Author Topic: Cars  (Read 283558 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cars
« Reply #1170 on: June 03, 2023, 10:13:37 am »
Diesel prices fell by a record 12p per litre on average in the UK last month, according to the RAC.

Pump prices dropped from about ?1.59 to ?1.47, the group said, cutting the cost of filling up a family car by ?6.50.

The RAC said the reduction was the largest monthly drop it had seen since it began monitoring prices in 2000.

But the motoring group argued the drop in price was "both long overdue and smaller than it should be" due to wholesale prices being lower.

The British Retail Consortium, which represents supermarkets, said "big cuts" had been made to diesel prices in response to falling wholesale costs.

Diesel prices are now down more than 25% from 2022 highs, after falling for seven months in a row.

The fuel hit a ?1.99 per litre high last summer after oil prices soared following Russian's invasion of Ukraine.

Petrol prices have also been falling steadily since then and dropped from ?1.46 to ?1.43 on average last month, figures from the RAC said.

The motoring group has suggested that prices have not come down as fast or by as much as they should have, noting that prices were significantly lower in Northern Ireland.

The RAC said the cut should have been more significant to fully reflect changes in the wholesale market because diesel wholesale costs had been lower than petrol for 10 weeks.

In May, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) announced it was investigating fuel prices and whether a "failure in competition" had meant drivers overpaid.

The watchdog said it was "concerned about the sustained higher margins on diesel compared to petrol" so far this year.

It said evidence it had gathered so far suggested at least one supermarket had set a higher target for its profit margin on fuel prices in 2022, which could have led rivals to follow suit and raise prices too.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65792333

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #1171 on: June 04, 2023, 12:34:37 pm »
Three Castles Classic Car Rally is in Llandudno from Tuesday to Saturday.  Starting from the Prom on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the 100 cars will tackle 500 miles of our excellent roads with special tests on private land.  The Orme tests are first thing Friday.  Info on www.three-castles.co.uk

Offline SteveH

Re: Cars...........Petition to stop 20mph speed limit
« Reply #1172 on: June 06, 2023, 09:51:02 am »
Petition to stop 20mph speed limit in Wales closes early after getting more than 20,000 signatures
'An alteration to road laws on this scale should be subject to much more extensive polling'

A Senedd petition titled "Stop the change of speed limits to 20mph on 17th September" has now been signed by more than 21,000 people. When a Senedd petition receives more than 250 signatures it is discussed by the Petitions Committee in the Welsh Parliament. If a petition gets 10,000 signatures, it will be considered for a debate in the Senedd.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/petition-stop-20mph-speed-limit-27062408

Offline DVT

« Reply #1173 on: June 06, 2023, 02:26:30 pm »
The whole suggestion of 20mph should never have got as far as it has.  There could well be more accidents as drivers are watching their speedo rather than the road ahead.  Such a low speed also is not good for the environment due to lower gear and greater emissions, as well as finace for the driver due to inefficiency of driving at low speed in a lower gear.

I agree in some places such as outside schools, although there should be more teaching of road safety to children ... whatever happened to the Green Cross Code?  The way things are going, with priority for "vulnerable" road users, it will create a situation where those individuals tend to take risks without thinking, and create more accidents and injuries.

Drive safely - watch what is going on ahead and around you, and judge your speed by what you see.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1174 on: June 09, 2023, 10:04:58 am »
Three Castles Classic Car Rally is in Llandudno from Tuesday to Saturday.  Starting from the Prom on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the 100 cars will tackle 500 miles of our excellent roads with special tests on private land.  The Orme tests are first thing Friday.  Info on www.three-castles.co.uk

Three Castles Trial 2023 - Llandudno Startline video      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfB2cUwk_Q

Radio Wyn
8 Jun 2023
Join me as we watch the classic and vintage cars make their start for the Tree Castles Trial. The first car set off from Llandudno Promenade at 8am on the 8th of June 2023.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1175 on: June 12, 2023, 10:01:31 am »
A parking firm has lost a civil case against a motorist over an unpaid ?160 fine after she requested the details in Welsh rather than just in English.

A judge ruled against Simple Intelligent Parking Ltd, which had not provided information bilingually.

