in 2018 and the month-long "Deep Freeze" in 2010 were both caused by the same phenomenon.

Forecasters warn of snow flurries next weekend and beyond, with cold spells, freezing nights and frosts during February.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/frozen-donut-top-world-bring-26112810

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #739 on: January 31, 2023, 11:56:56 am »

I doubt we'll see much in the way of snow. Low temps, of course, Colwyn Bay and Llandudno are both mainly protected from, but inland they could plummet. But this vortex has been threatening to break for some time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #740 on: January 31, 2023, 03:30:11 pm »

I doubt we'll see much in the way of snow. Low temps, of course, Colwyn Bay and Llandudno are both mainly protected from, but inland they could plummet. But this vortex has been threatening to break for some time.

Thanks for that, I will keep my fingers crossed, we have not done to bad so far, hopeful it will not get to cold for those inland, not forgetting those high up, look out Hugo ! !

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: February 01, 2023, 10:57:22 am »
I forgot to mention another salient point, which is that we're currently moving away from the sun (in summer we're two million miles further away than in winter) but our inclination towards the sun is increasing, so the weather will inextricably warm.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #742 on: February 01, 2023, 11:04:18 am »
I forgot to mention another salient point, which is that we're currently moving away from the sun (in summer we're two million miles further away than in winter) but our inclination towards the sun is increasing, so the weather will inextricably warm.

I had to look this up, very surprising......... During part of the year, Earth is closer to the Sun than at other times. However, in the Northern Hemisphere, we are having winter when Earth is closest to the Sun and summer when it is farthest away!

But,I have always been inclined towards the sun    8)

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great British Weather Debate.....Pollution warning
« Reply #743 on: February 15, 2023, 10:21:58 am »
Hopefully not as extreme as the photo, but be careful if you have breathing difficulties....

Saharan dust cloud set to bring 'colourful sunsets' to North Wales
The plume of dust is set to arrive in the region today

A plume of Saharan dust is expected to pass over North Wales this week. People in the region may be treated to some spectacular sunsets - but may also need to get the car washed - when the rare phenomenon sweeps through.

North Wales Storm Watch posted on their Facebook site yesterday: "A plume of red dust is heading our way, arriving tomorrow and lasting into Wednesday with some rain. This could produce some very colourful sunsets..."

Saharan dust is expected to reach the country later today and hang around until Wednesday 15. Saharan dust is relatively common in the UK, often happening several times a year when big dust storms in the Sahara coincide with southerly wind patterns.

In certain weather situations, Saharan dust can also affect air pollution and pollution levels. As in other parts of the world, the wind can blow strongly over deserts - whipping up dust and sand high into the sky, the Met Office say.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/saharan-dust-cloud-set-bring-26234267

Offline SteveH

« Reply #744 on: February 24, 2023, 10:22:20 am »
ALTHOUGH it is starting to feel more spring-like, wintry weather is set to return in the coming weeks with snow forecast for Conwy.

Weather forecaster, WX Charts, is predicting snowfall in the region, with the heaviest snow at the beginning of March.

It comes after the Met Office warned a major Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) is likely to happen in the next couple of weeks.

WX Charts, which is part of MetDesk, is forecasting that a blanket of snow of up to 10cm could fall per hour during Saturday, 11 March.

Lower levels of snow are due from Sunday, 5 March, with the heaviest snowfall to be seen in Flintshire, Conwy and Denbighshire from Thursday, 9 March onwards.   ref pioneer

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great British Weather Debate....Northern Lights
« Reply #745 on: February 27, 2023, 10:12:27 am »
Northern Lights 'likely' to be seen again tonight after stunning display in Wales, England, Ireland and Scotland
'Ideally, the lights will be best viewed away from any light pollution, in remote areas, facing the northern horizon'

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/northern-lights-likely-seen-again-26337983

Offline SteveH

« Reply #746 on: March 02, 2023, 10:28:19 am »
Maps show where snow is set to fall in North Wales as Arctic blast expected
Wintry conditions are set to arrive by the weekend

Weather maps show parts of Wales could be hit by spells of snow and freezing temperatures during March. Up to 11cms of snow could fall in parts of Wales in mid-March.

Only a few coastal areas such as Anglesey are forecast to avoid the white stuff. Maps show that snow is set to fall on Sunday evening and Monday evening.

More spells of snow are then possible on March 11 and March 12. A bitter frost has been sweeping the country as of late despite February coming to an end, with the Met Office recording temperatures of -7.9C in Altnaharra, Scotland on Sunday.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/maps-show-snow-set-fall-26360268

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2023, 11:53:49 am »
I suspect we could see snow tomorrow and Friday.  Still a lot of uncertainty (when is there not?) but the snow will arrive in the early hours of Thursday and is currently expected to drop around 4cm per hour over the subsequent five or six hours.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #748 on: March 08, 2023, 02:50:12 pm »
Well it has already started snowing here on Colwyn Heights Ian.  It's just a steady fall of small snow flakes but it doesn't seem to be sticking  yet!
We'll see what happens overnight

Offline Hugo

« Reply #749 on: March 09, 2023, 08:41:25 am »
It's still snowing up here on Colwyn Heights.    It's also bin day today and the bin lorry arrived on time so full credit to those bin men who work in all types of weather conditions