Elysteg Llwyd Thomas from Dyffryn Nantlle, Gwynedd, had been sent details of an initial ?60 fine in English.

The firm told S4C Newyddion that it was disappointed and intended to appeal against the decision.

Ms Thomas sent a reply to say that she would be ready to pay once the company sent all correspondence bilingually, including a copy of the fine, following a stay at Lligwy beach, near Moelfre, Anglesey, in August 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65865223

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1176 on: June 27, 2023, 10:14:59 am »
Tesco latest to cut petrol and diesel prices as AA says prices slowly coming down
Tesco has started to pass on wholesale cuts but competition watchdog thinks supermarkets have increased profit margins in recent years

Tesco has started to cut fuel prices at its stations as the AA says prices are slowly coming down. Prices have fallen gradually in recent months after spiking suddenly a year ago.

They do however remain around 15p higher than in 2019. The AA says the average motorist is paying 143.47p for a litre of petrol now, compared to 188.74p a year ago following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tesco-latest-cut-petrol-diesel-27181127?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline DVT

« Reply #1177 on: June 27, 2023, 12:35:51 pm »
Shell V-Power isn't coming down at the same rate.  Not long ago V-Power and Diesel were the same price, now Diesel has dropped to same price as the E10 stuff.

I bought my current car in December 2018, V-Power was ?1.379 ...it went as high as ?2.079 in July 2022 and is now standing at ?1.619 per litre.

My car will run on the standard fuel but about 10% less mpg and drop in oomph, so the cost difference does balance out.

Note that beer is more expensive!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1178 on: July 04, 2023, 10:02:29 am »
Petrol prices at Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury?s and Morrisons hiked by higher margins says watchdog
Two recommendations from Competition and Markets Authority to tackle the issue

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/petrol-prices-tesco-asda-sainsburys-27249625?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1179 on: July 19, 2023, 11:39:03 am »
Inflation: Car insurance 'shock' as premiums rise 40%

Drivers are in for a "shock" as insurance premiums are up 40% on last year, according to a comparison site.

Research by Cardiff-based Confused.com has found an increase in claims and more expensive repairs have led to the record rise in costs.

The firm's boss Steve Dukes said some drivers had already seen "hefty increases in their premium".

Car insurance now costs an average of ?776 a year, up ?222 compared to last year and the highest on record.

The news comes as inflation in the UK dropped to 7.9% in the year to June, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66236110

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1180 on: July 24, 2023, 09:52:43 am »
Welsh Government advice as 20mph speed limit set for Wales' roads

THE WELSH Government has provided a list of 'things you may not know about' the incoming default 20mph speed limits for Wales' roads.

From September 17, most 30mph speed limits in Wales are changing to 20mph.

This will make Wales one of the world?s first countries to have a default 20mph limit.

This is, according to the Welsh Government, to 'keep our communities safer and improve quality of life'.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23674198.welsh-government-advice-20mph-speed-limit-set-wales-roads/

Offline DVT

« Reply #1181 on: August 10, 2023, 04:14:40 pm »
I wonder how long it will be before we are rid of all those "awful polluting internal combustion engined cars" off our roads ... it won't be long before we can only buy new cars that are electric - which will mean many will run their cars for much longer as they cannot afford the change.

There was, last weekend, the Veteran Car Club's Prescot Hillclimb - there were 250 entries, the newest car was made in 1941 and the cars are still legal to be driven on the road.  The London-Brighton run in November features about the same number of cars, some dating back to the 19th century.

So, it could be about the year 2350 ... by which time we will have exhausted the supply of lithium and China will rule the world.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1182 on: August 12, 2023, 09:49:46 am »
 :o

Offline DVT

« Reply #1183 on: August 12, 2023, 11:15:07 am »
I filled my car yesterday, having last done it two weeks ago - price of V-Power had gone up by 45 pence a gallon since last visit !!!

As yesterday was my tenth visit Shell very kindly have given me ?1.20 off my next visit ... I wonder what they think of my reply to their request for comments about the rewards!

New car due November, so it will be cheaper petrol and twice the mpg - and it won't need charging points.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1184 on: August 12, 2023, 02:33:18 pm »
Having been scathing to Shell about their poor rewards I have just had a message giving me a ?3 voucher off my next fill!